Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TLG James posted:

Looking to replace my GS3 in the next 6 months or so. I just can't understand why the Moto X doesn't have a micro sd card, but the G does. Hopefully they release a G with LTE soon.

Why? because google hates users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

whatever7 posted:

Why? because google hates users.

If ExcessBLarge was here he'd explain it to you, but basically Android is better without SD cards and you should blame manufacturers for skimping on what amounts to a couple of dollars more for a reasonable amount of flash storage.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

If ExcessBLarge was here he'd explain it to you, but basically Android is better without SD cards and you should blame manufacturers for skimping on what amounts to a couple of dollars more for a reasonable amount of flash storage.

I can't hear you over my gozillions of offline videos, podcasts and audiobooks.

[/url]

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

If ExcessBLarge was here

Where'd he go, anyway?

Looks like Android L should fix the MMS issues people have been having on Cricket.

There is a bug in Hangouts that stops MMS from working on AT&T and T-Mobile. Google has fixed it for Android L. So, if you have a Nexus 5, Moto X, and Moto G, you should be alright in a few months. Nexus 4...most likely. If the G can do it, then the 4 should be able to as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Where'd he go, anyway?

Looks like Android L should fix the MMS issues people have been having on Cricket.

There is a bug in Hangouts that stops MMS from working on AT&T and T-Mobile. Google has fixed it for Android L. So, if you have a Nexus 5, Moto X, and Moto G, you should be alright in a few months. Nexus 4...most likely. If the G can do it, then the 4 should be able to as well.

I wonder why they wouldn't roll out the fix to the hangouts app itself?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Depending on how high the outright price is, wifi calling on the just-announced iPhone makes the T-Mobile "dork plan" look even more tempting.

I'm a little scared to jump ship from my ATT contract plan with some grandfathered discounts, though. Do the android devices that already have wifi calling on T-Mo support it on prepaid plans?

edit: "If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls." ...oh

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 9, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Hoping someone on Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone an answer this question.

My wife has an existing Sprint account that is going out of contract, an Apple Store gift card from trading in her iPhone 5 (she's using a temp phone) and wants to switch to Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone. My understanding that the Apple Store doesn't sell new Prepaid lines on Verizon, and if you're not opening a new line, they only sell you a Verizon iPhone if you already have an account number to check upgrade eligibility against.

So this is her plan:
Open new verizon prepaid line with a junker phone, porting in her Sprint # to close her Sprint account.
Use newly-opened Verizon prepaid account to check upgrade eligibility , and hopefully be allowed to buy off-contract iPhone due to no upgrade eligibility.

The last step is the part that I have no idea about whether or not it works. Will Apple let you go in with an existing Verizon prepaid account to buy an off-contract phone from them? Yes, she could buy directly from Verizon, but she already has the gift card.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I can't hear you over my gozillions of offline videos, podcasts and audiobooks.

[/url]

We don't all need to watch 4K anime every waking moment.

eddiewalker posted:

Depending on how high the outright price is, wifi calling on the just-announced iPhone makes the T-Mobile "dork plan" look even more tempting.

I'm a little scared to jump ship from my ATT contract plan with some grandfathered discounts, though. Do the android devices that already have wifi calling on T-Mo support it on prepaid plans?

edit: "If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls." ...oh

This is basically double-dipping. Going to take your phone minutes, but also gonna take your wifi too! (good thing most ISPs don't have data caps, and calls should be minimal on data)

clockworx posted:

Hoping someone on Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone an answer this question.

My wife has an existing Sprint account that is going out of contract, an Apple Store gift card from trading in her iPhone 5 (she's using a temp phone) and wants to switch to Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone. My understanding that the Apple Store doesn't sell new Prepaid lines on Verizon, and if you're not opening a new line, they only sell you a Verizon iPhone if you already have an account number to check upgrade eligibility against.

So this is her plan:
Open new verizon prepaid line with a junker phone, porting in her Sprint # to close her Sprint account.
Use newly-opened Verizon prepaid account to check upgrade eligibility , and hopefully be allowed to buy off-contract iPhone due to no upgrade eligibility.

The last step is the part that I have no idea about whether or not it works. Will Apple let you go in with an existing Verizon prepaid account to buy an off-contract phone from them? Yes, she could buy directly from Verizon, but she already has the gift card.

This seems completely unnecessary. You should be able to just buy online/walk into an Apple store and buy a Verizon phone for the $650 off-contract without doing all this.

That is, unless the online store will only let you do upgrades/new lines like they've done in the past :argh: thus forcing you to basically walk into the store every single day to see if they've got one available for you to buy.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

SB35 posted:

This seems completely unnecessary. You should be able to just buy online/walk into an Apple store and buy a Verizon phone for the $650 off-contract without doing all this.

That is, unless the online store will only let you do upgrades/new lines like they've done in the past :argh: thus forcing you to basically walk into the store every single day to see if they've got one available for you to buy.

