Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But the difference in price between the $50 plan and the $60 plan is the exact price (well, within a dollar per year) of a prime membership. So it could be read as “buy our $50 plan and a Prime membership and get 10GB more hotspot data”.

I could see the extra being worth it when you're talking about 2+ lines. Data limits aren't shared between lines, right?

I just went through an interesting time with Red Pocket - I tried to port my number to them in July. The port didn't go through, but they never contacted me about it. I was going on vacation for a couple weeks so didn't follow up with them. Then a while later I gave them the missing information to complete the port. It ported my number out of AT&T, but it never activated on my SIM - on Red Pocket's side it was listed as a cancelled port (due to taking too long). After like a week hearing nothing from them and many hours chatting with customer service (and calling AT&T and Verizon) I got them to activate my plan on a different SIM so I'd at least have phone service while they tried to track down what happened to the number.

But surprisingly Red Pocket actually came through and activated the number that I was sure I'd never see again. Their customer service isn't terrible for simple requests - the main problem was that I had to contact them if I wanted to know what was going on - they didn't contact me at all until a week after my second port attempt.

I've had the same phone # for 20+ years, maybe I should just port it to Google Voice if switching between carriers is always going to be this much of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

TraderStav posted:

$12/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1gb on Verizon

+10$ a month for non-Comcast customers
+taxes and fees(doesn't seem to be large though)

Also the monthly charge seems to be even less if you don't use much data that month?

So not an amazing deal if you don't have Comcast, but still pretty good.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like Virgin Mobile will be shutting down and moving everyone over to (Metro?) In the US.

Virgin Media is apparently taking the brand back but who knows if they'll relaunch it.

Do people actually still use Sprint MVNOs? You'd think that anyone who was OK with Sprint coverage would have used one of the Sprint deals in the last few years instead.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

You can also combine that with their offers for buying new smartphones:
https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones
but you might have to pay full price for the first month.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

For an emergency phone you could also get a tracfone flip phone off of hsn with a minimal 1 year plan for $100 (-$20 HSN2021 code)

https://www.hsn.com/products/tcl-alcatel-my-flip-2-a406dl-tracfone-with-1200-mintext/20107742

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Don't forget to sign up for their referral/rewards program - it's worth an extra 6 months of service or so if you do it right.