Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been on prepaid Straight Talk for the past few years, using my Google Voice number. Has anyone managed to get MMS to work reliably with Google Voice? I've managed to just deal with not having MMS in the past but I have my first corporate tech job and its a little embarrassing telling coworkers that I can't send/receive texts with pictures or videos in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been pretty busy this week, but I've been meaning to get this up here.

From August 24th to October 19, 2014, Cricket will be giving anyone who switches from T-Mobile and Metro PCS a $100 bill credit. You can do this online or in a Cricket store.

It looks like Cricket also has something called Cricket Rewards.

quote:

Cricket Rewards: Loyalty Program: Cricket Customers on Smart and Pro plans earn one (1) Reward Credit for each full, on-time payment. Reward Credits are only redeemable for a phone upgrade once customer has earned a Device Credit(s). Customers earn a $50 Device Credit for every twelve (12) Reward Credits earned. Reward Credits expire, if unused, sixty (60) months after Device Credit becomes redeemable. Reward Credits earned at the account level. Device Credits are capped at $150 without redemption and are not-transferrable and have no cash value. Restrictions Apply.

Since they'll stack up to $150, if you want a new Cricket phone and don't mind bloat or whatever, you can just use Reward Credits. :v:

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/2014-08-22-Top-5-Reasons-T-Mobile-and-Metro-PCS-Customers-Should-Switch-Now-to-Cricket-Wireless

I'll be adding blurbs about this into the OP.

Hughmoris posted:

I've been on prepaid Straight Talk for the past few years, using my Google Voice number. Has anyone managed to get MMS to work reliably with Google Voice? I've managed to just deal with not having MMS in the past but I have my first corporate tech job and its a little embarrassing telling coworkers that I can't send/receive texts with pictures or videos in them.

MMS just doesn't work on Google Voice UNLESS you're on postpaid Sprint (and maybe T-Mobile?). Even then, it's just an e-mail with the picture in it. This only works if you have it set to let Voice notify you via e-mail about missed calls.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Anyone on T-Mo prepaid know if enterprise data works? I want to switch to the nerd plan, but my job uses Good for Enterprise for mobile e-mail. Everything I've seen online says it won't work, but two reps I called into said along the lines of "data is data, it'll work fine!" Ugh.

If it doesn't work, are there any pre-pay/MVNOs out there that allow it? Coming from AT&T on an S4 if that matters.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More hotspot availability on prepaid plans: effective August 3rd, MetroPCS GSM users on the $40, $50 and $60 plans can now add hotspot to their accounts for $5 per month.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wtf I switched from t mo a month ago. Ugh. At least maybe I'll get free phones or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

More hotspot availability on prepaid plans: effective August 3rd, MetroPCS GSM users on the $40, $50 and $60 plans can now add hotspot to their accounts for $5 per month.

Adding this to the OP, thanks!

This is good since maybe it'll force Cricket to do something now. Maybe. haha

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ugh, loving MMS. My phone doesn't want to send pictures with either the default settings it grabbed on the sim or the ones I got from the cricket website. Though it can receive pictures. I hate MMS.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Is there a reason why there's no info about Republic Wireless in here? Not sure if maybe I'm just looking in the wrong thread.

The 2 phones available are the Moto X and Moto G.

They have very competitive, pay as you go pricing:

They're on the Sprint network, so coverage is decent. The only "catch" is that wifi is always on.

It really looks like one of the best options and I've been thinking about it a lot lately (gotta gtfo verizon). Any thoughts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is there a reason why there's no info about Republic Wireless in here? Not sure if maybe I'm just looking in the wrong thread.

They're on the Sprint network, so coverage is decent. The only "catch" is that wifi is always on.

It really looks like one of the best options and I've been thinking about it a lot lately (gotta gtfo verizon). Any thoughts?

The reason it's not up is because I think I forgot. :v: Sorry! I'll toss it on!

The only two I'd add would be the $25 and the $40 though since the others don't have cell data.

Edit: Added, but it looks like it throttles after 5GB of data if you're not roaming and 100MB if you are roaming.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 26, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sprint's data speeds are really bad unless you happen to be in one of the areas that has LTE coverage. Even then it's very spotty.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ThermoPhysical posted:

The reason it's not up is because I think I forgot. :v: Sorry! I'll toss it on!

The only two I'd add would be the $25 and the $40 though since the others don't have cell data.

Edit: Added, but it looks like it throttles after 5GB of data if you're not roaming and 100MB if you are roaming.

