Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Widestancer posted:

What exactly happened to JRPG's?

They seem shittier now. Am I just using nostalgia goggles or are they actually way shittier?

In short anime.

Companies learned they can just shove a bunch of moe bullshit into a game and it'll sale a bunch to otaku no matter how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ekster posted:

tbh a lot of jrpgs are made for teenagers and young adults, doesn't mean that it can't be fun but it won't have the same charm at 28 than when it did at 14 years.

the last great jrpg I really enjoyed was radiata stories, everything else seems merely 'okay' so far

Radiata stories owned and it's a shame Square stopped doing cool one-offs like that after the ps2. The last console JRPG I played that was actually good was Ni No Kuni and that started wearing out it's welcome by the end.

[e] Speaking of Square, what's going on with Dragon Quest? It feels like we haven't got anything for years outside the ios port of 8.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

stoutfish posted:

kingdom hearts 3 is going to be the worst thing imaginable

Kingdom Hearts problem is it got way to anime. As the series went on the plot got way more overly complicated and way more OC characters were added than Disney. It's a shame too because the actual gameplay part got better.

[e] If I ever make a fortune I'mma make a SMTxDic game series that's just heathcliff getting torn apart by demons.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Iggy Koopa posted:

i like kingdom hearts a lot and when my friends asked me how i could stand the story i just kinda chuckled because who the gently caress pays attention to the story in a square/disney crossover game, like seriously. no one does right guys? right!?!?

The first one's plot was pretty simple. Then the spin-offs started happening and well..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think Legend of Dragoon is my FF7. It's difficulty was perfect for dumb kid me and it might have been the only multi disk game I came close to beating. I still remember a lot about it even though I haven't played it in years like the rad boss themes or how to do the gust of wind dance right.

[e] Also it did the killing of party members thing multiple times.

• Locked thread