Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If I paid $40 or whatever I'd be pissed about Dean and Seth. But I have the network. No ppv has ever been worth the price except for wrestlemania and that one money in the bank. Unless you have some friends with $5 and a sixer. Get friends and ppvs are eh at worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There was so much wrong with that show that I don't know where to begin. The number of botches, the mics and camera angles picking up move-calling multiple times, some of the dumb booking (I don't usually factor who wins and loses into the quality of a PPV, but Bray losing to Jericho really was too loving stupid), finishes that just sort of... happened, or cancelling the hottest match on the card.

The general match quality was good, the tag match was very good and if that had been an episode of Raw I'd probably say it was a decent one. As a PPV, though, that was turd. Total turd. If a match is advertised for a PPV, that match drat well better happen on that PPV. You can have it thrown out by DQ or ring out later on, but the core of the match still needs to happen. The #1 thing you never do is advertise something and take it away after people have paid.

No, it's not dying-days WCW bad, nor were any of the winners (even Jericho) as crowd-rilingly stupid choices as the Rumble, but that was still a poo poo event and not being quite as terrible as other events does not redeem it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Unsubscribed. Will resubscribe if Hogan joins Legends House.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
That was a lovely status quo affirming do-nothing PPV. Fine from a wrestling perspective but pointless garbage from a story and entertainment perspective. I am astonished that WWE are this comfortable with half assing things.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

Call Me Charlie posted:

You nerds are just mad your favorite wrestleman didn't win. That was a perfectly servable ppv. Please quit being so melodramatic.

I actually agree with you, the matches, while not great were far from being awful, and the Tag Team Title match was amazing, the Battle Royal actually was one of the better ones since 2000 that wasn't a Royal Rumble match, and the rest of the matches were at least watchable with nothing really sticking out as horribly bad. I am a little upset about the Ambrose vs Rollins fight getting canned but I feel it will build up more heat for a match at SummerSlam. They showed us that we will likely get a Miz vs Ziggler feud for the IC title coming up here, and while nothing really sticks out as especially memorable nothing comes off as horrible either, with the exception of King's jokes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

on the plus side if you think of it as a three hour long main event it was pretty ok i guess

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

But did he finally make the leap back home?

No, he rode around is some loving cage through London or something and nothing made any sense.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The opening match was great. The way Miz stole the battle royal was pretty good...umm the rest, not so great. If that would have cost more than $9.99 I would be so pissed about Seth and Ambrose getting canceled.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Angular Landbury posted:

That was a lovely status quo affirming do-nothing PPV. Fine from a wrestling perspective but pointless garbage from a story and entertainment perspective. I am astonished that WWE are this comfortable with half assing things.

Well, it's not like they're losing subscribers or anything. If there's ever been a time to coast, now the time.

Brokenogre posted:

I actually agree with you

that wasn't a real post :ssh:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the match i was most excited for didn't happen because instead we needed another Raw segment where Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins brawl because they couldn't think of a way to stretch this until Summerslam

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
So how'd it end?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Can you give us some live feedback? Crowd seemed super hot at first, how fast did it die?

It was a really smarky crowd, at least my section was. We were hot for the tag match (and just about everyone was pulling for the Wyatts unless the Usos were doing something to pop the crowd) until the ending, massive boos started up when the Usos set up for their double splash. A little kid behind me tried to start a SAME OLD poo poo chant.

Divas match was eh. Nobody cared either way though there were some Paige chants.

Ambrose got the Jesus pop when he beat down Rollins. When HHH came out everyone assumed he was going to start the match. When he didn't we were all pissed. See you on Thunder!

The Rusev/Swagger match the place was the loudest it was all night outside of the main. They finally figured out how to get people behind Swagger, then the stupid DQ ending shut everyone up.

Bray/Y2J had everyone hot, at least the idea of it. Lots of Wyatt fans, lots of Jerichoholics. Then when the match didn't seem to be going anywhere, and then Jericho busts out a Codebreaker for the win, it more confused anyone by its anticlimax than anything else. Everyone seemed to assume Bray was going over.

For the Battle Royal, Ziggler, Sheamus, Slater, Kofi, Sandow seemed to get the best reactions. Crowd popped huge for Barrett. Khali got booed hard. When it looked like Ziggler was going to win, everyone was happy. Then Miz eliminated him and the crowd was just dead silent.