No problem man!

I think I can deal with the roaming after being charged these overages from verizon :suicide:

Contract's over :frogout:

Also, Republic's planning on carrying the X+1 whenever it's released.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Anyone here use Ting? My Sprint contract is up next month and with my usage it looks like I'd hit 25-35USD a month w/ Ting which would be loving amazing. Was wanting to by a Z1 Compact and switch to Cricket, but if Ting isn't poo poo I'd love to try it out even if it means staying with my lovely iPhone.

Did you switch? Just researched them today, and I'm about 99% sure I'll be switching to them when my early termination fee with Sprint expires in mid-September.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I had Ting for about 6 months last year and didn't have a single issue with them. Great customer service.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I told you guys about the Ultra Mobile $19 $29 plans which give you unlimited call/txt and 100MB or 500MB of 4G data (no overage data). It turns out that you can buy Ultra Mobile sim on ebay with first month $29 plan preloaded for $13-14 bux each. This is perfect for my wife. I am going to start a new sim every month and she can use it thru google voice to keep the same call out number.

Too bad there is no nano sim option, I have to get a nano sim cutter.

littlewashu
Nov 25, 2007

Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
I'm moving over to Cricket from Verizon, got sick of the insane amounts of money and lovely customer service I got from them. Is there any way I could get one of those referrals?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

littlewashu posted:

I'm moving over to Cricket from Verizon, got sick of the insane amounts of money and lovely customer service I got from them. Is there any way I could get one of those referrals?

PM me with your name and email, I'll send you one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of MMS, mine is pretty much a crapshoot, as well.

I'm on GoPhone, and it worked when I first set it up about a year ago...then stopped working at some point. Then it worked again, and now it's not working again. It seems like every time I change something about the APN to fix the problem, it only does so for a few months at best.

Here's my current APN settings:

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Similarly, I'm currently having mms/data problems with my nexus 4 on cricket. I can only talk and text and have no data at all. T-mobile worked fine on it, but right now I'm using the Moto G I bought with my plan even though it was only meant as a back up. I've checked online with little useful info and I have a feeling going to a store or calling customer service will be a frustrating waste of time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr. Blastaway posted:

Similarly, I'm currently having mms/data problems with my nexus 4 on cricket. I can only talk and text and have no data at all. T-mobile worked fine on it, but right now I'm using the Moto G I bought with my plan even though it was only meant as a back up. I've checked online with little useful info and I have a feeling going to a store or calling customer service will be a frustrating waste of time.

Did you burn through your monthly data? I noticed my MMS and visual voicemail stopped when I did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm on my phone right now so I can't search for it but google MMS and cricket. They have settings listed on their site but they didn't work for me. Does your current APN say att? If so write down the settings from that. Just the fields that the cricket site lists. Now delete your current APN and create a new one with the same settings you had before then reboot your phone. I did that and it worked.

I was able to receive MMS but not send it. Now I can send MMS all the time. Try that or just copy the settings from the cricket site. They didn't work for me and I had to use the att settings.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I got it working finally and apparently the setting are on Crickets website. Thanks everyone. BTW, does the cricket referral system only work during the sign up process because I forgot about it when I signed up a few weeks back?

Edit: wrong link

Mr. Blastaway fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 4, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

Did you burn through your monthly data? I noticed my MMS and visual voicemail stopped when I did.

Huh, is this an official thing?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How else would those features work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would still work, just really slowly. Cricket has unlimited data.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Cojawfee posted:

They would still work, just really slowly. Cricket has unlimited data.

I can only offer anecdotal evidence about what happened. It could have been another error going on that prevented me from accessing but when I added another gig of data everything was restored. I was getting login errors to the visual voicemail and all of my MMS was timing out. I am not sure what would have happened if I were on wifi, I didn't care THAT much about testing it out.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I got it working finally and apparently the setting are on Crickets website. Thanks everyone. BTW, does the cricket referral system only work during the sign up process because I forgot about it when I signed up a few weeks back?

Edit: wrong link

Gotta get a referral before you sign up, so yep, you're outta luck.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

I can only offer anecdotal evidence about what happened. It could have been another error going on that prevented me from accessing but when I added another gig of data everything was restored. I was getting login errors to the visual voicemail and all of my MMS was timing out. I am not sure what would have happened if I were on wifi, I didn't care THAT much about testing it out.

