Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I got a smartphone to put on Cricket and ordered the SIM card online.

UPS says they delivered the package, I never received it.

Called Cricket, they said they couldn't do anything because UPS is liable.

Called UPS, they investigated, and were unable to find the package, and said they would contact Cricket to get a new one shipped out.

I also talked to Cricket's warranted/claims department and they said that they can't refund my money (cost of SIM card and first month of the plan) because they don't have the phone number associated with my account (new number, so I guess it would be with that?)

Its been two weeks not and I haven't heard anything from Cricket or UPS. I disputed the charge with my credit card (Discover) under the area of "Did not receive good or service", and now they have been 'investigating' for about a month.

I've talked with 4 people at Cricket and two people at UPS and they're just pointing fingers at each other, and I'm stuck in the middle, out $50 and without cell service, waiting for one of the three parties (Cricket/UPS/Discover) to offer a resolution.

I've checked local Wal-marts, and apparently they do not carry Cricket SIM cards due to "poor coverage" in my area, but AT&T's network is pretty strong here. Somewhat hesitant to order another SIM card from Cricket. The most frustrating part of this is that they are apparently unable to send me a replacement card because I do not have the phone number for my account or the SIM card number.

Has anyone else had a poor Cricket experience? Any recommendations on how to proceed? Is there another MVNO I should look into that I can use? I have a Nexus 5. I don't really care about what number the phone has, as it will be a second line just for a smartphone so I don't care about porting a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TLG James posted:

You could always just use straight talk or net10, they're pretty much the same thing and you can get their service at walmart.

Does straight talk use at&t? I got the T-Mobile nerd plan for thirty dollars for now. Just needed the data but in the future I will need more talk time and T-Mobile doesn't have the best coverage in an area I spend about 30%of my time which is why I was interested in an at&t network.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rastor posted:

América Móvil is somewhat unique in having MVNO deals with all four major USA carriers. However be advised Straight Talk / Net10 / whatever other América Móvil brands have a terrible customer service reputation, hence the thread title. Posters here seem to generally prefer Cricket for AT&T's network.

The initial plan was to get cricket but I had a mishap with ups and shipping and they refuse to send me a new sim card and I refuse to give them more money until they refund what I already paid and unfortunately there is no cricket store near me.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Switched from T-Mobile nerd plan to Cricket. Coverage should be an improvement - at least theoretically. Neither one actually gets service AT my house though, but this is nothing new.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does cricket use the exact same towers as at&t? In on a nexus 5 with cricket and the gf is on an iPhone 5s with at&t and she seems to be getting a bit better service - at least on bars of service.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I switched form T-Mobile to cricket. I seem to have a lot less LTE coverage with cricket but overall I have more coverage than T-Mobile. The 3g seems far enough for anything I have tried to do on the phone (no streaming).

Interesting to see the difference.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With cricket is it worth it to set up two phones on the same account? If I understand correctly it would be -$10 for the total bill, but if you had 2 phones set up with autopay it would be -$5 each, so -$10 total.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anywhere online I can go to find people to go in on a Cricket group pay?

I may be interested in this. And I might have another person as well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts
tacosupreme
Massasoit, potentially +another.

Have 3 or potentially 4. Anyone else?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Man game stop sells cricket stuff... Would have been nice to know! I spent two months messing about with cricket because I didn't get the Sim I ordered. A game stop literally across the street from my work.

After three months of service a do like cricket though.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

Trip report: Verizon > Cricket

I was grandfathered on unlimited Verizon data, and yes I was in the top tier of users screw all y'all I used to suck down 50 gigs a month all the time (makes various rude gestures). But the overall plan came out to $100+ and screw that. So I wanted if possible to stay on unlimited data, and I thought I'd try to see if the Sprint and Verizon were abiding by the various federal rulings telling them they need to stop locking devices and AHAHHA okay sorry. Back to reality.

Cricket online service is balls. I started an order, they said they were having some kind of an outage, so my order broke halfway. They had put a $0 hold on my card to verify it, but I got no emails, no tracking numbers, nothing. Disappeared into the ether. I called reps a few times over a few days, my order was still ethereal but they had it somewhere because they could pull up my info.

Went to a store, took them maybe 5 minutes to unlock my phone, toss in the SIM, and I was up and running. Haven't had any issues since.

Cricket is badass, get Cricket, although I highly recommend you find a store and just have them do all the legwork for you. If your online order goes through it's totally painless, but that's an if.

...I still haven't heard back on that online order.

