Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Basically the TL;DR version is

super cheapass: Ring+
normal: TMobile $30 plan
high demand: Harbor Mobile

Your welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

I like how Ring+ requires you to make an account before you even see their plans or phones. :v:

Harbor Mobile looks like it's only for businesses though but I could be mistaken.

I will order an unlimted sim next month, I will let you know.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

I like how Ring+ requires you to make an account before you even see their plans or phones. :v:

Harbor Mobile looks like it's only for businesses though but I could be mistaken.

Also, it's on Ringplus's front page, maybe your browser is broken?

edit: and somebody need to buy ThermoPHysical a John Legere avatar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 22, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If anybody want to try out Ring Plus, most Boost Mobile phones work.

I have both Boost Kyocera Hydro and Samsung Rush confirmed work.

You can buy a preowned Hydro for 15 on BOost Mobile right now.

You want to go through one of the cashback referral sites (Ebates, Fatwallet, Extrabux etc), it will give you a cash back amount of $17-20 for your Boost purchase. You can't do more than twice otherwise BM blacklist your address. ;p

I really like the Samsung Rush. It has decent fits and finish and you rarely see 750MB memory on a throw away phone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 23, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Added Ultra Mobile $19 plan

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Snowden said turned off smartphones are traceable. I believe this theory. It shouldn't be that hard to implement on firmware level. Maybe you can stop it by taking the battery out. But some phones have non removable batteries.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 29, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bollig posted:

So I posted this in another thread, but this seems like the place to do it. I live in Europe, but I travel to the States once or twice a year for around two weeks at a time. It would be pretty silly to pay ~400 a year to have service all the time. Is there like a Tracphone type service where I can just top it up? Or just pay for a month of service? I'm getting a Moto G, for what it's worth. And there doesn't seem to be any difference coverage, where I travel, as far as networks are concerned. I'm about to head over, and I'm hoping to port my old number. While this isn't a complete priority, to keep my old number, it would be swell. Otherwise, I'm just going to port it to Google Voice.

I honestly don't need all that much, data wise, just enough to be able to pull up the occasional map if/when I get lost and then maybe surf yelp or something like that in case my idiot friends can't decide where to eat.

I believe Black Wireless is very traveler friendly and let you buy the sim first and activate the sim when you arrive U.S.

Check ebay.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MMS is not a working protocol. FTC should just ban it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ordered a Harbor Mobile unlimited sim, let's see how it goes.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Galaxy light has removable battery.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got the Harbor Mobile sim today. It's a Tmobile sim. They basically resell their TMobile business account piece meal and make some money off of it. I don't how long will this business racket last. They seem to be sanctioned by T-Mobile. I am going to use about 50-80GB of data and see if I can get into trouble.

In other news Sprint drops their TMobile buyout plan. I am just happy I will hear more quotes from Legere.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 6, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I told you guys about the Ultra Mobile $19 $29 plans which give you unlimited call/txt and 100MB or 500MB of 4G data (no overage data). It turns out that you can buy Ultra Mobile sim on ebay with first month $29 plan preloaded for $13-14 bux each. This is perfect for my wife. I am going to start a new sim every month and she can use it thru google voice to keep the same call out number.

Too bad there is no nano sim option, I have to get a nano sim cutter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TLG James posted:

Looking to replace my GS3 in the next 6 months or so. I just can't understand why the Moto X doesn't have a micro sd card, but the G does. Hopefully they release a G with LTE soon.

Why? because google hates users.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

If ExcessBLarge was here he'd explain it to you, but basically Android is better without SD cards and you should blame manufacturers for skimping on what amounts to a couple of dollars more for a reasonable amount of flash storage.

I can't hear you over my gozillions of offline videos, podcasts and audiobooks.

[/url]

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my one month of unlimited 4G Harbor Mobile plan is almost over. Outside of fluctuated speed during lunch time at work, I am very happy with TMobile's speed and network performance. Used almost 49gb of data.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just want to give you guys a mini review

I brought a couple Ultra Mobile sims for my wife. It's a TMobile MVNO, for $29 a month, you get unlimited voice, text, free calls to some countries and 500MB of data. Additional data pack is cheap.

