Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I've been using ST on AT&T for about 2 years now, and while their reputation for poor customer service is rightly earned they're still very usable with a nice price point. They're also one of the only MVNOs that roam, so if you travel you might have better luck with reception.
I think most of the hate for ST comes from their deceptive marketing ("unlimited" data) and the reports of throttled or disabled service. I've never really had any issues with that, but I rarely exceed 2gb a month in usage. I do have occasional problems when I transition from WiFi to mobile data (I get a "access denied" message) but its easily fixed and I'm not sure if it's ST or my phone causing the problems.

However, I'm dreading the day when I finally have to port my number out of Straight Talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

carb0nex posted:

Any goon know how difficult it is to switch from StraightTalk to Cricket? I have been on ST since January, but a few times a day, I get zero service out of no where in places I have always gotten service. I don't know if it's ST or AT&T, but I'd still like to switch for all that extra data.

I just switched from ST to Cricket last week. I had a terrible experience when I tried to port into Cricket a couple of months ago from a post-paid ATT account, but I had no issues at all this time. Not sure why.

My experience compared to Straight Talk so far:
-The port was easy
-The cell coverage is extremely comparable (not surprising since they both run on ATT towers)
-I no longer get those stupid "ACCESS DENIED" messages when opening web pages or mysterious lack of data connection
-The MMS quality is worse (text message pics are severely compressed. This is an issue since I frequently take photos of documents and message them to people. I'm probably a fringe case)
-Having visual voice mail is nice.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I've definitely noticed spottier coverage since switching from ST to Cricket. There are places in the Boston area where I used to get solid data signals ("H" symbol on an hspa+ phone) where I now only have "E" or no data at all. I'm debating whether it's a big enough issue for me to switch back.

On the other hand, I used to have major problems when switching from wifi to mobile data on ST (about half the time when leaving my house/work I'd get "access denied" messages in Chrome) and that no longer occurs.

So I can either have good service coverage with poor usability, or poor service coverage without glitches.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Even on HSPA+ instead of LTE I'm having data problems with Cricket. Sub-1Mb speeds in the Boston area between 6-10pm. So I'm about ready to give up on the MVNO idea. Straight talk was unreliable, Cricket is unreliable, and Go phone isn't significantly cheaper than post-paid At&t. Looks like I'm running out of reasonable options. Maybe I'll try out Tmo.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Just an update for anyone considering switching to Cricket:

Service in the Boston area has been impeccable (meaning speeds and pings have been consistently running near advertised) for over a week now. Whatever was happening from November through December seems to be fixed... knock on wood.

Interestingly, when I was running the Ookla speed test app last month it would exclusively link to west coast servers (or occasionally midwest) to run tests, but now it reliably finds a Boston server. I'm not sure if that's indicative of an issue with Cricket or Ookla, but it seems too convenient to be coincidence.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I actually didn't have a problem porting my number from ST to Cricket. My major issue with Straight Talk was data access. Every day when I would attempt to use the internet, I'd have a few instances of the message "access denied", even though I'm a light data user and never exceeded 2gb a month. Their proxy is truly awful. That being said, I used ST for 2 years, so it was usable service.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I'm finally replacing my very aged Galaxy Nexus with a less old lg G2 on my Cricket plan. Anyone here know if I can cut down and reuse my old hspa sim card or will I need a new lte capable card?
I'd just go ahead and order a new micro sim, but for some reason Cricket has removed that option from their website and the nearest brick and mortar is a real hike.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Ever since the data hiccoughs last year (roughly October-December), Cricket service has been rock solid for me.

I did learn one thing that's irksome though: my LG G2 has a Lollipop update available, but Cricket doesn't push OTAs so I'll be stuck on 4.4 until such a time I decide to borrow a friend's ATT SIM. On the plus side, Kitkat is close to perfect for my needs and I've heard all sorts of Lollipop horror stories regarding the G2 so I'm not really in a hurry for change. I'm not sure if the lack of OTA updates is universal for Cricket or if I just have a model that they don't support.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Yup, it's ATT branded. Are folks with carrier-free devices receiving OTA updates on Cricket?

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I'm not actually that interested in updating to Lollipop (especially a CM version) due to a laundry list of horror stories I've read about the G2's stability on 5.0. I could pop in my wife's postpaid ATT SIM right now to trigger the OTA, but I'm currently very happy with my phone's performance and I'd rather not hobble it.
I was just curious if Cricket provides updates to other phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Cricket service is definitely better, but I had more difficulties getting my number ported to them than I did with ST. If you need to talk to a customer service person on the phone Cricket is terrible (ST isn't great either). Still worth it for their much better data service.

If I can ever convince my wife to leave ATT, I'm driving to a brick and mortar Cricket store to get her set up rather than deal with their website/phone lines again.