If you don't have a store near you try Game Stop, some of their stores carry cricket stuff.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think cricket if throttling me down to the 128kbps after hitting my cap - I ran speedtest and I was at 1.68 mbps up/4.38 down.

Does seem a bit slower, but not prohibitively slow.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does cricket have any in-home internet based signal boosters? I get good coverage with cricket, except at my house because of typography. My house is at the bottom of a hill that is between the AT&T tower in my town and my house

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have experience with signal boosters?

Specifically for cricket.

Not a microcell or whatever but an antennae you put outside and have a broadcaster inside.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have signal outside the house, just not inside. Based on the savings I calculated by switching to cricket the payback by switching and getting a $300 booster would only be like 3-4 months so it may even be worth it still

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any of you have a recommendation for a ruggedized phone (basic phone) a LA Rugby 3/4 that would work on cricket?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

nimper posted:

A Rugby 3/4 will work on Cricket

Yea, I was just seeing if there were any other options out there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

nimper posted:

Yeah I have Cricket now and the 8mbit cap doesn't bother me a bit.

I've gone past my 2.5gb data limit on cricket and it is still fast enough to browse SA get emails and do most web pages.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

nimper posted:

Two different speed caps in play here:

There's an 8mbit speed cap for when you're under your 2.5GB limit and then there's a 128kbit cap once you go over.

Yep. I didn't do a good job at getting my point across - even going past the high speed data limit, the slower speed is good for most things that aren't streaming, so the 8mbit limit should be more than enough for most people, unless you are a fringe case and need faster internet on your phone than I have at my house.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Every once in awhile my texts aren't delivered (to someone on at&t) but other than that no issues

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been getting updates on a nexus 5 on cricket

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have experience with crickets new Canada calling/texting? I'm going to Quebec City this week and I am wondering if it would be worth it to bump up to the 5gb plan that gives access to that calling (currently on 2.5gb plan). Is it just voice+text or data too?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In Canada on cricket, able to receive/send calls/texts.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just got a text from cricket saying I can now also use data in Canada/Mexico in addition to choice/text.

Went to Quebec last month and getting on the Rogers network was pretty easy and text/calling worked well.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I seem to be having an issue with texts/mms on cricket going back a few days. Anyone else? I'm in Boston.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm on a nexus 5 running 6.0

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/6pWOdlR

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Will the $50/8 cricket deal likely be grandfathered in after the promo ends? I am.on the 2.5 GB right now and usually hit about 3 GB at the end of my statement, and just deal with the low speeds. That much more data for $10 might actually make me switch over.

No wifi at work and I even avoid data heavy things and still end up with 3gb used

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is it important to mention cricket has no additional taxes/fees?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just switched my wife from her dad's att plan to my cricket plan and she said she's getting worse service then when she was on att. Using the same phone she was using on att.

Any validity to that?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

WhatsApp, Skype, Snapchat?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Afaik you don't get combined line AND autopay.

I have 2x50 cricket plans and it's 90, with autopay on

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

IIRC it works out to the same for the first few lines but you save more with the combo after the third line. I did the math a couple years back when helping my family go from Ting to Cricket back when they were Sprint only. It may have changed slightly since then but more or less it's a wash unless you've got like 5 people.

Yea it's the same as doing two separate accounts as it is with one account with two lines.

At three phones I think it's 10 off per phone which is better.

1 line 5 off autopay
2 lines 5 off multiline discount
3 lines 10 per line
4 lines 15 off per line
5 lines 20 off per line

With the caveat that the lowest tier may not qualify for multiline discount

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Waynebo posted:

That's crazy, I pay for two lines and had no idea AT&T Prepaid $50/8GB is the same price as Cricket after autopay/grouppay discounts. Why would I bother with Cricket at this point? Thanks!

Yea might switch over from cricket I guess. 3gb more/mo

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Google voice number?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm helping my friend and his family swap over their phone plans to cricket. Should I go to a store and grab four sim cards? Start with one number and go through all of them adding them to the cricket account?

Would it be better to go to a store and have them do them all at once?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are ther any Verizon MVNOs thay have prepaid minutes that don't expire?

I've been in some areas that I don't have signal with cricket/att a lot lately (for camping) and I believe Verizon might have more signal. I want it just for use in an emergency, since I have two sim slots.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Anyway I am just setting up the Cricket account info, apparently I can still enter a referral code for Cricket? So if anyone has one, I'll use the first one gets replied to.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/l/r...yowl&type=other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What is a good Verizon MVNO and can it use unlocked GSM phones?