Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Two questions for anyone who might know Cricket as I'm trying to convince my gf who has a father who works at Verizon to switch over:

1) The Verizon MVNOs basically all still suck compared to Cricket right?

2) So the Unlimited 2 plan at $80 is the same price as the 2x$50 plans ($100 - $5 autopay - $10 line discount)... and you get 22GB of less-than-highspeed compared to the regular plan's 8GB of actual-highspeed? I'm not sure I see the value. Am I missing something?

Mister Fister posted:

Geez, i checked their website and they don't have the cheap iphones like the 6 or SE available anymore.

That's unfortunate.

Byod bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't think Cricket has an 8GB plan anymore. It goes 5GB for $40 ($35 with auto pay), then Unlimited 2 for $55 ($50 with auto pay, 22GB of terrible 3mbps speed), followed lastly with Unlimited @ $60 ($55 w/autopay, 22GB at 8mbps which let's you stream HD). I don't think the group discounts for multiple lines is combinable with the autopay discount either. So if you just need two lines of slow data and don't want to have to worry about hitting a cap, it's kind of a value.

So I guess I'm grandfathered into the old 8GB plan then, that's news.

This new plan seems like a really strange substitute. High-speed* unlimited** data***!

*Throttled to 3GB
**Throttled more at 22GB
***We're totally not going to sell an add-on service to get HD video we swear!****
****Deezer video coming soon.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

IuniusBrutus posted:

How miserable will I be on ATT prepaid service? I want to go back to that sweet, sweet iPhone SE life and $150 for the phone and $45 for the service is a pretty solid deal on paper.

You can buy an iPhone SE unlocked for close to that price and use it anywhere?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

It looks like AT&T's prepaid $40 6GB plan is also not capped and includes rollover data like Verizon's plan so I'm going to choose one of those. Now that all the big carriers have decent prepaid plans and offer BYO device, I don't really see any reason to stick with mvnos unless you really need the extra $5-10 you might save.

IMHO: That's like saying (local internet carrier) is only $5 cheaper than Comcast so everybody back on board the monopoly.

The whole reason you can BYOD to a reasonable free 2g after highspeed cap plan is thanks to the MVNOs forcing competition.

I'd be hesitant to go back until it's a serious issue.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, I live in Orlando, the tourist section, and at busy vacationing times (ie right now) there are so many additional people here that my speeds on Cricket drop to a crawl. Occasionally nothing will load. Typically most of the time I'm probably getting between 1-3 mbps unless it's late at night where I can get 8 mbps. Cricket has never been as bad as Virgin Mobile, my previous service, where literally half the time I couldn't get anything to load at all, but Cricket is getting noticeably slower.

But are the tourists actually getting full speed on the big carriers at those times, or is coverage a bit crap for everyone because the towers are overloaded?

Back when I was on Verizon, there were lots of times when I'd be in a tourist area and effectively lose my data connection. I have zero trust there.

Anecdote: I use Cricket in Chicago, lots of coworkers to compare with at office lunch and etc. It's very rare for me to have trouble doing something, and someone on Verizon to have to come to the rescue.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

poppingseagull posted:

So happy Cricket added WiFi calling recently. I like in a new, concrete apartment building and its a signal death zone except right by the windows. Doesn't matter Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile/Sprint. Now I can actually get/make calls reliably at home.

Hangouts Dialer works most of the time if you don't mind Google listening to your calls.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the update notes a while ago. I didn't trust Google managing my Wi-Fi when I had Project Fi, I'm not going to trust loving Cricket. Just gimme the data I'm paying for, thanks.

For people like me who were paranoid about this from a long time ago. Project Fi added automatic VPN upon connecting to unsecured networks before it starts sending data. So if that was your concern, it is handled now.

BonoMan posted:

Actually I just called up Cricket and they gave me some new APN settings to try... so hopefully that works out!

There have been a couple of times in Cricket's history where they hosed up APN settings. If your connection starts to suck, Google for what the latest APN settings are. I had this happen once years ago.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Random trip report for anyone it might help:

My wife just switched from Verizon contract to the prepaid world. Monthly bill went from over $100 to more like $30. Laughing all the way to the bank. Her mind was blown that she can finally delete the NFL app she's been hating for years.

Google Fi - Average bill for 1 line @ 2GB or so: $50/mo.

In a year of use I'd be hard-pressed to tell you how the network coverage is much different from AT&T aside from the moments when the phone is switching networks. On a road trip sometimes Verizon would make it a few extra miles into the boonies but there's currently a massive lawsuit about Verizon failing to provide promised coverage to the boonies so I guess I can confirm that too? Anyway, I went to a couple countries in Europe and all I had to do was wait a few minutes for my phone to realize where it was. For an international traveler in Fi-covered Zones, Fi might be the coolest carrier going.

