Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

New Mega64 LP? Hype.

And it's Mother 3? PK HYPE OMEGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is where the genius of Mother 3's game design becomes evident.

When in battle, the attack icon is a musical note. Combine this with the ridiculously large amount of catchy battle themes, and the completely natural propensity of players to tap the button to speed up scrolling text/enjoy the music. Boom, the game leveraged the player's behaviour to teach them about timed hits wordlessly.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like that Tazmily has most of the comforts and services of modern civilization but no one uses them the way they're supposed to be used because they're not exactly sure how. There's a shop, but there's no concept of money so the shopkeeper just gives stuff away. There's a master thief, but everyone shares everything anyway so there's nothing to steal. There's a jail, but no crime.

It's like they're children pretending to be adults.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Glazius posted:

I love Alec's attempt to explain everything to Flint, trying to convince himself Flint's... acting more normal.

I never thought of it like that. It makes so much sense.

"So, Flint, I notice you're not giving in and planning on doing something rash. Yep, those clenched fists and that furious scowl are the hallmarks of an even-tempered demeanor."

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Is it just me, or are the male zombies kind of dressed like Ness?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

How Ingratiating! posted:

Maybe it's hard to tell from the sprites, but that's patchy red hair, not a hat. Sometimes a striped shirt is just a striped shirt.

It was the patch of red in the back of the head as well. It looked kind of like a hat (it still does to me). I wasn't trying to imply that it was him, obviously, just that the design might be a callback or something.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

For all its faults, this chapter is very good at establishing characters. We're only one update in and so far everyone is already sympathetic to Salsa's plight, and hates Fassad with a burning passion.

Seriously, gently caress Fassad.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I admit that I got goosebumps when Salsa pounced on the controls for his shock collar. Up yours, Fassad!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That's awesome!

Now, for the other question: What the heck is "Tonda Gossa"?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I don't think they're that broken up about disappearing, really. From what we've seen so far, they seem to be aloof about everything, and the only thing that creates a sense of urgency for them is the need for Lucas to pull the needles before someone else does.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I really like the way Tazmily has changed over the course of the game. The changes are really subtle and inconspicuous, but they're presented in such a way that it makes you feel like there's something seriously wrong with what is going on.

The Pigmasks are really intriguing antagonists too. At first they're faceless, but then the game shows how some people in town are joining they're side, and after that it shows you that most of them are just ordinary people that are being used by someone who's pulling the strings from the shadows.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yeah, I wasn't big on the save frogs when I first played Mother 3 because I did so in the original Japanese (which I do not speak) and the frogs were a departure from the phones on Mother and EarthBound. Seeing them here shows me what I missed.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There is! Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks. For everything. I think I'm going to go cry now.

Before I forget, though: I remember reading a few years ago that one of the Mother 3 soundtracks had some images showing the inhabitants of the Nowhere Islands rebuilding after the ending of the game. I can't find them for the life of me though. It doesn't show anything groundbreaking, but it's nice to see that the people are able to rebuild again.

• Locked thread