Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any thoughts on the Google Fi plan vs the T-Mobile nerd plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What do you expect them to do? Call your job prospects for you and give the guy a lobotomy to remove the knowledge of the phone numbers?

It sounds like what they offered was pretty reasonable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone tried Mint sim?

Looks like you can get 5 gigs of 4g data, Unlimited 2g, Talk/Text for less than the nerd plan, but you have to pay up front. 3 month plan has a deal for like $16/mth, regular price is 35/mth. If you go to prepaying 6 months ahead or more the regular price is actually cheaper than the Nerd plan's $30/mth.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans

Not sure which networks they're using though. I'm currently on T-Mobile's nerd plan, but the 100 minute limit does get annoying from time to time, and the coming closure of hangouts (and possibly it's VOIP calling over the cell network) has me kind of considering other options.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Stick100 posted:

Yes, I got the cheapest plan for $11 a month. Unlim talk, text, and 1gb data used in a dumb phone for calls and texts, has worked great.

They use Tmobile for network so you should have the same service. They have huge deals show up occasionally if you watch on Slickdeals.com. EX: https://slickdeals.net/f/9718788-mi...low-as-14-month EDIT: Code still works, use "SHOPCLEVER" for 25% off.

Gives 12mo at 5gb for GRAND TOTAL $243.20. That's all w sales tax, beats Nerd plan by a large margin.

Note: They had a major data breach recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/604utx/psa_mint_simultra_mobile_data_breach/

Oh wow, with that discount you can get 10 gigs of 4g data + Unlimted talk/text and throttled internet after for an average just over 27/mth or 5 gigs for around $20.50/mth. Although it will of course go up to their full price after that. I do kind of enjoy getting the bing-on benefits for audio with T-Mobile, but I don't think i've ever actually gone over my 5 gigs even if you count the audio data against my limit.

Also, from what i'm reading their customer service is kind of hot garbage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Ultra Mobile had similar promotion. I was using their "free for first month" sims for 1+ year. It's not that great of a deal anyway.

Looking into it some more, looks like Mintsim is a brand spinoff of Ultra Mobile

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/08/ultra-mobile-launches-mint-sim-sub-mvno.html

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just switched tot he ATT prepaid $50/8gb plan from the old T-Mobile nerd $30 plan.

Holy poo poo having unlimited minutes is so liberating.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

STRONGLY considering switching from Fi to the ATT 16 gigs for $40. Anyone have any experience switching out of Fi? I do want to keep my google voice number and still use it as my primary one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How did you get the number back as a regular google voice number? Just cancelling the Fi service? Does it revert to just being a regular google voice number at that point?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Edited to remove request for referral since I've used a goon's now.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 23, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Got through my 3 month trial for mint and they actually emailed me suggesting I downgrade from the unlimited plan to the 10 gig plan because I used so little data.

I was not expecting the company to downsell me on their own product, but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm coming up at the end of my current 12-month Mint period. Any recommendations for a different pre-paid carrier? I'm generally pretty happy with Mint but if there's offering out there with more speed/data or lower prices I'm always interested.