From reading, it seems like they used to in the past and later stopped (for Verizon and Sprint, at the carrier's request).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my one month of unlimited 4G Harbor Mobile plan is almost over. Outside of fluctuated speed during lunch time at work, I am very happy with TMobile's speed and network performance. Used almost 49gb of data.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Heads up guys, Cricket just increased their data allotments across all of their plans in a new promo. It's for new and existing customers!

http://www.androidcentral.com/cricket-raises-data-allotments-new-and-existing-customers-get-10gb-just-55

With their coverage and prices, Cricket really has to be one of the best deals out there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Heads up guys, Cricket just increased their data allotments across all of their plans in a new promo. It's for new and existing customers!

http://www.androidcentral.com/cricket-raises-data-allotments-new-and-existing-customers-get-10gb-just-55

With their coverage and prices, Cricket really has to be one of the best deals out there.

Holy gently caress.

Welp, updating the OP then! THanks for this!

Edit: Unfortunately it's temporary...hopefully it'll be permanent. Cricket had 10GB of data before AT&T bought them. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 10, 2014

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
This is awesome. I've been on the Smart plan but this may finally push me to pay for Pro.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...t-25mb-a-month/

Republic Wireless will be dropping their roaming data down to 25MB a month from the previous 100MB a month.

quote:

Citing a 3000% markup over offering data directly through Sprint's network, Republic is dropping unlimited domestic data roaming for all subscribers, effective next week (there will be no grandfathering), September 15th.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy gently caress.

Welp, updating the OP then! THanks for this!

Edit: Unfortunately it's temporary...hopefully it'll be permanent. Cricket had 10GB of data before AT&T bought them. :v:

What? It says it's grandfathered if you get it in time:

quote:

Cricket has clarified to us that if and when they opt to end this promotion, both the new customers that signed up and the existing customers that get more data will be grandfathered in and get to keep it, even if the plans revert back to their original allotments

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

What? It says it's grandfathered if you get it in time:

Oh sweet, they must've changed the article then as that wasn't in when I saw it.

I'll edit the OP then to reflect this.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
I just called Cricket about this and the support rep had no idea about this promotion. Can someone try to find out what the best way to activate this would be if you are already a customer?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If we could just get approved tethering on Cricket, I'd be so happy. I do it all the time with my tablet in the car, but would be nice to be sanctioned.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Will Rice posted:

I just called Cricket about this and the support rep had no idea about this promotion. Can someone try to find out what the best way to activate this would be if you are already a customer?

You don't have to do anything.

quote:

Existing customers on the GSM network don't have to do a thing. Cricket will simply upgrade them automatically during their next bill cycle.

If you sign up on or after September 13th, then you get it included.

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.co...d-Fees-Included

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

ThermoPhysical posted:

You don't have to do anything.

If you sign up on or after September 13th, then you get it included.

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.co...d-Fees-Included

Good to know, thanks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just want to give you guys a mini review

I brought a couple Ultra Mobile sims for my wife. It's a TMobile MVNO, for $29 a month, you get unlimited voice, text, free calls to some countries and 500MB of data. Additional data pack is cheap.

The best part is you can buy sims on ebay that come with first month of service for free, for $14-15 each. That makes it the cheapest GSM option for casual smartphone users.

There are two type of cards you can buy, one on the right is the red card. It comes with 1 months of service officially, so you just have to activate it on ultra.me. The bpurple colored type, you have to call a dealer to activate the free 1 month service. Either one is fine. I believe the red doesn't allow porting and the purple one can port in a number. My wife use Google Voice so it no concern of mine.

Ultra doesn't have nano sim so I have to get a nano sim cutter too.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone know if it's possible to use a Virgin Mobile phone with Cricket Wireless? I checked their Bring Your Own Phone plan, and once I punched in my IMEI it said I'd be able to use most of their features. However, I've heard that VM is a locked network, so I'm not sure if that would play into whether or not I'd be able to use it. I'd have gone ahead and bought a Moto G from their smartphone selection, but with that discount they're offering at the moment it looks like they're sold out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Finisher1 posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to use a Virgin Mobile phone with Cricket Wireless? I checked their Bring Your Own Phone plan, and once I punched in my IMEI it said I'd be able to use most of their features. However, I've heard that VM is a locked network, so I'm not sure if that would play into whether or not I'd be able to use it. I'd have gone ahead and bought a Moto G from their smartphone selection, but with that discount they're offering at the moment it looks like they're sold out.

No, you wouldn't be able to. Cricket is GSM now and Virgin Mobile is CDMA, they're completely incompatible.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

No, you wouldn't be able to. Cricket is GSM now and Virgin Mobile is CDMA, they're completely incompatible.

Ah okay, thanks. Would have liked to have kept my LG Volt under a Cricket plan, but gently caress it, maybe it's time to spring for an unlocked GSM smartphone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finisher1 posted:

Ah okay, thanks. Would have liked to have kept my LG Volt under a Cricket plan, but gently caress it, maybe it's time to spring for an unlocked GSM smartphone.

