Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FYI if you hopped on those $15 Cricket or AT&T plans I mentioned on the last page, the price is increasing to $30/month in July so be sure to cancel your plan before it renews in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What is a good Verizon MVNO and can it use unlocked GSM phones?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Visible and PagePlus are the two Verizon MVNOs I hear the most about. Some multi-carrier MVNOs like Tracfone and Red Pocket also have Verizon as an option. In order to active your service you'll need a phone with an IMEI that Verizon accepts (here's Visible's IMEI checker); once it's activated you can probably swap the SIM to another phone with compatible LTE bands but if it doesn't support Verizon's VoLTE properly voice and text will not work.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What is a good Verizon MVNO and can it use unlocked GSM phones?

TotalWireless?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020
I LOVE SPREADING CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUT WOMEN

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

Welp

https://twitter.com/tingFTW/status/1290284102864658437

quote:

Exciting news for Ting Mobile customers.

DISH has teamed up with Ting Mobile to provide better choices and value in mobile. As of August 1, 2020, Ting Mobile customers are now part of the DISH family.

Good news… There's no migration happening. You don't need a new phone. You can still login to your account at ting.com/account or on the Ting Mobile app. Your coverage doesn't change.

DISH and Ting Mobile’s thinking around what the future of mobile should be are very much in line. One of the many shared beliefs we’ve discovered over the years is that things could and should be a lot better for mobile customers than today’s mobile carriers make it. This is one of the things that attracted DISH to Ting Mobile.

Customer Service
We hear you, Ting Mobile customers. Customer service is something you won’t compromise on. Nor will we. It’s why we have Ting Mobile people continuing to support you now and at the same time, share their technology and secrets for providing a great customer experience with the DISH team.

Data Costs
Likewise, we’ve heard you loud and clear that data pricing is a pain point. We can absolutely help there. Stick around and find out how.

DISH + Ting Mobile
What we’re assuring you today is that the Ting Mobile you know and love is not going away. We are here to help improve this special thing that you and the Ting Mobile team have built over more than eight years.

If you were happy with Ting Mobile yesterday and you’re happy with Ting Mobile today, you’ll be happy with Ting Mobile tomorrow... and we look forward to working with this team to ensure you’re even happier down the line.

Thanks for your business. We won’t take it for granted. We will work hard every day to earn your trust.

Sincerely,
John Swieringa
Group President & COO, DISH

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thanks for posting. My dad uses them for his emergency phone (that he never uses cause he doesn't leave the house by himself anymore). I'm sure I'm going to get a call about it when they notice the change.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020
I LOVE SPREADING CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUT WOMEN

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

Anyone have experience with Wing?

They have towers with both AT&T and Sprint, and all plans include tethering

I know Sprint sucks, but Wing's $15 plan on their tower includes unlimited talk/text, 100MB high speed data, and unlimited 2G data with tethering after. For me, that seems like the perfect plan to throw on a burner phone in case my wi-fi ever goes down.

Ting's already hyping up cheaper data, so we'll see what happens

EDIT: Mint Mobile has $180/year with Mobile Hotspot, unlimited talk & text, 3GB high speed, and unlimited throttled data after - that seems like a way better deal than Wing

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mint's coverage was to terrible in my area so I switched to ATT's $300 for 8gb/month +1 month rollover +hotspot plan. I was on cricket before mint and switched so wifi calling would work. Everyone I talked to with support said wifi calling would work with my phone but I'm figuring out after the switch it just plain doesn't unless you have an ATT device. Fuckers. Setting up google voice for voicemail is also blocked on their prepaid plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boogalo posted:

Mint's coverage was to terrible in my area so I switched to ATT's $300 for 8gb/month +1 month rollover +hotspot plan. I was on cricket before mint and switched so wifi calling would work. Everyone I talked to with support said wifi calling would work with my phone but I'm figuring out after the switch it just plain doesn't unless you have an ATT device. Fuckers. Setting up google voice for voicemail is also blocked on their prepaid plans.

I was looking at this same plan. What happens after the first year in terms of cost, do you know? The fine print says it’ll renew every 30 days for 12 periods but I can’t tell if it’s gonna be charging the discounted $25/month or if I’m gonna have to start paying the regular $50/month.