Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone tried the Verizon AllSet prepaid plan yet? Their coverage is hard to beat, and Best Buy has their Moto G for $69.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Three Olives posted:

Best Buy had the Verizon Moto G for $49 several weeks ago, I picked one up just to play with an Android device without service. Typically when phones get priced that way the price comes back fairly quickly. Keep in mind that the Verizon G does not have LTE so it actually has rather lovely data service, I believe typically around 1 Mbps in real world use.

Ah, I was wondering if there was a kicker, and there it is.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Could they trace it to the last location it was functioning? Like, is it better to damage the phone first so it stops transmitting and then find a different place to chuck it?

Best practice would be to move the body to a different location while leaving the phone. Then come back, break the phone and chuck it to a different place.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sweart gliwere posted:

Remember, water and organic tissue dampens reception quite well, as does low elevation. The human anus will accept most non-Samsung phones with ease, so you can put both the body and the phone in a ditch with little worry.

If you go this route, we do recommend you test it with a cardboard cutout of the phone first.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been on prepaid Straight Talk for the past few years, using my Google Voice number. Has anyone managed to get MMS to work reliably with Google Voice? I've managed to just deal with not having MMS in the past but I have my first corporate tech job and its a little embarrassing telling coworkers that I can't send/receive texts with pictures or videos in them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do this, don't use ST/Net10 as they're NOT worth it.

What's the gripe against ST? I've noticed they have lost favor around here. I've had them since the Nexus 4 came out and have never had a problem.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just received a text from Straight Talk that they are upgrading me from 3GB to 5GB for the $45/month plan. :slick:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll go against the grain here and say I've had nothing but positive experiences for the three years I've been with Straight Talk (AT&T). I pay my monthly bill of $48 and I get unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone know how to go about requesting a new sim card for the same number, on Straight Talk? I have ST service but its a micro-sim that is not LTE capable. When I upgrade phones, I'm going to need an LTE nano-sim card.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SB35 posted:

You have to buy a new SIM card, which you can easily do online or at Walmart. Then there's a link in the online account where you can transfer your service to another SIM card. Do that and it should transfer over in less than one hour.

I did this to switch from a ST Tmo card to a ST AT&T card and it worked just fine and all my account credit stayed intact.

I'll try that out, thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone on Straight Talk having data issues today? I can place calls and text just fine. It's been acting up since last night, not sure if it's a bigger issue or not.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 29, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Blue Train posted:

total wireless 35/mo verizon unlimited talk/text 5gb data supremacy

over 5gb? 10$/3gb overage

Any downside to using Total Wireless? That Verizon data/coverage for that price seems like a steal.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Xfinity Mobile is up and running. Any brave souls here trialing it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

insulated staircase posted:

No problems so far. I don't really do the young people phone stuff, so the LG X Power has been fine. Better coverage than Virgin. A good option for atypical users/olds.

BYOD isn't available, though there is chatter about purchasing a phone and swapping the sim into your existing device. Cheaters.

Glad to hear it's been pain free so far. Did you port your number in? Have you ran a speedtest yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

insulated staircase posted:

I did port my number, Xfinity's side was fine but Virgin made me talk to retention.

I think this is what you're asking for?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!