Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Saint Fu posted:

I'm miraculously having no issues right now (also on Cricket) but go through periods of terrible MMS send/receive reliability.

Out of curiosity can you grab your APN settings? Not that I expect it would make a difference.

FISHMANPET posted:

Got my 2 Cricket Nano sims yesterday, it took about 5 seconds for my cricket service to switch from the old sim to the new one. Put in the port request to port my wife's Straight Talk number, still waiting. Thankfully we've got new phones along with the new sims so she can just carry both phones until it works. Was really hoping it would be fast, because as it turns out today is her last day of ST service but I have a feeling I'm going to be paying for another month of it.

By "put in a port request" do you mean you get a Cricket rep to talk to a Straight Talk rep?

Otherwise, you may want to reconsider whether your request actually exists. In my experience anyway.

e: Not this carrier, just generally speaking, lots of times doing things myself would hang but reps can knock it out in no time. If the reps aren't idiots, which Cricket tend not to be. I had a Verizon rep look at a refurb phone with obvious defects in the screen and hair trapped under the Quality Control sticker tell me the refurb unit is fine there's nothing they can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I did it online but actually right after I posted I got an email that the port was accepted, so I just have to go through and reactivate her SIM and it should all work!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We have two monitor/alert servers at work, both send mail to a contact in exchange with my cricket mms address in it. One server's alerts come through just fine, the other's do not. It worked fine before I factory wiped my phone due to a failed root. :iiam:

:hfive: fellow X Pure folks.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 29, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

revdrkevind posted:

Out of curiosity can you grab your APN settings? Not that I expect it would make a difference.
Assuming this what you mean?

Name: AioInternet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enables/disabled: enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None
MNVO value: Not sety

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

revdrkevind posted:

These are mine for Cricket on a Moto X Pure, never had an MMS issue.

Name: internet
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Bearer: Unspecified

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Didn't work for me, but didn't break anything either.

Saint Fu posted:

Also didn't work, also didn't break anything.

So either my phone is an rear end, or Cricket APN settings barely matter... hm...

Is it a Cyanogen problem? I've been noticing accumulating issues, and I'm many builds behind. Been thinking about updating.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
There's been reports on reddit and howardforums about cricket loving up their MMS proxy or something like that. I'll try and dig it up and post it here later because I'm on mobile right now.

E: here

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/3paxri/another_day_with_cricket_wireless_mms/cw5zh6a

From what I can see, the TLDR version is that Cricket's DNS entries are hosed up and point to the wrong address while on wifi.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm on a nexus 5 running 6.0

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ST are real bastards about porting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket's MMS broke for me (2013 moto x) and my wife (Lumia 520) for the longest time too.

I ended up turning off the AIOInternet APN (but keeping AIOMMS selected) and switched the Internet APN to this:

Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN type: default, fota, hipri, supl
APN enable/disable: enabled
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: not set

And it worked! On both phones.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BonoMan posted:

Cricket's MMS broke for me (2013 moto x) and my wife (Lumia 520) for the longest time too.

I ended up turning off the AIOInternet APN (but keeping AIOMMS selected) and switched the Internet APN to this:

Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN type: default, fota, hipri, supl
APN enable/disable: enabled
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: not set

And it worked! On both phones.

So you have two APNs set? A separate for mms and internet? Or just removed MMS?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SB35 posted:

So you have two APNs set? A separate for mms and internet? Or just removed MMS?

Two, one for MMS and one for Internet. The MMS APN isn't selectable. It just exists. There are two internet APNs (the AIOinternet and generic internet one)... there are radio buttons to choose which one to use. They're all on the same screen.
The MMS one is the one it's always been since I plugged my SIM into my phone when I bought it and it auto fetched the MMS apn. However it never really worked until I changed the selected Internet APN from the aio one to the generic one. As soon as I did that MMS's finally started coming through!

edit:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2015

ugly
Jul 22, 2003
No clue
Pillbug
I got a new 5X and needed to switch from a micro sim to nano sim. I know you can cut and sand the micro down, but I just don't have the time to screw around with that.

I went to the local cricket store fully prepared to pay $10-$15 and have an awful experience. Instead, the rep was very helpful, didn't try to upsell me anything and got on the phone with his manager to discount the charge to $0 when the system tried to charge me for a sim swap (without me asking him to do so).

