Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone want to send me a Cricket referral by PM? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Anyone here on Cricket with an iPhone?

How the heck do you get iMessage to work? My girlfriend just switched from Verizon and ported her number, and now her iMessage doesn't download picture messages and doesn't let her send messages through her phone number (only through email address).

Almost seems like an APN or activation issue. Her old Verizon phone is still receiving iMessage text and picture messages when on WiFi to and from her phone number that was ported away.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

When I switched to Cricket, it took me about 2 days to get MMS working. I kept re-entering the APN settings and restarting my phone. Eventually, it just started to work. APN settings are weird things, I guess.

Where do you even enter the APN settings? She's telling me that she doesn't have access to the Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network menu that I see for APN adjustments.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Does Cricket not support Personal Hotspot for iPhone?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Brock Landers posted:

Right, no hotspot option for iPhone. Gophone supports it though.

That really sucks. According to this it should be offered: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

It looks like I should be able to pay $10/month to enable it?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/o/support/plans-and-features/mobile-data/mobile-hotspot.html

Has anyone done this?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
It seems like if you don't go to areas without T-Mobile service, Harbor Mobile is the way to go. Cheaper than Cricket, no speed caps, supports tethering, and has international data and SMS roaming included. Am I missing something?

Can someone that uses Harbor Mobile with an iPhone comment on iMessage and Facetime compatibility? I've heard there there are some issues with the verification of the phone number for those services.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do this, don't use ST/Net10 as they're NOT worth it.

Or Harbor Mobile if:

- your T-Mobile service is acceptable
- you want to have the benefits of T-Mobile postpaid (tethering, international data, etc.)
- you want to go even cheaper

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's pretty much the same, yeah. YMMV as it is against ToS to do ANY tethering at all but I've not heard of anyone getting busted for brief tethering.

The tethering option is not enabled for iPhones on Cricket.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Geoj posted:

Harbor mobile registration trip report: not sure if anyone else ran into this or was able to BS their way past it but in order to get the invite code to complete registration I had to provide official documentation to verify the account would be used for business purposes. Fortunately a friend of mine has his own LLC and I was able to use a copy of his state business permit to get past the live agent, not sure if "I'm self employed" would still work for registration.

This is very strange and I have not seen this. Did you try telling them you are a sole proprietor/independent consultant?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Geoj posted:

I didn't, in the initial response message it said something about if you are self employed or a contractor they would need to see a DBA statement or other proof of business activity.

I'm guessing T-Mobile might have turned the screws on them with half-assedly confirming "business use" and now they need to see concrete proof instead of "I'm a contractor/self employed."

I think you just got unlucky. I set up a new line a few days ago and had no issues. Nobody is reporting issues on Slickdeals either.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Geoj posted:

Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO.

Not exactly. They are a T-Mobile reseller, which means you are getting the exact same service as regular post-paid T-Mobile with the only difference being pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Is there a way to get a free Cricket SIM card?