The best part is you can buy sims on ebay that come with first month of service for free, for $14-15 each. That makes it the cheapest GSM option for casual smartphone users.

There are two type of cards you can buy, one on the right is the red card. It comes with 1 months of service officially, so you just have to activate it on ultra.me. The bpurple colored type, you have to call a dealer to activate the free 1 month service. Either one is fine. I believe the red doesn't allow porting and the purple one can port in a number. My wife use Google Voice so it no concern of mine.

Ultra doesn't have nano sim so I have to get a nano sim cutter too.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finisher1 posted:

Ah okay, thanks. Would have liked to have kept my LG Volt under a Cricket plan, but gently caress it, maybe it's time to spring for an unlocked GSM smartphone.

All the best prepaid smartphone deals are pretty much all Sprint MVNO, I will let you guess why.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you guys do me a favor? If you go to setting and turn off mobile data, does the Hangout voice call still work? This works for Google Voice ao this is important to me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Ah, I've stuck with an older version of Android so that I can still wireless tether with FoxFi (on verizon unlimited data). Glad to hear that things can only get better! And yeah, my battery has gone to poo poo too (and also started to erupt out the back - seriously, part of the kevlar is peeling up and away).

Just promise me you don't put the phone in your jeans pocket....and only take calls with a bluetooth earphone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

T-Mobile has a new offering between the $40 and $50 plans - for $45 you get unlimited voice & text, and for data they drop the pretense that getting throttled down to edge is "unlimited" and give you a hard cap at 2 GB.

I considered moving my wife over to it from the dork plan but ever since changing jobs and getting away from her wino former manager who insisted on calling her 3-4 times per week and talking her ear off she hasn't been using nearly as much voice.

You can get it from Harbor Mobile for $30 with 2.5GB.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

Isn't the jury still out on if they're actually going to enforce the whole "we're a business carrier" thing? Plus I thought others had reported they won't port out a number from a current T-Mobile account...

They don't care. You can just tell them you are opening the acccount as "Your name" because you are a samll business and you need to open a DBA account. In fact there is only one spot you can fill in a made up business name. Nobody ask for the tax id. I threw in one of my old website domain just in case but in retrospect you don't have to.

Think of it like openning a business credit card, banks don't care if you use your name to open a business account.

Well just port it to a ATT MVNO and port it back to Harbor Mobile if thats the case. I don't pay attention to the porting business.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 27, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

So basically I'd have the other person's phone number held hostage unless they pay? I'm assuming you just accept paypal or google wallet?

If you use google voice as proxy the actual carrier don't need to touch your number, which is the only valuable thing.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's up guys, I am back.

I haven't following this thread in a while, I am sure you guys are talking about boring Criket or Sprint MNVO plans.

I am just going to post about this once. I don't even want to talk about it on slickdeal or howardforums.

Are you guys aware that T-Mobile is doing alot of "first month first" promotion on its MVNOs. The reason it is limited to the TMo network is that TMO is the only one who have decent amount of indirect sales (mom and pop prepaid shops). They are letting the indirect sales push first month free promotion to grab more subscribers. However the indirects are selling the sims online. I think the indirects are getting additional commissions as well.

If you search "sim first month free" on ebay, you can get these sims for real cheap (all come with first month of plan included).

Simple Mobile: as low as 1 bux, for a $40/1GB plan
Lycomobile, as low as 7 bux, for a $39/750MB plan
GoSmart $7, $25 plan
T-Mobile prepaid $15 for a $80 unlimited everything plan (yes the unlimited 4G plan)

Also the Ultra Mobile plan which I mentioned a few months back, which is $15 for a $29 plan
. FYI, if you buy the Ultra Mobile orange not the purple card, it comes with first month free officially on the card, so there is no expiration on this orange card, in case you want to have an extra card stashed under the pillow as your insurance policy.