MMS uses cellular data even when you're on wifi.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this behavior next time I hit my throttle...

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I'm being throttled on Cricket right now and I was able to send an MMS no problem (well, it took too long.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I'm being throttled on Cricket right now and I was able to send an MMS no problem (well, it took too long.)

Welp, that solves that!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm tired of Google Voice being general poo poo, and missing out on group texts and picture MMS (don't know why people still use that but whatever.) Also I can't use features of my Moto X because Voice isn't really a true messaging app as far as the OS is concerned.

What risks are there in porting my number from Google Voice to my TMobile prepaid SIM? Is there a chance of losing my number? What is involved in the process?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I'm tired of Google Voice being general poo poo, and missing out on group texts and picture MMS (don't know why people still use that but whatever.) Also I can't use features of my Moto X because Voice isn't really a true messaging app as far as the OS is concerned.

What risks are there in porting my number from Google Voice to my TMobile prepaid SIM? Is there a chance of losing my number? What is involved in the process?

Paying Google $3 even though it's illegal to charge for number porting, for one.

This doc explains it pretty well: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844?hl=en

They try to get around it by calling it a charge to 'unlock' your number, but the only thing it 'locks' is your ability to port, which is specifically illegal, so....

The FCC, at http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/wireless-local-number-portability-wlnp#howmuch posted:

Companies may not refuse to port a number because a consumer has not paid for porting.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You're quoting the rules for Wireless Local Number Portability.

As I Understand It, Google Voice numbers are in some kind of special landline number category. Which, incidentally, is a big part of why they have so much trouble dealing with MMS.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Rastor posted:

You're quoting the rules for Wireless Local Number Portability.

As I Understand It, Google Voice numbers are in some kind of special landline number category. Which, incidentally, is a big part of why they have so much trouble dealing with MMS.

Doesn't matter, all carriers are bound by the rules (read further down) unless their state issued them a stay from having to release numbers for porting.

The reason they have trouble dealing with MMS is because Google doesn't operate an MMSC, so native MMS simply can't work until they do that. They could easily operate one and publish the info in Syniverse -- but then they'd have to somehow deal with UA profiles and a bunch of other poo poo that would be hard. I get why they haven't done it - it doesn't make holding your number hostage any less lovely.

Other than the unique "Googley" douchebag behavior of that, porting out of GV is the same as porting from any other provider except you don't need to list an account number.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone else have issues with iMessage on straight talk?

I wasn't having problems for a while then it stopped working completely if I wasn't on wifi. I found out that installing the apn profile made it work again, but still every once in a while an iMessage fails to send, but I have 3 bars connection. Is there any fix for this or should I switch to cricket or something?

It could just be that AT&T has shoddy coverage so cricket wouldn't fix it. Although other apps work on data while iMessage is timing out. Or maybe straighttalk is throttling imessage?

Baxate fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 8, 2014

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I wasn't having problems for a while then it stopped working completely if I wasn't on wifi. I found out that installing the apn profile made it work again, but still every once in a while an iMessage fails to send, but I have 3 bars connection. Is there any fix for this or should I switch to cricket or something?

It could just be that AT&T has shoddy coverage so cricket wouldn't fix it. Although other apps work on data while iMessage is timing out. Or maybe straighttalk is throttling imessage?

As a former StraightTalk/current Cricket user, I say make the switch. StraightTalk is garbage, your experience will be much better.

Cricket will still throttle depending on the data plan you pick but they're up front about it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Looking to replace my GS3 in the next 6 months or so. I just can't understand why the Moto X doesn't have a micro sd card, but the G does. Hopefully they release a G with LTE soon.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

venkman is right. Switch to Cricket. ST will tell you the only way to fix it is jailbreak and change the APN manually. gently caress em. Cricket sim works right out of the box no fuckery. When you switch make sure you get a referral for a $25 credit, myself and several other goons can help you with that via PM.

TLG James posted:

Looking to replace my GS3 in the next 6 months or so. I just can't understand why the Moto X doesn't have a micro sd card, but the G does. Hopefully they release a G with LTE soon.

Try looking harder. The Moto G LTE already exists.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TLG James may be referring to the just-announced 2014 version of the Moto G, which has not had an LTE variant formally announced yet.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Rastor posted:

TLG James may be referring to the just-announced 2014 version of the Moto G, which has not had an LTE variant formally announced yet.

Yep, it just doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If you're really sticking to your six month time-line, there's a good chance that an LTE variant will be out by then.