Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is it still the case that Cricket doesn't seem to care about light tethering? I want to lose my Sprint plan, buy a used iPhone 5s, and get the $35 plan, but I want to occasionally tether an iPad for light browsing when I'm away from home and don't have access to my notebook.

This all assumes that an iPhone 5s even has tethering as an option. I've spent way too long with mediocre Android devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

You can tether to your heart's content on Cricket if you have a properly prepped android rom. That's why I have 2 OG Pro with 4.1 roms on them. I have not found any good 4.4, 5.0 rom with easy 1 click tethering built in the system.

Well that's dumb and annoying. According to the CW site my Sprint S4 is acceptable for BYOD, but I imagine I'd have to reflash it to remove Sprint's fuckery. Too bad they screw with iPhones, because I'm over carrier-imposed limitations on devices.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I was talking about Cricket's GSM network, not CDMA.

Me too. The S4 does both CDMA and GSM.

But I know I'm being a dumb baby about tethering. I wouldn't need it more than once or twice a month anyway.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I bought an iPhone 5S off Swappa, and for some reason Cricket is telling me that it is compatible with "up to 3G data speeds." I confirmed that it's actually a 5S. Should I be concerned, or is this just Cricket being weird?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Thanks. Didn't want to blow thirty five bucks on 3G service. Still, it would be better than what I've been getting with Sprint.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

True, but since I'm coming from Sprint it's a useful point to make.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

LOL

Micro manage your usage to maybe be slightly cheaper than Cricket, and also be stuck on Sprint/T-Mo? Also, have to buy a N6?

Where do I sign up!?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

They shipped same day via two day shipping for me. Tracking number and everything. It came from across town though, so maybe they ship from a nearby store or something to save money?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Turns out the porting failed and they have a 3 day time out. Also for reference if it fails you have to wait another day after the three day timeout before you can attempt again.

Bummer. I just walked away from my old number. Everyone only has my Google voice number anyway.

Still can't log into PayPal though. They can't confirm my number. Hopefully it passes eventually.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I am fairly sure the number confirmation goes through a text that gets picked up by the app. If you have SMS to your GV number set up to do something other than pass right through to Hangouts it might complicate things.

Oh, it won't even send the text. Just refuses the phone number entirely. My GVoice is set up to just dump sms into Hangouts since that seems like the least inelegant way to handle them. I'd love to just have GVoice fully integrated so it's transparent, but that doesn't seem possible.

I just love having fast data where previously I had no data at all. And for half the price!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I went to Walmart looking for a Cricket sim last month and couldn't find any. Cricket ships quickly though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Just want to mention that I left Sprint for Cricket because despite having decent LTE reception outside my building Sprint's signal wouldn't penetrate inside and as a result I had zero service without standing next to an exterior window.

Maybe my office building is a near Faraday cage internally or something, but Sprint is definitely shittier at penetration than AT&T.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Massasoit posted:

Every once in awhile my texts aren't delivered (to someone on at&t) but other than that no issues

I get delayed texts occasionally too, but it's SMS and only a moron uses that for something that needs to be communicated quickly. Otherwise v happy.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

At least note that their data limit is apparently a hard cut off. Even if they were cheaper the possibility of accidentally going over the limit and being left completely without data would keep me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sure: get two sims, one Cricket, one anything else. Put the Cricket one in the phone and activate it. Throw the other one away.