The catch is you must have number ported to google voice, Tmo is spending money to buy new subs so there is no way they will port a T-Mo number for you. I mean you can talk to the supervisor and try your luck but I am not going to waste my time

Secondly all sims require you contact the sellers to activate them within a short period, and the activation is not instant, it takes a day or 2 to activate it. Some seller has a hot line phone number for you to call to activate the sim automatically. But in my experience it created more issues than the messaging the ebay seller.

Lastly I heard the rumor that TMo may blacklist your phone. I think its an urban legend but I will get to it later.

So that's what I am doing. On my wife's phone, its going to be a new $2 Simple Mobile sim every month.

I use a ton of data so I will be using T-Mobile prepaid's unlimit everything plan. $15 every month, that's a big discount from my current $53 Harbor Mobile unlimited everything plan

As for the blacklist thing, I just don't see how TMo is going to tell my phone from the phone of a prepaid shop sales guy's phone which will have a few new sims inserted in it everyday. Secondly, I am confident TMo will only monitor their own prepaid service's IMEI numbers not their MVNO's IMEI numbers. Lastly I got a old rear end Optimus G Pro with a cracked screen, I don't care if TMo balcklist my phone, I will get another OG Pro

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 28, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

Oooh, this is interesting. If i didn't have so much credit built up in Cricket I'd probably give this a try. Please report back and let us know how it goes.

If it takes 1-2 days to activate do you plan to just activate it a couple days before the previous sim runs out?

Yap

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Activated a Simple Mobile sim today, got 10 calls and nonstop voice message. Whats annoying is Simple Mobile kept transcribing and texting the vm to me. Good thing I dont route my google voice to this number.

Is there any funny answer message I can set on the answer machine for these assholes?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh come on, its so cliche. I am going to use the Kramer moviefone answer.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What if you used it for a month then stopped paying? You can't reactivate the account at all? Is the SIM card now useless?

You have 60 days refill money and reactivate it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

T-Mobile is following up their new prepaid plans with boosts to plans on their Metro PCS brand.

Especially interesting is the unlimited 4G LTE data, talk and text plan (no throttles or limits, they claim) for $50/month. What's the catch? "$50 promotional plan available only to customers with MetroPCS GSM phones with LTE connectivity. Bring your own device phones and CDMA phones are not eligible for this plan." Naturally their phone choices are limited, however, they do include the Samsung Galaxy S series.

You can get that price now from Harbor Mobile. 53 after tax.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can somebody send me a Cricket referral link?

I want to try out the $100 promotion once the 5GB data bucket on the my T-Mo prepaid sim is used up.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can, just shoot me your name using the e-mail you want to be referred under to NOPE

$45/mo

Looks like Cricket changed how referrals are done. Instead of using CricketWireless.com, you go to some site to sign up and make a referral account. You'll then be given access to a link and QR code to share as well as name/e-mail referrals.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2015-01-22/google-reaches-deal-with-sprint-to-sell-wireless-service
http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-sell-wireless-service-in-deals-with-sprint-t-mobile-1421887967?autologin=y&mg=id-wsj

Looks like Google will officially have their own MVNO this year.

Sprint is gross.

I don't remember Google ever offer competitive price in hardware.

How do you roam between TMobile and Spring anyway?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

Wait what do you mean because the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced well below their competition.

It's just ok. Plus only cheap phones don't offer SD slot and replaceable battery. Plus you have to pay tax and shipping no matter what. So after said and done its not cheaper than less popular (LG/HTC) older flagship phones.

Edit: And I am not impressed by the screen google use. Basically its top tier SOC with 2nd tier everything else.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 23, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

Let's not start this stupid sd/battery argument again. For many people, it is definitely cheaper as they're not held under contract or tied to a subsidy.

Fun fact: the Nexus 4 is just a stripped down LG Optimus G and the Nexus 5 is stripped down LG G2.