All the best prepaid smartphone deals are pretty much all Sprint MVNO, I will let you guess why.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm seriously considering the T-Mobile $30 plan, since I think I think I can keep my voice minute usage under a 100 by initiating calls from the Google Hangouts app.

I have one weird hangup: I enjoy using a local radio station's SMS shortcode. A lot.

I've never been able to get it to work from my wife's TMo post-paid phone, and I'm finding conflicting information online about whether shortcodes could be enabled if I were the account holder. I'm finding even more conflicting info about prepaid being different in this regard and shortcodes never being allowed.

I'd be happy enough with using GoogleVoice for shortcodes, but they just seem to disappear and I never get a response.

Any clarification or options I'm missing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I'm seriously considering the T-Mobile $30 plan, since I think I think I can keep my voice minute usage under a 100 by initiating calls from the Google Hangouts app.

I have one weird hangup: I enjoy using a local radio station's SMS shortcode. A lot.

I've never been able to get it to work from my wife's TMo post-paid phone, and I'm finding conflicting information online about whether shortcodes could be enabled if I were the account holder. I'm finding even more conflicting info about prepaid being different in this regard and shortcodes never being allowed.

I'd be happy enough with using GoogleVoice for shortcodes, but they just seem to disappear and I never get a response.

Any clarification or options I'm missing?

I had short codes work OK with Voice a bit ago.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ThermoPhysical posted:

I had short codes work OK with Voice a bit ago.

If I text "what" to 96500 on my AT&T contract phone, I immediately get a text back with the last three songs on the radio.

If I do it on my wife's tmobile contract phone, I get an "access denied" reply.

On GV, the texts seem to go through but I get no response.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

If I text "what" to 96500 on my AT&T contract phone, I immediately get a text back with the last three songs on the radio.

I don't think GV supports sending to short codes. However I just tried with my dork plan number and got a response

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

My experience as well. I don't think Gvoice handles short codes well, because i never get a response to them (that's kinda the point isn't it?) so I gave up on it.

But you do have 5GB of data to get what you want, and you could just use your unlimited SMS via the actual messaging app. It is 100min/Unl SMS/5GB.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 12, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody had any experience moving from Verizon to Cricket? Have a friend that wants to, but don't have any experience good or bad with it... so I figure I'd ask here before recommending.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

BonoMan posted:

Anybody had any experience moving from Verizon to Cricket? Have a friend that wants to, but don't have any experience good or bad with it... so I figure I'd ask here before recommending.

Cricket is awesome if you're in their coverage. Now is a good time to switch. They just announced they'll be upping data caps on all of their plans. And one of us can give him a referral that will be an account credit.

I can't speak to the Verizon>Cricket switch experience. Maybe someone else can.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

I switched from Verizon to cricket. It was pretty smooth, I was even able to use my Verizon phone because I unlocked it and it was a "global" phone so it had GSM radios built into it (like most of verizons smartphones sold within the past 2 years).

Of course coverage depends on your area, but Cricket uses ATT so coverage should be roughly similar to Verizon in most places. I've been on Cricket for almost 2 months now and it was a great decision to switch.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Does everyone know that there is now such a thing as a Google Hangouts dialer app which lets you make outbound calls for free via data? Might make low-minutes plans more appealing (though the direction of the business is clearly unlimited minutes).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rastor posted:

Does everyone know that there is now such a thing as a Google Hangouts dialer app which lets you make outbound calls for free via data? Might make low-minutes plans more appealing (though the direction of the business is clearly unlimited minutes).

I'd hold off on this for now because I think Google rolled a lot of this stuff back if the android app thread is any indication. Functionality seems busted in a special kind of way only Google could manage :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to wait for the hangouts app to update to combine your hangouts and google voice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Right, I'm just talking about the dialer app, which AFAIK has not been retracted.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any goons in a Cricket family plan? That new data offer has me more on the fence on sticking with them rather than jumping to AT&T to get that shiny new iphone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Venkmanologist posted:

Cricket is awesome if you're in their coverage. Now is a good time to switch. They just announced they'll be upping data caps on all of their plans. And one of us can give him a referral that will be an account credit.

I can't speak to the Verizon>Cricket switch experience. Maybe someone else can.

I use Cricket so I'll be doing the referral thank you very much :D! I just hadn't moved directly from Verizon so I didn't know how that went.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I switched from Verizon to cricket. It was pretty smooth, I was even able to use my Verizon phone because I unlocked it and it was a "global" phone so it had GSM radios built into it (like most of verizons smartphones sold within the past 2 years).

Of course coverage depends on your area, but Cricket uses ATT so coverage should be roughly similar to Verizon in most places. I've been on Cricket for almost 2 months now and it was a great decision to switch.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Its worth noting that most newer Verizon phones come sold unlocked already, but since mine was a bit older (Droid Razr M) I had to unlock it myself. Works great though.