Dueling Cena chants all through the main. Yes chants, Bryan chants, Same Old poo poo chants, etc etc. Orton still has heat, nobody cares about Kane, everyone loves Roman Reigns. Any time Cena broke up a pin or went for a pin the whole place exploded in boos. They would have been happy with Kane winning it at this point. When Cena won, the Cena fans popped and everyone else shut up. Then we went home.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

So how'd it end?

john cena pinned the demon kane to retain the wwe world heavyweight championship

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Yaya posted:

The G1 Climax is gonna be loving awesome

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
i watched this and di d not think it was good

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm trying to be positive. I really enjoyed the Kofi/Cesaro/Slater spot.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Wow, Battleground was lovely? never saw that coming.

jamcadbury
Nov 12, 2004
South Side Mexican
On a related note, does anyone else think that "the Devil's favorite demon" is the stupidest loving nickname ever? In print it sounds okay, maybe even kind of cool, but when they're cramming into it the middle of a match on repeat it just sounds awful

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This show sucked. The four before it that I paid $10 each for were all worth at least $20 and each of those months, I also got access to every PPV ever, vault content, good original shows, NXT and DVD Documentaries any time I wanted them.

So yes, battleground sucked poo poo, however my value from this service will still greatly exceed the $10 I pay for it and I will continue to pay it because I do not foresee a single month where I will not get more than $10 worth of entertainment.

If a sole lovely PPV is justification enough for you to drop the service, by all means exercise your right to do that but please shut the gently caress up and don't post about it because no one gives a poo poo.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I missed it, did Ambrose/Rollins just not happen?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

yeah it was awesome there was a trunk

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

He aint even joking

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

it was a Tampa Parking Lot Brawl where Ambrose jumped out of the trunk of a car and tried to beat Rollins to death with a tire iron

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They had two segments where they beat on each other to make up for it, I think.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Ambrose attacked Rollins backstage
HHH kicked Ambrose out of the arena, so no match
Rollins went to the ring and demanded he be announced winner by forfeit
After that Ambrose popped up again for the brawl/security/brawl/security thing
Rollins went to leave the arena and Ambrose popped out of a car trunk to attack him again

People think that this this was a much bigger ripoff than 3 minutes of a match ending in a DQ, countout, or whatever bullshit ending they would've done

Luigi Thirty posted:

Really good trip report

For the price of nosebleed seats and arena parking at this show, I'm sitting ringside at a NXT house show and can go see at least one Rays game. I think I chose wisely.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 21, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Jericho won? HAHAHAHAHA I bet even he had to go "Uhhh...wtf? Okay." Also Reigns sucks right now. He's not even 5 moves. He's too early to have the trigger pulled. Rollins and Ambrose and Cesaro and Dolph and...oh who gives a poo poo.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
-opening tag was dope as gently caress
-paige/aj wasn't a bad bout by any stretch and it was refreshing for them to give the women a chance to actually wrestle. i do like the angle wherein paige genuinely thinks aj is her friendly rival but aj is just playing it for the win. that said, the mdk powerbomb spot was uncomfortably jarring and oh man these two kinda flubbed their chance to put on a great women's wrestling match.
-rusev's entrance music will never not remind me of kefka's theme. whole deal was kinda uncomfortable after they actually WENT THERE during the pre-match promo. i guess good for wwe for capitalizing upon CURRENT EVENTS to get heat? i dunno. jack swagger was over, but it was his hometown and also i figure an anthropomorphic can of narragansett (which i happen to be drinking) would have been over given the circumstances.
-ummm, what happened next? wyatt lost to jericho? this one didn't bother me. i know wyatt needed the win and jericho comes back specifically to job to folk, but i do get why jericho would get the nod. he's not rvd. they're gonna go again and wyatt is gonna win. wyatt is gonna win because "I TOLD YEW CHRIS" and outside interference or w/e and it isn't gonna be satisfying, but it'll happen and then jericho woll disappear for another 6 months and none of this will matter.
-if you're gonna do the surprise not eliminated guy spot to end a battle royale, why would you pull the same thing twice in one match? furthermore, why were the announcers surprised when miz "snuck back in?" HE WAS LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ANNOUNCE DESK! LIKE, THE ENTIRE TIME! ziggler/sheamus was raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad though, so... silver linings?
-wrestling logic, but there was no reason for there to be a camera watching seth when he was leaving the building. there was no reason for them to cancel the match between he and ambrose. well, unless they were planning on ending the main event with cena standing tall in the ring with no sign of vulnerability in which case they couldn't just have seth go out there and -

- oh. hmmm.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
also lol @ big e standing there like a doofus while kofi sat on his shoulders getting wailed on by claudio.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I figured Jericho would win, then Bray goes over at a bigger PPV (Summerslam)

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
how about instead of bitching about WWE you guys watch G1 Climax instead

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Opener was the best match of the night by a long-shot and it wasn't even that good.

