Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm dumb about phones, so could somebody who's not an idiot set me on the right path? I'm looking for a durable android phone that's at least capable of running the awful app and playing music, preferably with a micro SD slot. Videos, 4G, camera, huge apps, games, and all that stuff I don't care about. And obviously it needs to be compatible with one of these pre-paid plans. Any suggestions? I like the Kyocera Torque, but I'm not sure about getting it to work on a prepaid network, although the phone itself seems to go for decent prices.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

What's your budget? Requiring a microSD is going to limit your choices, most manufacturers have stopped using them.

I just like the micro SD because everything on the cheaper end seems to be like 16GB max with no external storage, and with the micro SD slot, you can boost it up to 64GB pretty cheap. Plus it still works when the phone breaks. I'd like to spend less than $200 on the phone, refurbished or whatever. So long as it's durable and it lasts, I'm happy. Is everybody pretty happy with Cricket? Seems like there's been a lot of posting about it. I found a Verizon phone by kyocera called the brigadier that looks good and seems like it would be compatible with Cricket.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm getting ready to order a Moto E LTE, but I saw something that I don't think had been mentioned here. Cricket is selling the phone for $49.99 with activation. How the hell does that work? That's a stupid good deal if there's no strings attached.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/smartphones/moto-e-lte.html

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm signing up for Cricket right now. Anyone want to pm me or post their account email address for a referral? $25 for both of us.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

All Else Failed posted:

Ah, I didn't see it.

So, I think I'm bailing on Cricket. I literally have 4 pending transactions from their site putting them through while giving me an error message on my address (they require the shipping/billing to the the same address.) I expected their site to suck, but wow. So I call their number, cannot get a live person if not a customer. Ok, I go to the chat, and someone with the typing/grammar skills of a 3rd grader gives me the same number, finally giving me the number to the warranty department after 5 minutes. I call there, wait for a bunch of recordings, get a live person, who then transfers me elsewhere into some recordings, and I finally get a live person. A live person who has never run into this issue before. We end the call with her saying she'll call me back in 15 while I call my bank to contest the transactions, of course the bank needs them on the line. So I will either have to let them hear the last 4 of my Social or trust them to contact my bank on their own (hah, yeah right). Not a huge deal to hear the last 4 of my social but still, wtf. Waiting on her to call back now.

Google says my Moto G LTE should work on Tmobile. True? I don't know why I didn't just go with the dork plan in the first place, 5gb data for $30/mo compared to $45 with autopay... worried about building penetration and slightly less coverage but after this fiasco I really don't give a gently caress, I'll go outside to call people and tough it out, yikes.

ThermoPhysical -- I don't know if that wastes your referral or anything, but I won't be using it. Sorry!

I don't blame you for bailing, but I stuck through this process. They automatically refunded the 2-3 extra charges and I ended up getting it ordered. The only lovely thing now is that they made my shipping signature required and nobody is at home all day. So now I have to sort all that poo poo out over a $50 dollar phone.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I got through all the cricket activation bullshit, I'm pretty drat happy with the Moto E. Runs all the apps I needed flawlessly. For $50 you can't beat it. Thanks for answering all my questions everybody. And for anyone looking into cricket, the activation itself is really painless. The only hassle is that your billing and shipping addresses have to match, so I had to call my bank and sort that out, and they make shipping signature required which was a pain. But getting the phone turned on and autopay activated took all of 15 minutes. So long as the insurance policy doesn't suck, I'd really recommend that $50 Moto E LTE deal they've got going right now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pro-tip about microSD slots since I couldn't find much information on it and I had to take a risk ordering a card I wasn't 100% sure would work. A lot of the phones that are cheap enough to be worth getting for a prepaid plan will say they are limited to a 32gb microSD. This is because the 32gb and lower cards are SDHC, and are formatted as FAT32, but 64 and above are SDXC, and formatted as exFAT. However, you can get those phones to accept a 64gb card by formatting that card as FAT32, which is really easy, and worked flawlessly for me.

I bought this card, which cost 25$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C1I2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Then I formatted it to FAT32 with this program, which is like, stupid simple.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

And it worked perfectly for me on my Moto E LTE. So now my phone that has cost me $75 total has 65 gigs of storage and does everything I could ever need it to. Owns. Hypothetically, this should work for 128gb cards as well, but that's not an option in the program I listed, and it would probably take a little bit more technical know how. But yeah. Cheap and easy way to boost your storage way above what this tier of phones should be capable of.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to turn off that stupid setting on the Moto e lte that makes your camera turn on if your phone rotates 90 degrees twice?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boogalo posted:

That should be in the Moto app, under settings>actions.

That's where it is on my Moto X. Assuming its the same for the G and E.

yesssss. thank you. i've taken 240 pictures on my phone and 1 of them on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nimper posted:

What are you doing with your phone? With my Moto X you have to be pretty deliberate to launch the camera.

I work outside, so I'm usually in gym shorts. Just walking in those can trigger it.