Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Uggghhhh...I've been happy with my Virgin Mobile service and just got my mom to switch over. It's been the best (for me) data to price ratio and I'm not often outside of coverage area, but I refuse to go iPhone. Guess when this phone is to the point of replacing I'll be finding a new provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It may depend on your provider, but the listed phones may be only the "officially supported" phones for Wi-Fi calling. I have a Pixel 2 on Mint, and even though it's not on their list, wi-fi calling works for me (thankfully, 'cause for whatever reason I get zero signal inside my house).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Valicious posted:

Hey guys, I’m looking for a cheaper wireless plan. My partner and I both use < 1gb of data combined. We’re paying ~$55+tax right now for Google Fi.
Mint Mobile seems pretty nice at $15/month each (3gb), but I’ve seen mention of Mobi (never heard of them before) as well. Any of you have experiences with Mint?

Mint mobile runs off the t-mobile network exclusively, so if you live outside a metro area ymmv on whether you have signal or not. Even though I could use Wi-Fi calling while I was at home, I ended up switching to Boom so I could use the at&t network and have had no problems with signal since (aside from taking a back road that leads through a national forest, but that's kind of to be expected).

Otherwise, the service was good and super easy to change out your plan at next renewal if you realized you started regularly using more/less data than you planned.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So awhile back, I switched from Mint to Boom Mobile because T-mobile has absolutely garbage reception in my area and I was tired of having to rely on wifi calling at home, and having to hope my phone would work when I was out. Now Boom has ended offering AT&T MVNO services and I'm in the process of switching over to the equivalent plan on Verizion. Got the replacement SIM today, email support back to get it activated...and no reply yet. They moved my phone number to a dummy sim so that I wouldn't lose it since I had somehow missed info that AT&T support was ending until the last minute and so the AT&T service ended yesterday.

Still, the equivalent of $20/month for 5 GB/month data isn't bad, even if I have to pay an entire year upfront. Just know that support is not fast. Their chat would always time out and they've been having issues with their support line where the other day I spent 20 minutes on hold, get told I'm being forwarded to a representative, rings a bunch, get sent to voicemail, only to be told the mailbox number is invalid and to enter a valid mailbox number.