Google Fi is a nicely mature service now, and with the MotoX4 Android One as a "budget" option (honestly I hate Google's phone anyway) this is a really strong competitor in the market. Being able to use Hangouts for Calls, SMS, and Chat is absolutely amazing. Hangouts lets you get and send SMS right in Gmail. Google is also sunsetting Hangouts as part of their plan to enhance Messages, but Messages doesn't do this yet. Right now Literally Everyone is still using Hangouts, and there is some fear they could kill most people's favorite feature accidentally. Something to watch out for... but then again since no other carrier does this to begin with most people aren't comparison shopping here anyway. If you're not in the right international zone and/or you're not confident Google's going to work this out, Fi might still be way cheaper than the big contract carriers, but it has still competition in MVNO-land.

Cricket - Bill for 2 lines w/ 5GB: $65

My wife really wanted the OnePlus6T, which despite being dual-SIM isn't on Fi's list so I said screw it we'll go back to Cricket and save money anyway. Absolutely still my favorite budget carrier, and OnePlus apparently finally fixed most of the software bugs that were keeping me away so I think I found my next phone. We're getting 2 lines for way less than what Fi would cost using the same data. We both went with the 5GB plan because eff their throttled "unlimited" plans so hard. Cricket/AT&T's coverage is still more than adequate in most areas, speed was fine and I just did a 3-hour walk across town using YouTube as a podcast (screen off reduces data when you have Google Music w/ free Youtube Red). Zero interruptions. 100% happy with Cricket again.

The only issue we had: When we signed up online, Cricket asks for the IMEI number BEFORE you can purchase a SIM. This is Real Dumb. My wife had just ordered her phone so I wanted her SIM to arrive at the same time. You cannot order a blank SIM online and must talk to the chat people to shake it out of them - and the SIMs in stores are often out-of-date versions so getting online is a better idea. I went ahead and used my IMEI for both lines. My phone activated fine, but my wife's wouldn't quite finish the process. This resulted in having to call the service line and we got a Spanish-speaking guy who kept muttering "OH MY GOD" looking over our order. But inside of ten minutes- including a reboot and callback- her service was fully functional. Way better service than I've ever gotten with another carrier. Kudos to Cricket for apparently fixing what used to be a weak spot.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

tino posted:

10 bux per gig is too high compare to other prepaid options.

And they never changed the price make you wonder if goog is doing it as a hobby.

I think it's more of an experiment in getting people to be on Fi without consuming much data. Then they can approach more networks and say if they allow Fi traffic it won't really matter because none of their users consume data anyway. They'll move to competition-crushing prices if people aren't turning their noses up at the coverage map anymore.

Geoj posted:

Fi just recently opened up BYOD, and FWIW you've pretty much always been able to do so if you're willing to put up with a few functions not working correctly (MMS and VVM didn't work for the longest time) providing you had a Fi-approved phone to activate your SIM on. I've been on Fi with a Oneplus 3T since January of last year.

I heard non-Fi devices actually only use T-Mobile and nothing else, and this person was coming from Verizon so that's just not acceptable. In that case Cricket/ATT both has better coverage and lower prices. So it's a no-brainer.

But if Fi devices can switch (even if you have to reboot) that would be worth knowing.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Geoj posted:

Not really sure where you're getting this from, I re-read the entire post and there's nothing about T-Mobile being unacceptable.

"this person" is my wife / person I'm buying for.

Geoj posted:

FWIW I was just addressing the "wife wants a OP6T but its not on the Fi approved devices list" comment.

Non-supported compatible devices don't seem to be a good buy imho. T-Mobile is already an international carrier, so the international coverage is already okay for buying straight T-Mobile, which is cheaper. The only other major feature for me is Hangouts integration. Thanks to Google dragging their heels on their roadmap, Hangouts was silently sunset a while back. In security-paranoid terms nobody should be using it. Google wants to move all the features to Messenger... theoretically... maybe... in 2020. This sucks hard.

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/02/google-hangouts-shutting-down/

Geoj posted:

They used to do this - ballpark X GB of data you think you'll go through in a month, then your bill consists of $20 for talk/text, $X for your projected data needs and $Y difference between that amount and what you actually use.

The "guess your usage" is just a gimmick. Data is prorated to the cent.

Ex:
usage (for Oct 13 - Nov 13)
Used 2.042 GB at $10/GB
$20.42

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

It will just basically be renamed to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet and consumers are free to use it as well.

