Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rastor posted:

Right, I'm just talking about the dialer app, which AFAIK has not been retracted.

The new hangouts update puts a dialer right into hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, but to get that functionality you must also have a hangouts dialer support app installed.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
The Hangouts Dialer app will not work unless the latest version of Google Hangouts has rolled out to your account. I was able to download the dialer Thursday, but it would not work until I got the Hangouts update today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if there's a point to it since hangouts now has a dialer built in.

Edit: nevermind, I guess you have to install the dialer app to make it work in hangouts.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 13, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you guys do me a favor? If you go to setting and turn off mobile data, does the Hangout voice call still work? This works for Google Voice ao this is important to me.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if there's a point to it since hangouts now has a dialer built in.

edit: you edited before I could hit submit

Since I already posted and now it's null, I'll ask again. Anyone have any experience with enterprise data on the T-Mo nerd plan? We use Good for Enterprise for work e-mail, and info online about it working is fishy at best.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

All right, now that the data limits have been extended I'm think I'm ready to go ahead and take the plunge on Cricket. Before I do though, does anyone have any recommendations for smartphones from them? I'd have gone with the Moto G, but that's been out of stock every time I've checked, and I'm not really in the mood to spend ~$500 on one of the Galaxy models. The Sonata and the Overture are both tempting, being free after rebate, but I've never used a ZTE smartphone and I'm not sure about their reliability.

Also, would anyone be willing to give me a referral?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Finisher1 posted:

All right, now that the data limits have been extended I'm think I'm ready to go ahead and take the plunge on Cricket. Before I do though, does anyone have any recommendations for smartphones from them? I'd have gone with the Moto G, but that's been out of stock every time I've checked, and I'm not really in the mood to spend ~$500 on one of the Galaxy models. The Sonata and the Overture are both tempting, being free after rebate, but I've never used a ZTE smartphone and I'm not sure about their reliability.

I can refer you. PM me your name and email or send it to ezmanga@gmail.com

Get the moto g with lte. They're about $200 on ebay but probably the best unlocked phone you can get at a decent price.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm trying to bring my mom over to Cricket from AT&T with a new phone that is on its way from Amazon. Can I put my IMEI number to get to the option to select the sim card in or is her service somehow initially tied to my IMEI number. I suppose I could wait to get the phone to order it but would prefer to have it all arrive at once if possible.

Thanks!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

I'm trying to bring my mom over to Cricket from AT&T with a new phone that is on its way from Amazon. Can I put my IMEI number to get to the option to select the sim card in or is her service somehow initially tied to my IMEI number. I suppose I could wait to get the phone to order it but would prefer to have it all arrive at once if possible.

Thanks!

I don't think it's linked to your service so putting in any valid IMEI number should be fine.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Finisher1 posted:

Like eric said, moto g LTE or wait a bit, they'll most likely have the new moto g available soon. Do not buy one of those other lovely phones, the G is the only worthwhile cheap phone.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

SB35 posted:

Like eric said, moto g LTE or wait a bit, they'll most likely have the new moto g available soon. Do not buy one of those other lovely phones, the G is the only worthwhile cheap phone.

The Motorola website is already selling 2nd generation Moto G's for $180. Is there any advantage to spending $200 on the LTE variant of the 1st generation versus just going ahead and buying the new one?

Also, eric, I sent you an email with my info. Let me know if you need anything else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Finisher1 posted:

The Motorola website is already selling 2nd generation Moto G's for $180. Is there any advantage to spending $200 on the LTE variant of the 1st generation versus just going ahead and buying the new one?

Also, eric, I sent you an email with my info. Let me know if you need anything else.

You get LTE and it's smaller. Also I don't believe we have had the normal in depth reviews on the new G yet (gsm arena, annandtech) so we don't really know exactly what the new g is.

But if you don't care about LTE (which I never really did personally) the new G will probably be amazing.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Stick100 posted:

You get LTE and it's smaller. Also I don't believe we have had the normal in depth reviews on the new G yet (gsm arena, annandtech) so we don't really know exactly what the new g is.