It's nice to be wrong sometimes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ugly posted:

I got a new 5X and needed to switch from a micro sim to nano sim. I know you can cut and sand the micro down, but I just don't have the time to screw around with that.

I went to the local cricket store fully prepared to pay $10-$15 and have an awful experience. Instead, the rep was very helpful, didn't try to upsell me anything and got on the phone with his manager to discount the charge to $0 when the system tried to charge me for a sim swap (without me asking him to do so).

It's nice to be wrong sometimes.

Cricket knows you aren't gonna upsell to people who pay their phone bill by selling plasma.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have an Asus Zenfone 2 and can't seem to get hooked up with cricket. When I do the network scan in settings, it only shows T-Mobile and AT&T 2/3/4G networks. I went to the cricket store to use their test sim and no dice. I assumed any unlocked phone would work. I have been using it on t Mobile for a while now. Is there a setting or something I need to change?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

MrKatharsis posted:

I have an Asus Zenfone 2 and can't seem to get hooked up with cricket. When I do the network scan in settings, it only shows T-Mobile and AT&T 2/3/4G networks. I went to the cricket store to use their test sim and no dice. I assumed any unlocked phone would work. I have been using it on t Mobile for a while now. Is there a setting or something I need to change?

Cricket uses the AT&T network, so sounds like its working?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MrKatharsis posted:

Eh, this might just be a little hiccup in how the phone reports the network it's on. I'll give you an example.

I've used a total of 3 phones on cricket: A verizon Moto Razr M, a Verizon Galaxy s4, and an unlocked Second gen Moto G. The Razr M and Unlocked phone both show the networks as Cricket when I'm using them, but the Galaxy s4 always showed it as ATT. Like if you pulled down the notification bar it would say ATT instead of Cricket. Never affected the performance of the phone in anyway whatsoever.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Well hot drat. I'll go back to the cricket store and try again!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MrKatharsis posted:

Well hot drat. I'll go back to the cricket store and try again!

Make sure you go into the options and enable "allow data use while roaming always" or something like that. I had to do that on my Verizon s4 for it to properly work.

mtr
May 15, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

I have a zenfone 2 with cricket and have no problems. Don't know if it will help, but here's my APN settings:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I got my Cricket stuff setup at my local Gamestop but yeah it was a pretty positive experience, nobody there had any idea what they were doing but they were very open with the fact that they had no idea what they were doing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, this might just be a little hiccup in how the phone reports the network it's on. I'll give you an example.

I've used a total of 3 phones on cricket: A verizon Moto Razr M, a Verizon Galaxy s4, and an unlocked Second gen Moto G. The Razr M and Unlocked phone both show the networks as Cricket when I'm using them, but the Galaxy s4 always showed it as ATT. Like if you pulled down the notification bar it would say ATT instead of Cricket. Never affected the performance of the phone in anyway whatsoever.
My X Pure frequently switches between showing ATT and Cricket in the pulldown. The phone works the same no matter which one is shown.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/11/harbor-mobile-relaunches-as-at-reseller.html

Harbor Mobile has relaunched as an AT&T reseller. They claim the service is exactly like postpaid AT&T with roaming, WiFi calling, and visual voicemail. The caps are hard, when you run out you just run out unless you go to a higher tier.

Will add to the OP along with new Boost Mobile plans later tonight.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/11/harbor-mobile-relaunches-as-at-reseller.html

Harbor Mobile has relaunched as an AT&T reseller. They claim the service is exactly like postpaid AT&T with roaming, WiFi calling, and visual voicemail. The caps are hard, when you run out you just run out unless you go to a higher tier.

Will add to the OP along with new Boost Mobile plans later tonight.

quote:

• $30/month: unlimited talk, text and 2.5 GB of unthrottled LTE data
  • Hotspot is allowed on all phone plans.
So what's the catch, other than the hard limits on data? Is it the same 8/4 speeds as Cricket?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So what's the catch, other than the hard limits on data? Is it the same 8/4 speeds as Cricket?
I assume "unthrottled" means full speed LTE which is really very fast in many ATT markets (I used to get 15-50Mbps). Since I never hit my 5GB cap on Cricket and I miss using my hotspot I may jump ship.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that seems like a drat good deal. How hard was it to be a "business" before?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Cricket also goes through a proxy which ads a little latency. If this was exactly like post paid AT&T I'd switch once my credit with cricket runs out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, that seems like a drat good deal. How hard was it to be a "business" before?

