Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Thanks for this. For allset, it's LTE as of the 17th. Also, you can use any verizon phone. Also, you get an extra 500 megs of data for autopay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Civil posted:

I know this thread is about smartphone data plans, but I figured I'd just drop in with my "cheap phone for a kid" plan.

I have a 9 year old, who certainly doesn't need a smartphone, but I wanted him to have an emergency phone this summer, as we were sending him off to summer camps and wanted him to be able to contact us in an emergency.

AT&T's go phone has an option for 10c/minute, which requires a $25 deposit, which is good for 3 months. This means you have 250 minutes of talk spread over 3 months for about $8/mo. Good for emergencies, but not good if you need to really chat it up daily. Text messages are 20c per, and incoming and outgoing will both bite into your balance, but you can buy messaging bundles (which last 1 month) out of your balance as well. Same for data, but this type of plan is really best if you have wifi access.

I bought him one of the Nokia 520 phones for around $45, which came with the gophone activation plan. When you set it up, it asks you for the IMEI of the phone. Hopefully, you can dig up an old IMEI that the system doesn't recognize, and that will allow you to move onto one of the non-smartphone plans. Once the SIM is activated, you can either continue to use the Nokia, or move onto an android or iphone - it doesn't really matter. They don't care what you do from that point.

So anyway, that's about the cheapest month-to-month option I've found, and has worked well enough for our summer usage. When my kid is back in school, I'll let the plan expire, and buy another $25 worth of air time when we want to send him off on his own again.

Cheapest i found was H20 wireless for $10 gives you 200 minutes, lasts 90 days too. Uses the AT&T network.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Civil posted:

That's way better, perfect for this application. I had no idea this existed. Thanks!

Buy minutes from callingmart, get another 3% or 5% off and don't pay taxes either.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you can find 99 cent sim cards on ebay, H20 charges something ridiculous for their sim cards.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 23, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Does that $30 t-mobile prepaid plan also have unlimited music streaming as well?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Why is it called the t-mobile 'dork' plan?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Cojawfee posted:

Because it is lots of phone data and only 100 minutes of calling. Because you are a dork who uses lots of data but has no friends to talk to.

Seems like most people text anyway, people still talk on the phone? :v:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just discovered https://www.freedompop.com , and apparently it's a decent deal.

FREE 200 mins and 500 megs of data, OR you can buy unlimited mins and txt for 11$ a month.

Dunno if it's great, bad, horrible, whatever, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.

Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone curious.

Uses sprint so ....

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Bisty Q. posted:

Verizon just announced a $60 single-line plan with unlimited voice/text and 2GB of data.

Who cares? Well, it also includes a device subsidy - so you can get an iPhone 5S now for $100 + $60/month for 2 years. It's postpay, but worth considering if you're thinking about the high-end Cricket plan.

drat, i was trying to see if i could get an employee discount on the $60 plan, but i can't seem to get it to work. Anyone else have any luck?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy gently caress.

Welp, updating the OP then! THanks for this!

Edit: Unfortunately it's temporary...hopefully it'll be permanent. Cricket had 10GB of data before AT&T bought them. :v:

What? It says it's grandfathered if you get it in time:

quote:

Cricket has clarified to us that if and when they opt to end this promotion, both the new customers that signed up and the existing customers that get more data will be grandfathered in and get to keep it, even if the plans revert back to their original allotments

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

cbirdsong posted:

It seems like Cricket's promo data caps are the new normal? The page sure doesn't say anything about them being limited anymore: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

It says throttle brings your speed down to 128Kbps, is that enough to stream music from google music/soundcloud?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

TraderStav posted:

Mostly but expect delays on initial startup and if you skip tracks.

Cool thanks

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

Do any of you goons have other randoms on your Cricket plans? I'm looking to fill two spots and none of my friends want to save money and have more data, I noticed on reddit's r/nocontract people doing this but I guess I'm not sure how to do it reliably without getting burned on either end.