But if you don't care about LTE (which I never really did personally) the new G will probably be amazing.

I'll have to post a trip report. Just got in 2 2nd Gen G's yesterday. Been playing around with them at home, but haven't gotten over to the tmobile store yet to pick up sim cards. I was also debating on getting the LTE 1st gen but I figured I'd go for the new one. However, looking up the IMEI on the tmobile website yeilds no results for which sim card to get. Also there are literally no cases anywhere for the 2nd gen. Maybe they'll have some at the store.

Just excited to finally GTFO verizon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Can you guys do me a favor? If you go to setting and turn off mobile data, does the Hangout voice call still work? This works for Google Voice ao this is important to me.

Didn't see anyone respond to this, but if you don't have mobile data or wifi, it will not work. Hangouts Voice works as VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) and won't work without some type of internet connection.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

As a current Cricket pro plan customer, how do I get the double data promotion?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

tonic posted:

It should automatically upgrade you.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Finisher1 posted:

I guess I meant you can probably wait a little bit and get the new G from Cricket on discount. But you can of course just buy it outright from Moto as well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'll have to post a trip report. Just got in 2 2nd Gen G's yesterday. Been playing around with them at home, but haven't gotten over to the tmobile store yet to pick up sim cards. I was also debating on getting the LTE 1st gen but I figured I'd go for the new one. However, looking up the IMEI on the tmobile website yeilds no results for which sim card to get. Also there are literally no cases anywhere for the 2nd gen. Maybe they'll have some at the store.

Just excited to finally GTFO verizon.
Micro SIM. It might take a little bit for the new Moto G, there's a huge following for the original because it was the first great phone for super cheap. We'll see if the 2014 version sells anywhere near as well. There should be cases available within a month or so.

tonic posted:

It will automatically upgrade starting with your first billing cycle after 9/13/14

SB35 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 14, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SB35 posted:

Micro SIM. It might take a little bit for the new Moto G, there's a huge following for the original because it was the first great phone for super cheap. We'll see if the 2014 version sells anywhere near as well. There should be cases available within a month or so.

Thanks for the input. You say it might take a little while, do you mean I won't be able to activate it? Or should I just be able to pop a micro SIM in and be all set?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thanks for the input. You say it might take a little while, do you mean I won't be able to activate it? Or should I just be able to pop a micro SIM in and be all set?

Oh, ha. I meant it might take a little while before there's a bunch of cases available. Looks like that was poorly worded. Put in the sim and adjust your APN info and you should be good to go.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

A Sim and it should work. He meant a bit before cases will appear.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Thinking of switching to Cricket. I need to get a pair of basic phones for my parents - any good source for cheap refurbs, or should I just go for the "LG True" that Cricket sells for $30?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Thinking of switching to Cricket. I need to get a pair of basic phones for my parents - any good source for cheap refurbs, or should I just go for the "LG True" that Cricket sells for $30?

Make sure you get a referral first off. And yeah, unless you wanna go check on eBay or something, the cheap phone from Cricket is probably fine. Hard to beat $30 for a new device.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is Cricket down for anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently when I upped my plan yesterday, I paid my prorated amount to jump up but now I apparently owe $23 more that wasn't listed on my account yesterday, so they suspended it. Silly that they didn't even leave a text saying so.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 16, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

MMS just doesn't work on Google Voice UNLESS you're on postpaid Sprint (and maybe T-Mobile?). Even then, it's just an e-mail with the picture in it. This only works if you have it set to let Voice notify you via e-mail about missed calls.

Received MMS messages are placed into your gmail account with pictures attached even if you're not on Sprint or T-Mo. I think they're filtered specially, and may not appear as unread in your inbox, but that may be the filters I set up for SMS emails, which I like to archive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sending an MMS through google voice (at least through hangouts) just sends a google link to the recipient which shows the picture or whatever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Sending an MMS through google voice (at least through hangouts) just sends a google link to the recipient which shows the picture or whatever.

