Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I never get tired of playing JRPGs and I probably never will. Not all of them, there are a lot I can't stand, but tons I like.

I just finished Mother 3. I remember playing it when the translation first released but I was kind of drifting in a psychiatrist-prescribed drug haze so didn't remember most of it. Fun game, but some seriously wild shifts in tone. I liked how the battles keep you involved with the rhythm matching. I don't know if there's anything missable or any secrets or anything, but it felt pretty complete. I will say the final 2 bosses were huge letdowns. Real final boss was definitely Miracle Fassad.

Next up I think I'll play Dragon Quest 3 (SNES version). Kind of feel like I need to play the other ones I've never played as well, 4 thru 7. I don't think I finished 8 either, but I got to the end dungeon.

Feel like I need to wrap up FFX HD and Persona 4 Golden, but I feel more connection to older games. Maybe it's because of my ancient decrepitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Budget inflation and relaxing hardware restrictions killed JRPGs.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

The OP will never stop sucking of men's weiners.

Listen. If sucking wieners produced Chrono Trigger or Lufia 2 -caliber JRPGs, this would be a true statement.

Speaking of Lufia 2, I think it was the only time I ever felt anything but disappointment or apathy at the ending sequence of an RPG. I was surprised at how strong of a reaction I felt.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I actually enjoy that part of RPGs when you get to a new town and see shops full of equipment upgrades you can't afford. When that happens, it's time to hunt the local wildlife until you are decked out in the local finery, and then go plunder caves or whatever where you'll undoubtedly find the gear you just paid money for, for free.

Grinding for its own sake is boring bullshit when you're in a strictly turn-based game without any dynamic elements, but in more active games I don't mind. I don't really remember the last time I had to grind in a game just to progress though, unless I'm doing a challenge like FF5 Fiesta.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I just finished Dragon Quest 4 on the DS, it was quite good. Chapter 5 didn't have any kind of grind at all, for money or levels. There was a lot of fighting, but never just for those resources.

Next up...

Finishing the FF6 mod/hack I was playing? Brave New World.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

SeXReX posted:

there needs to be a word for the feeling of complete and total helplessness you have when loading a jrpg save file you haven't played in months.

The word is "gently caress it"

I just did this for DQ4 though, I looked up a walkthrough until I started seeing story/key item names I didn't own yet, and went from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

No Such Thing posted:

Trails in the Sky was just released on Steam: What/how is Trails in the Sky?

Really good game, but the PC release is buggy for what I'm hearing. The devs have been active on the Steam forums working on collecting bug reports and workarounds though, and fully intend to patch it.

• Locked thread