Nice. At the time when I switched this was all still breaking so I left the loop.

I'm not sure Hangouts Chat (as it exists today) is really the replacement I'd want, but who knows where it'll end up.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Boogalo posted:

Neither my Moto X or Galaxy 7 are rooted and hotspot works just fine. I don't know if its because cricket just didn't bother to disable it on them, or why they singled out the specific model of my coworker's phone to disable.

I've seen phones drift in and out between Android updates on the same phone and same Cricket plan. Varies from phone to phone, update, etc, but the carrier always has control on Android.

Partycat posted:

The cricket store can waive or credit the fees if they like you - though I don’t know how that impacts their monies. You could always ask what they will whack you to get it all setup in person.

I'd assume the workers make commission (or equivalent) on new signups so if you went to a store and made a huff about how you'll only sign up if the fee is waived I bet they'd bite.

edit: And dumb comment but have them spend the time to draw up an itemized bill BEFORE you go into a huff. I've seen so many cases where someone just walks up to a customer service person and screams that they'd better waive the signup fees and the clerk is justifiably responding "Hello I have no idea who you are please go away". Play the rube a little and let them work their pitch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T, but wondering if there's any downside (besides, you know, AT&T stuff).

They have a double data plan with a $5 cheaper plan than cricket has.

There may be some really specific differences in international calling and such. Make sure you check the weird edge features if you need them.

Back in the day when I got super excited over MVNOs, the major carriers were lacking a lot of features. As Cricket and such have risen, and been absorbed again by the carriers, the benefits have smoothed out. Today you can pretty much go wherever the price and service (towers and support) is good.

revwinnebago fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 9, 2019

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

STRONGLY considering switching from Fi to the ATT 16 gigs for $40. Anyone have any experience switching out of Fi? I do want to keep my google voice number and still use it as my primary one.

I did. I ported my numbers to Cricket (edit well, that's basically ATT) the usual way, made sure they activated, and checked to make sure Fi was canceled. I think it auto-hibernated itself or whatever when it detected the change.

The biggest problem was just that as of last I checked, you had to order a Cricket SIM with the MMID of the phone in hand, when activation doesn't actually require an MMID until you plug in the card. If you plug in the same MMID for all your lines as I had to do since I was still ordering new phones, you just had to call someone later to press some buttons, because all the SIMs were pre-registered to the same MMID, but it took literally 10 minutes including hold time, if that.

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, when you cancel, it asks you what you want to do with the number, and converting to Google Voice should be an option presented.

I'm not even sure you have to bother, as the MVNOs tend to be pretty good about liberating your number if you talk to somebody. But yes, I think this is an option.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Verizon Prepaid trip report: My wife never experienced coverage other than Verizon for her whole life so I was going to try a pilot program to put her on Verizon Prepaid for a bit to see if she prefers it over Cricket/ATT.

Verizon's ordering process was Literally The Worst so even as a computer programmer I was having trouble making the thing go through. Somehow I'd click that I wanted BYOD and it would take me to their contract plans, I'd click Prepaid and couldn't find how to BYOD, on and on. Then they somehow lost the order. They never charged my card, and it broke my account's order screen. I called to see if they could make sure the order was properly canceled in case it messes anything else up, and the person on the other end had to ask for my card number again to make sure it didn't get charged(???).

Kind of impressed at how poo poo their ordering system is. I'd probably recommend just going to a kiosk so someone can do the legwork for you? Then again I think I have that same recommendation about all MVNOs... try to order online, but if things mess up, don't be afraid to find a kiosk because they will actually try to fix your issue while you're standing there, and the workers probably get commission for signups, so they appreciate it as much as a mall worker can still feel human emotion.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Cricket: Started screaming my wife was tethering too much. I checked and they'd added a much better unlimited option.

$60/mo ($55 w/ auto pay)
Unlimited LTE*
15 GB Hotspot/Tethering
*Throttled during congestion

Switched both me and my wife over, total bill went from $70 (both on 5gig) to $90 (both on unlimited).

$45 apiece for unlimited and hotspot? Goddamn!

Uthor posted:

How prepaid

I think it's always 30 days from activation and thereafter, because they want to get that lump sum out of you every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Uthor posted:

Cricket charges me every month on the 8th...

If it renews every 30 days, that fucks with Android's usage tracker as you can only set it to reset on a specific date, not every X days.

Oh sorry no, it is on (date) every month.

I was trying to say that date will usually be when you signed up, and not prorated to the first of the month or whatever.