Yeah, they changed MMS for Voice when it merged with Hangouts. Now it's just a link.

E: Oh yeah. Moto E will show up on Republic Wireless in October 2014.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 17, 2014

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Cricket is going to be selling the Moto G LTE for $150 with a new plan.

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.co...w-4G-LTE-Moto-G

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Cricket is going to be selling the Moto G LTE for $150 with a new plan.

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.co...w-4G-LTE-Moto-G

So existing customers are SOL? I can't really tell from the press release - it says " At $149.99 with activation of one of our popular smartphone plans" and they usually make you add on a month of service if you purchase a phone through their website anyway...it's a bit ambiguous.

If I can get it for $149, I'm gonna probably hop on it. My Droid Razr M's battery is really tanking, and I need a phone with an SD card slot.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm coming from a Razr M too, hoping the Moto G's same 1 gig of RAM isn't a serious limitation. My M feels pretty drat slow and clogged up now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm coming from a Razr M too, hoping the Moto G's same 1 gig of RAM isn't a serious limitation. My M feels pretty drat slow and clogged up now.

My M feels mostly fine actually - the 4.4 upgrade really helped with it's performance. It's one of the reasons I don't really care that the Moto G LTE has 1GB of ram. Honestly, I would stick with my Razr M if the battery wasn't so bad. It's really tanked the last month or two, it's almost two years old though so I guess it's about that time.

I figure I could probably get rid of my M and put it towards a G LTE (if existing customers can get it for that price) and at that point it's pretty much a no brainer.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Ah, I've stuck with an older version of Android so that I can still wireless tether with FoxFi (on verizon unlimited data). Glad to hear that things can only get better! And yeah, my battery has gone to poo poo too (and also started to erupt out the back - seriously, part of the kevlar is peeling up and away).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man_of_Teflon posted:

And yeah, my battery has gone to poo poo too (and also started to erupt out the back - seriously, part of the kevlar is peeling up and away).

:stonk: hey that isn't safe in the least and you should dispose of it asap before it lights on fire or explodes in your pocket.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

:stonk: hey that isn't safe in the least and you should dispose of it asap before it lights on fire or explodes in your pocket.

Yeah...you need a new phone quickly. Honestly, I'd just pay for a cheap burner phone until October when the G drops. Don't take your chances with a bulging battery.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah...you need a new phone quickly. Honestly, I'd just pay for a cheap burner phone until October when the G drops. Don't take your chances with a bulging battery.

:v: his current phone will be quite the burner soon enough.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
That's one of the reasons I only buy phones with removable batteries. Happened with my S3 battery after leaving it in a hot car all day with it on. The battery would actually drop 10-15 percent if it was off for a few hours. Not to mention the fact that I have yet to see a battery that isn't down to 90% of it's original capacity in a year's time.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Ah, I've stuck with an older version of Android so that I can still wireless tether with FoxFi (on verizon unlimited data). Glad to hear that things can only get better! And yeah, my battery has gone to poo poo too (and also started to erupt out the back - seriously, part of the kevlar is peeling up and away).

Just promise me you don't put the phone in your jeans pocket....and only take calls with a bluetooth earphone.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

TLG James posted:

That's one of the reasons I only buy phones with removable batteries. Happened with my S3 battery after leaving it in a hot car all day with it on. The battery would actually drop 10-15 percent if it was off for a few hours. Not to mention the fact that I have yet to see a battery that isn't down to 90% of it's original capacity in a year's time.

Yeah, it started when I overheated the phone by leaving it in a mount on my motorcycle in the sun. I guess the swelling is due to outgassing being trapped within the airtight battery wrap. When it gets punctured or bursts = problems.

It's actually been like this for a few months now :cripes: I need a new phone fast.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I must be totally paranoid about my phone, I make sure I have it when getting out of my car, same as I do with my keys and wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

I must be totally paranoid about my phone, I make sure I have it when getting out of my car, same as I do with my keys and wallet.

Nah, let's not go down this road. Thanks!!