Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
How is cellular/data coverage for T-Mobile and Sprint in western North Carolina? I live near Canton, though I commute to the Asheville area pretty frequently as well. I'm also fairly familiar with AT&T and Verizon's respective levels of service, so I'd like some idea of coverage for the other two carriers so I know which MVNOs are worth exploring once I get a job and no longer have to tighten my financial belt as much as I am.

For reference, Verizon's service (through Tracfone) has been pretty reliable, whereas AT&T is a total crapshoot even in downtown Asheville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

Khanstant posted:

I'll double check on when my etf even runs out, I'm kind of pissed it's there at all since when I originally upgraded to a smartphone, they basically didn't really cut a great deal on the price, rebate rejected, and I had to pay a 100 bucks to replace it on top of insurance when someone broke it. Ironically I think it worked out well for me, since the phone I have now is apparently immediately available to switch to Ting. I think I'm going to try Ting first and if I end up find out out I use more than I thought and it's too expensive, sounds like it'd be pretty safe to switch to dork plan, which is also pretty great sounding. Thanks y'all, my only regret is not reading these threads sooner.

Ting's also supposedly adding GSM service through T-Mobile starting in February. Don't know how heavily this will impact your decisions going forward, but something you may want to keep in mind.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

Rastor posted:

It mainly comes down to whose towers / service are better for you I guess?

This is mainly what I was getting at, yeah; come February, if you find Sprint's service to not be up to par and you like Ting's pricing options, you'll be able to try out T-Mobile's service while still using Ting (albeit with a different phone; Sprint's phones won't work on T-Mobile's networks, and vice versa I'm dumb and didn't read that Khanstant has a Nexus 5, so they should be good either way).

As mentioned, though, it'll come down to how T-Mobile compares to Sprint in your area regarding call reception, data, etc.

Pebble and the Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

Athenry posted:

Doesn't the Nexus 5 work on both though? It has all the radios and whatnot.

This is true of the Nexus 5, yeah; I saw the part of Khanstant's post where he mentioned it and I must've missed it initially. :downs:

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

I'm lookin' to start up a new Ting account and am hoping someone here who uses it can send me a referral link so the both of us can get those sweet, sweet bill credits. Anyone feeling generous? PM me or e-mail me at mrsawickiphd at gmail dot com if so!

E: Someone's got me covered, thanks!

Pebble and the Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

dphi posted:

Sent you a referral link!

Thanks, bud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

Wanted to give T-Mo a fair shake through Ting, but coverage is rear end in my area (western NC). Didn't see anyone post about US Mobile and bumped into them in my search for another provider, so thought I'd mention them.

Pricing model is extremely similar to Ting and they still use T-Mo as their GSM provider, but also offer CDMA coverage through Verizon; might be worth a look for anyone in here with CDMA devices. Hit me up in here or in PMs if y'all want a referral code!