I'm doing this. I don't think there's too much risk, the only thing is that there's only one person with an account that can login to see things, that's kind of a pain.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

So basically I'd have the other person's phone number held hostage unless they pay? I'm assuming you just accept paypal or google wallet?

Yeah, basically, but those people can also pay with credit card using the quick pay option too.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/account-management/pay-for-my-service/customer/quick-pay.html

I think paypal would be a better option though, i THINK people can just do an automatic recurring payment without having to manually do it every month

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

carb0nex posted:

Any goon know how difficult it is to switch from StraightTalk to Cricket? I have been on ST since January, but a few times a day, I get zero service out of no where in places I have always gotten service. I don't know if it's ST or AT&T, but I'd still like to switch for all that extra data.

Not too hard, just need to give them your account # (which is the last 15 digits of your sim card #) and your pin. PM me if you need a referral and we both get $25.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Dumb cricket referral question, but if you're on a group plan, can you give out referrals if you're not the main account holder? Or do you have to give out the main account holder's information to get the referral?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

clockworx posted:

Does Cricket hit you with an activation fee if you order online? My wife did her signup in-store, and paid $10 for the sim and another $20 for activation (or $25, I forget).

None online

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Radbot posted:

Yeah - you don't need a business, though. Thousands of SlickDealers can confirm that, besides the fact that you can be a legal "Sole Proprietor" with only your SSN. Not that Harbor Mobile even requires that.

Seems like everyone in this thread lives in an area with bad T-Mobile coverage, since I can think of 2-3 T-Mo MVNOs that are consistently cheaper than Cricket. That's too bad. :(

Haven't seen T-mobile or their mvno's be able to beat the 5 member family plan deal on cricket though. I'm paying $20 a month (that includes taxes) for 1 gig of data/unlim voice and text. $30 a month gets you 3 gigs i believe.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Soundcloud couldn't play my songs on cricket today. I thought it was because i switched phones but now with all these posts...

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

MrKatharsis posted:

The 2nd Gen Moto X is $200 and is a steal compared to the Moto G. https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Since it's unlocked and pre-6.0, it may be able to tether on Cricket too.

My Nexus 6p wouldn't be allowed to tether on cricket? Any reason why?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

Because Cricket requires you pay to use that feature unless you're using an older version of Android that is rooted and/or using Xposed.

Ah nuts.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Athenry posted:

They lock out tethering based on phone model. My Nexus 5 could tether on Marshmallow, but my 6p can't. (bluetooth tethering still works)

Oh that's not too bad, can they detect if you're tethering via bluetooth though?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

Just get a Korean phone, root it and run WiFi tether router.

I can't tell if you're joking or not

Blue Train posted:

Been using harbor mobile, got this today. Thanks for the 2 day warning on a Friday cocksuckers

And this is why i'm on cricket.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Blue Train posted:

Me too starting today

Find some friends/family, do a 5 person plan, it's super cheap, i pay $20 a month for 2.5 gigs a month!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

I was giving you valuable information. Why I recommend Samsung or LG phone? because they are easy to root generally.

Oh ok, sorry, i read that as getting the Korean variants of those phones for some reason. Still a bit of hoops to jump through though.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Weird as all hell, both my wife and myself are connected to cricket, but my nephew, who lives with us, can't connect. Is this an outage for only select customers?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

cage-free egghead posted:

Tomorrow Cricket is upping their data allotment for plans.

$40 gets 2.5gb 3gb
$60 gets 10gb 12gb.

The $50 8gb plan is sticking around and won't be going back to 5gb. Unlimited is sticking around too.

Seems like it's been the 2nd or 3rd time they have upped the data. Pretty happy with cricket so far

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

They always have a few models of iphone/etc on sale around the afternoon of BF.

Goos deal if you plan to keep it.

Geez, i checked their website and they don't have the cheap iphones like the 6 or SE available anymore.

That's unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Do T-Mobile Mvnos throttle/give prioritization to T-Mobile customers?