Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ordered a Harbor Mobile unlimited sim, let's see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Samsung Galaxy Light for T-Mobile seems to be a decent phone for about 120$ (via amazon), anything in the neighborhood that blows it out of the water for about the same price?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Samsung Galaxy Light for T-Mobile seems to be a decent phone for about 120$ (via amazon), anything in the neighborhood that blows it out of the water for about the same price?

Moto G or Moto E are probably the closest competitors

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the E looks cool but it doesn't have LTE. The G looks awesome but it's 100$ more.

I'll dig around and see if I can find a coupon though :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So apparently unlocking phones is legal now. Does that mean the distinction between, say, AT&T/T-Mobile/Unlocked iPhones that you'll see on swappa or cl is now meaningless?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Anyone here use Ting? My Sprint contract is up next month and with my usage it looks like I'd hit 25-35USD a month w/ Ting which would be loving amazing. Was wanting to by a Z1 Compact and switch to Cricket, but if Ting isn't poo poo I'd love to try it out even if it means staying with my lovely iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

So apparently unlocking phones is legal now. Does that mean the distinction between, say, AT&T/T-Mobile/Unlocked iPhones that you'll see on swappa or cl is now meaningless?
It just means it's already done and AT&T can't stop you from doing it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Anyone here use Ting? My Sprint contract is up next month and with my usage it looks like I'd hit 25-35USD a month w/ Ting which would be loving amazing. Was wanting to by a Z1 Compact and switch to Cricket, but if Ting isn't poo poo I'd love to try it out even if it means staying with my lovely iPhone.

Well, it's Sprint. So if their coverage isn't bad for your lifestyle, it'll be fine. I have some friends and family who are users and fans of Ting, and I probably would've tried that service were it not for Virgin bumping up their prices plus T-Mobile offering the $30 dork plan.

The only complaints I've heard are that tethering is too expensive, but past that Ting is pretty well-regarded based on anecdotal personal chat.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Moto G LTE is $179 at Best Buy if you can swing into stores. Regularly $219

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-cell-phone-unlocked-black/7386012.p?id=1219267043924&skuId=7386012&st=moto%20g&cp=1&lp=1

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, gently caress.

Eh, comparing the 2 they seem pretty much identical except for small stuff like bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.0 and the samsung being able to use a 64gb card and the Moto being able to use a 32gb one.

Moto has a better screen though, simply because of pixel density, and dammit that makes me kinda sad.

I'll learn to live with it though. That's a hell of a deal on the phone. Kinda wish I'd have known about it before I pulled the trigger on the one I have coming in.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, gently caress.

Eh, comparing the 2 they seem pretty much identical except for small stuff like bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.0 and the samsung being able to use a 64gb card and the Moto being able to use a 32gb one.

Moto has a better screen though, simply because of pixel density, and dammit that makes me kinda sad.

I'll learn to live with it though. That's a hell of a deal on the phone. Kinda wish I'd have known about it before I pulled the trigger on the one I have coming in.

I was thinking of returning my Moto E for the that Galaxy but yeah this looks like a slightly sweeter deal. I'm glad Samsung is finally playing the competitive cheap game in America though, it'll fun to see how this cheap war turns out by the end of the year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The difference is that Motorola seems to actually be making an effort to support their budget phones while with Samsung, I wouldn't really bet on it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Galaxy light has removable battery.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Gotta say after a rough first day or two trying to get MMS working and needing to root and freeze some poo poo process bug that Motorola introduced on my phone in a recent update when using it on GSM networks, Cricket has been pretty drat good. The fact that it uses ATT towers has so far meant that I haven't really noticed any drop off in signal from Verizon.

Pretty happy so far for only 35 a month.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God drat the hits keep coming.

Tmobile has the samsung galaxy light on sale on their website at the moment for 99$.

I just got mine in a few hours ago and while it was 20$ more (:argh:) it's so far, a pretty decent phone.

Downside is I miss live tiles for stuff, and I can't seem to move my messages from windows to android, but was able to move them from android to windows pretty easily.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got the Harbor Mobile sim today. It's a Tmobile sim. They basically resell their TMobile business account piece meal and make some money off of it. I don't how long will this business racket last. They seem to be sanctioned by T-Mobile. I am going to use about 50-80GB of data and see if I can get into trouble.

In other news Sprint drops their TMobile buyout plan. I am just happy I will hear more quotes from Legere.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 6, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Just heard about T-Mobile MVNO GIV Mobile.

Reasons it's interesting:
* $45/month for unlimited (2GB at 4G) is competitive
* 8% of your monthly payment goes to a charity of your choice
* unlimited international messaging included
* supports conditional call forwarding (a.k.a. full Google Voice support) and short codes (not premium short codes though)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

Just heard about T-Mobile MVNO GIV Mobile.

Reasons it's interesting:
* $45/month for unlimited (2GB at 4G) is competitive
* 8% of your monthly payment goes to a charity of your choice
* unlimited international messaging included
* supports conditional call forwarding (a.k.a. full Google Voice support) and short codes (not premium short codes though)

Will be adding this (and the other T-Mo MVNO you posted) later today!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I'm about to hit my 500mb monthly data limit on cricket, and I'm curious to see what my speeds will be once they throttle me down. I've read various reports on different forums about people being throttled down so much they could barely use the data function on their phones, yet others have said it was just slow, but tolerable. Cricket's site says "up to" 128Kbps, so that does give them some flexibility. Of course, I wouldn't be in this situation if the built-in Amazon app hadn't decided to blow through ~120MB while I was at work for some reason...