The Ambrose/Rollins thing would make an interesting Raw but that's about it. Rollins running up and hitting Ambrose in the head while he was being thrown out of the arena was pretty funny.

I don't think even WWE knows what the divas storyline is supposed to be.

I guess instead of actually building Rusev they will just make him look lucky against midcard babyfaces with nothing else to do. A count-out on PPV, because suddenly Swagger is the one to protect here? Biff Tannen and his grandpa are surely the ones to save us from Vladimir Putin.

Jericho and Wyatt looked like they were off-beat from each other through the entire match. I have no clue why they went with Jericho, a 40+ part-timer who is always happy to do jobs and didn't really make sense as the guy to win that. Jericho is also starting to look his age.

IC battle royale was actually pretty good, except for the part where Miz gets to bore the poo poo out of everyone with his bad matches for a while.

Roman Reigns looks exposed even in matches designed to protect him. His entire routine is dumb-looking clotheslines and he seems dull compared to anyone else from the Shield, and those guys didn't even get a match tonight. His ring attire looked stupid and he looked nervous next to Cena doing a full-on Hulk Hogan impersonation. The match sucked, too.

TL:DR This was a pretty bad PPV that was in a holding pattern for Summerslam from start to finish. They could have not had this PPV at all and you would not be able to tell the difference tomorrow. The company is not weathering its current rash of injuries very well.

On the bright side, only another two million Cena/Orton matches before one of them retires.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 21, 2014

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

On the bright side, only another two million Cena/Orton matches before one of them retires.

I would take a million more Cena/Orton matches if Orton kept getting upset and pissy at the crowd

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A full Ambrose/Rollins match was going to be the brightest spot on an otherwise lackluster card, and stalling out so they have it at Summerslam again isn't really something you do to make fans happy they ordered a PPV. I see people's points about why it was fun, but there's no way a full match given even 12-15 minutes wouldn't have owned the rest of the show.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 21, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MotU posted:

I would take a million more Cena/Orton matches if Orton kept getting upset and pissy at the crowd

I second this notion. Orton is typically bland for me, but crazy-eyed Orton talking back or reacting to the crowd is when I see why he's been a main event guy for so long.

As examples of this behavior, I cite his facial expressions when RKOing Christian on the announce table after their MitB 2011 match, and him flipping out, flailing around the ring and yelling at the crowd "How's that, I've never done that before!" After doing his Vintage Rope DDT from the top turnbuckle to Cena.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I thought the PPV was actually decent and you lot are all crazy.

Tag match owned, Rusev not getting Hassaned owned(and the match wasn't bad either), Jericho vs Wyatt was decent, battle royale was fun, main event was fun. This wasn't ppv of the year or nothing but it was a solid rear end wrestling PPV even if zero storylines were advanced.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This got me really mad when Cesaro, my favorite dude, and basically the only dude I can really bring myself to root for or care about now, got eliminated by Heath loving Slater.

Cancelled my Network subscription immediately. Putting on a piece of poo poo like this is unacceptable imo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Rollins' outfit and theme song are both so terrible I have trouble taking him seriously in a fake sport.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Yaya posted:

The G1 Climax is gonna be loving awesome

and if day 1 is anything to go by, oh my God yes.

Honestly, Battleground felt like a half-assed Prologue going into Summerslam. They could have at least had a bullshit finish with Ambrose and Rollins. Also, is anyone getting a Ryback 2.0 vibe from Reigns? (Being shot up to the Main Event too early, being exposed, fed to Cena, then ultimately ending up with...Titus O'Neil?)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Give Reigns and WWE some credit at least.

He'll be made to shave and cut his hair and join as the long-lost Third Uso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just watched the PPV and thought it was pretty good, surprised to see it getting so much hate?

Also, was there no actual PPV thread?

• Locked thread