Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I said hosed it and got the Sprint free for a year plan to play around with. It costs 10.01 a month for tax and fee. I activated on a 6S Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

kensei posted:

Interesting, but you need a live VZW number to do it with?

I ported an expiring Red Pocket (ATT) number, but you can get a pay as you go H2O or TMo or ting number to port.

I just got a H2O sim with first month service included on eBay for 12, I plan to use up its included data than I will use it to port, assuming Sprint still offer it in 20 days.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You get free 2G speed roaming from Sprint if you sign up for their free one year deal FYI.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
10 bux per gig is too high compare to other prepaid options.

And they never changed the price make you wonder if goog is doing it as a hobby.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I have been using both Sprint and Mint. Mint is not bad. Even in the dead zone at work, I still get signal most of the time. Definitely better than ATT signal through Red Pocket. I can live on a single Mint sim if I have to. My phone also has 2 sim slots so I can put another prepaid sim in the 2nd slot.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Google Voice is free and handy, but sometimes you can't use it to sign up for free promotion.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Xiaomi Max 3

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Wifi call is enabled on google voice.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kraps posted:

How does that work? Also don't you have to get a new number?

You can port your number to google voice. When you call out your google number will display on your friend's phone.

You can use multiple phones on the same google voice number.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You never had control of the hotspot function unless your phone is rooted/jailbroken. This is always the case.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Boogalo posted:

Neither my Moto X or Galaxy 7 are rooted and hotspot works just fine. I don't know if its because cricket just didn't bother to disable it on them, or why they singled out the specific model of my coworker's phone to disable.

I am saying it's up to the your carrier to decide if they give you the freedom to use hotspot whenever you want.

If your carrier meter and price mobile data/hotspot data the same way they wouldn't give a gently caress, but most US carriers treat they differently.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
My wife's free Sprint plan is expiring in July. Since she HAS TO use an iPhone, I am thinking getting the Simple Mobile and a refub iPhone 8 for her. Cheapest plan is about 23 a month for 3GB. you can ask for unlock after 12 months.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

nimper posted:

What's stopping you from taking your wife's current iPhone to Simple Mobile?

It's sprint. Plus 6s is too old, we want to upgrade to faster phone.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's weird that I live in a time where the government broke up a utility because it became a monopoly, and then over the years I've seen it slowly eat itself back into being pretty much just one big company again.

It's not wired. We are in Gilded Age 2.0, we are 10 years away from BioShock.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did you get the number back as a regular google voice number? Just cancelling the Fi service? Does it revert to just being a regular google voice number at that point?

Stop the Fi service without porting out, just a wild guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Here is my annual "what cheap prepaid plans am I getting for me and my wife" update

Both my wife and my "Sprint free" plasn were ending. I missed the opportunity to reup so both of us are looking for alternative. Honestly Sprint signal is worse than TMO in NY so no big lost.

My wife HAS TO use an iphone so finding a newish iphone for her is always the most expensive part of the equation. I missed the Visible cheap iPhone 8+ promotion so I ended up getting a new Verizon iPhone XR from Target with a $200 target giftcard. This promo has came twice so it should come back again soon, probably with bigger incentive. IMO $750 XR with a 200 giftcard is still better deal than the smaller $550 iPhone X. And I have yet find a way to buy an iphone without paying the tax.

We suspended the Verizon account a couple days later and ported it out to Mint Mobile (TMo). Make sure you suspend the service first before porting out in order to pay only the prorated period instead of the full month. She is doing $15 plan with 3GB of fast data and may change to $20/8GB plan (you have to commit to a whole year).

I am also using Mint but keeping an eye on the market.