Only 40MB more until I find out! :v:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In my experience, it wasn't the "speed" but the latency (or maybe speed was so low that the low speed called the latency). If I wanted to open a web page, it would just be a blank white screen for a few seconds while it resolved the address. Google Maps was basically unusable. Background data (email, twitter, etc) was fine, because it could just take its sweet time but get there eventually.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FISHMANPET posted:

In my experience, it wasn't the "speed" but the latency (or maybe speed was so low that the low speed called the latency). If I wanted to open a web page, it would just be a blank white screen for a few seconds while it resolved the address. Google Maps was basically unusable. Background data (email, twitter, etc) was fine, because it could just take its sweet time but get there eventually.

Google Maps being unusable would suck, the others are just whatever to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have heard the throttle is different depending on what plan you're going with (i.e. the 500GB/mo having a lower throttle than the 2.5 and 5GB plans).

I'm on the 5GB plan but I've yet to ever go over 4GB...even when tethering to my tablet for like 5 minutes (gently caress that takes a lot more data than I realized...almost 600MB just to sync Keep with my phone).

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Verizon just announced a $60 single-line plan with unlimited voice/text and 2GB of data.

Who cares? Well, it also includes a device subsidy - so you can get an iPhone 5S now for $100 + $60/month for 2 years. It's postpay, but worth considering if you're thinking about the high-end Cricket plan.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

Bisty Q. posted:

Verizon just announced a $60 single-line plan with unlimited voice/text and 2GB of data.

Who cares? Well, it also includes a device subsidy - so you can get an iPhone 5S now for $100 + $60/month for 2 years. It's postpay, but worth considering if you're thinking about the high-end Cricket plan.

Im trying to do a cost comparison between this or going for the verizon prepaid plan + phone.
Does anyone know what the tax and subsidies are the on 60/month plan?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Bisty Q. posted:

drat, i was trying to see if i could get an employee discount on the $60 plan, but i can't seem to get it to work. Anyone else have any luck?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bisty Q. posted:

So $60 plus tax, so more like $67?

Competitive, still with the subsidy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I'm glad mvnos and t-mobile are starting to chip away at Verizon and att's pricing. About time...

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

How long is this gonna be offered? Verizon just has "limited time offer" on their website, but I'm wondering if I should wait until the new iPhone comes out to sign up or if I should just sign up now and get a 5s.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is it possible to buy JUST a phone from Cricket Wireless if you're already an existing customer? I'd like to do an upgrade to the Lumia 630 from my 620. But if I try to buy anything on the Cricket site, you have to add a plan. Is the phone shop only for new customers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BonoMan posted:

Is it possible to buy JUST a phone from Cricket Wireless if you're already an existing customer? I'd like to do an upgrade to the Lumia 630 from my 620. But if I try to buy anything on the Cricket site, you have to add a plan. Is the phone shop only for new customers?

Are you logged in? I just went to the cricket website and added a Lumia to my cart and it asked me if I wanted to add a line or upgrade a line.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cojawfee posted:

Are you logged in? I just went to the cricket website and added a Lumia to my cart and it asked me if I wanted to add a line or upgrade a line.

Yeah the only thing is that if you want to Upgrade your device (which I did) it STILL makes you pick a plan for some weird reason.

But I went through with it to see what happens. Basically I paid $100 for a $50 phone (which will come with a $50 rebate card making it free) and then a $50 Smart Plan (which I'm already subscribed to). Hopefully the $50 smart plan charge drops off since I'm already on that.

edit: As soon as I went through with it, my phone notified me that I just made a $50 payment towards my account...so essentially I just gave myself some credit. I'm ok with that. And then I figured the $50 rebate card is only for new subscribers so I checked and, yep, it is. Still $50 for a semi-decent phone isn't bad. I'm on the 620 right now and it's just too goddamned small and I can't afford to upgrade to a bigger phone without a subsidy at the moment.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 21, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe it just adds another month to your current plan.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You have to buy a month of service when you get a phone through cricket.

I hit my throttle limit: .12 Mpbs down and . 40 Mpbs up. It's pretty drat slow, but bearable for Facebook twitter etc.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I hit my throttle limit: .12 Mpbs down and . 40 Mpbs up. It's pretty drat slow, but bearable for Facebook twitter etc.

Does pandora or any other streaming service work? Maps/navigation?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Brock Landers posted:

Does pandora or any other streaming service work? Maps/navigation?

Pandora took a long time to start playing (over a minute) but it seems like once it starts going it's fine. Skipping songs would probably be pretty painful, though. Google music is the same, long time to start up but once it does its fine.

I'll try navigation when I leave work in a few hours. If maps works, I'll be very happy with the service.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Which is just kind of strange when you're already an subscriber using autopay...but it's all good. Looking forward to Windows 8.1 and a not tiny as gently caress screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

Which is just kind of strange when you're already an subscriber using autopay...but it's all good. Looking forward to Windows 8.1 and a not tiny as gently caress screen.

I mean at least you get an extra month of service I guess? Right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Technically he lost out on five dollars.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pandora took a long time to start playing (over a minute) but it seems like once it starts going it's fine. Skipping songs would probably be pretty painful, though. Google music is the same, long time to start up but once it does its fine.

I'll try navigation when I leave work in a few hours. If maps works, I'll be very happy with the service.

I would be ok with this, I think.

Hopefully Maps works though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

I would be ok with this, I think.

Hopefully Maps works though...

I drove home from work with navigation on. It found a route home fine, but any recalculation takes a little longer than I would like. Perfectly usable, though.

It's definitely not an ideal situation, but it doesn't exactly cripple your phone. I'm pretty happy with it :)