From the article:

quote:

Harbor's is currently beta testing the new plans and platform. Sign-ups during the Beta are by invitation only. You can request an invite on the Harbor site. As a business re-seller Harbor can only sell service to business, including sole proprietors. An Employer Tax ID or other proof that you own or operate a business is required.

From the comments:

quote:

Dennis BourniqueNovember 4, 2015 at 1:04 PM
Any one can gert an EIN on the IRS site Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online

It might not be too hard but...yeah.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Not if you're a finra registered investment banker who would have to do a whole bunch of extra paperwork and make a bunch of affirmations if you registered a business outside the bank even if that business was just an otherwise inactive entity for the sole purpose of getting a deal on mobile service. :smith:

On the other hand, the 20gb plan with cricket is good enough.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cbirdsong posted:

I'm grandfathered in on T-mobile through them, when I started service they demanded proof that the phone would be for business use. A friend of mine has his own LLC and I was able to use his state business license as proof that the phone would be for "business use," but others have reported being able to claim they're an independent contractor. YMMV.

Looking at AT&T's coverage I'm thinking I'm going to switch carriers if they'll let me do so without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ringplus has a new 1500m/1500txt/1500MB/one time charge $35/free monthly plan promotion up for today.

I am on my phone so search slickdeals for detail. This plan would have been perfect for my wife if she is will to use a ugly Spring/Boost phone. She uses less than 1gb per month. I am not doing anything illegal so I don't see the point of paying $35 for a 'burner' phone myself.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

whatever7 posted:

Ringplus has a new 1500m/1500txt/1500MB/one time charge $35/free monthly plan promotion up for today.

I am on my phone so search slickdeals for detail. This plan would have been perfect for my wife if she is will to use a ugly Spring/Boost phone. She uses less than 1gb per month. I am not doing anything illegal so I don't see the point of paying $35 for a 'burner' phone myself.

You can get a nice prepaid Boost moto g or something, I signed up one of my perk tv moto g phones with ringplus and it's been a nice backup phone so far.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexxed posted:

You can get a nice prepaid Boost moto g or something, I signed up one of my perk tv moto g phones with ringplus and it's been a nice backup phone so far.

Hi there PeakTV buddy. I have tons of Samsung Rush from the Peak days.

I actually quite like that phone.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 13, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Cricket MMS woes: Seems like the Cricketwireless.net addresses are working again.

Finally cycled through the usual suspects again today and this one stuck.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

Going back to the Cricket store a second time did me no good, couldn't get their demo SIM to work. However when I got a Cricket phone I popped that SIM card into my ZenFone 2 and it worked fine immediately. No settings trickery needed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

When T-Mobile launches their new changes on November 19th, they will also be tweaking their MetroPCS prepaid brand:
https://www.metropcs.com/more-data.html

* $40 plan is now 3GB (instead of 2GB)
* $50 plan is now 5GB (instead of 4GB)
* Music streaming (via approved services) does not count against your data
* "Data Maximizer" is like the Binge On optimizing technology, except that video streaming DOES count against your data, it's just optimized to not use as much

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/11/metropcs-gets-its-own-versions-of-music-freedom-and-binge-on/

Seems pretty compelling if being on the T-Mobile network isn't a problem for you.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

When T-Mobile launches their new changes on November 19th, they will also be tweaking their MetroPCS prepaid brand:
https://www.metropcs.com/more-data.html

* $40 plan is now 3GB (instead of 2GB)
* $50 plan is now 5GB (instead of 4GB)
* Music streaming (via approved services) does not count against your data
* "Data Maximizer" is like the Binge On optimizing technology, except that video streaming DOES count against your data, it's just optimized to not use as much

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/11/metropcs-gets-its-own-versions-of-music-freedom-and-binge-on/

Seems pretty compelling if being on the T-Mobile network isn't a problem for you.
Also they let you tether unlike Cricket. Probably going to jump ship to this.

edit: Digitally Imported (and a bunch of other music apps) don't count against your data cap. Sold!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Would a kind Cricket goon provide me a referral code? As much as I like how cheap my T-Mobile plan is, the network sucks and I'll pay more for reliability.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
here ya go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Much appreciated!