I am just comparing to other off contract phones you can buy on deal websites and ebay, new or used. I don't buy from carriers. N5 screen is not as good as LG's flagship phones.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 23, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stick100 posted:

You realize the N4 and N5 were offered for $350 (16gb) while the G2 and G3 were $700? That's not a small difference. Also don't forget the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 were top tier hardware for less than 1/2 the price of the main competition (ipad).

You are right that taxes + Shippping made it more like $410 vs $770 but that's still a significant discount.

The $700 price tag and is fake and you know it. If you don't think that's a phoney price you are just lying to yourself to justify your Nexus purchase. Even If you getting the phone for $200 on contract (which is usually lowed after 3 months after release for any non Apple phone ) and immediately pay out the first month and the $350 cancellation fee you still pay far less than the 700 number you quote. That list price is like GM vehicle's list price, no sane person ever pay that price. Getting an unlock code on ebay is what? $5 to $15 usually.

I am not done making GBS threads on google until they drop the ridiculous shipping and mandatory tax.

edit: I was being nice and didn't mention google phones' camera qualify. They are probably worse than Xiaomi. I think this kind of argument belong to an Android thread so I only mentioned the pricing aspect of the comparison.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 24, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 5 and 6 are the only Google-brand devices that are CDMA, LTE, and GSM all at once. They would be able to switch things on the fly.

If Google is able to pull this off, it'd be the first carrier to ever do this. As stated in the article (and what I said earlier on this page), Straight Talk allows you to roam from AT&T to T-Mobile and vice-versa but you can't switch on the fly definitely not between GSM and CDMA.

No one knows exactly how this would work, but it is well-known that Google has had very deep partnerships with Sprint and T-Mobile in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if either carrier made some exceptions for Google to be able to do this.

I am sure google can do it on Nexus phones. The question is can you do with any other phone in BYOD fashion.

On topic of MVNO, Amazon offer a prepaid plan make a lot more sense to me than google. They can easily tie it into Amazon Prime. They are also the perfect vendor to offer an ad-sponsor style prepaid plan.

AlexDeGruven posted:

The sales tax is mandatory from the state, not Google. Even if a website doesn't charge you sales tax, you are legally required to pay it through your state income tax return after the fact.

OK so why can't google sell Nexus 6 on newegg so I can pay the tax myself separately? And get free shipping.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 27, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I activated a Cricket account yesterday.

When can I see the referral credit on my account?

I ported a number from TMobile prepaid. I think I will get the 100 port promotion credit. Not sure if I will get the $25 referral link credit.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my Cricket/Moto G package today. Tried it on an OG Pro and an unlocked PadfoneX, both work fine without a cricket specific APN.

Can anybody confirm you can use the whole data allotment for tethering on a proper phone. I don't feel like testing it myself.

I am not crazy about the speed, even on the Moto G w/ the proper APN, The best I can get is 5MB down 5MB up. Tests with a Simple Mobile sim get 18MB down 15 up consistantly. This is in Brooklyn.

The Moto G LTE is lame. There is no tethering option whatsoever. What the hell. Google vanilla rom is super bland and...pedestrian. I can't wait to nuke this rom from orbit.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eric posted:

Cricket is capped at 8mb/second and you can do anything you'd need to with 5mb on a cell phone. Can someone please explain why I would need speeds like 50mb/second on a cell phone that doesn't involve torrents?

You really don't (need that speed), but what's the point of offering LTE models on Cricket anyway?

Anyway I look around this phone (Moto G LTE XT1045) is completely locked down. There is no root, no tether menu, no way to unlock bootloader or downgrade from 4.4.4. Actually this is the first Android device out of 20+ I have owned that I can't root. I think I will just get the $75 rebate and sell it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to give an update on the Simple Mobile sims I have been using from the previous post.

I went to Simple Mobile's website to see if there is a way to check your current data usage. There is no way to do it, no way to do it on an app either. Oh you need sim# and phone# to add a sim/device to your online user account, hilarious.

The good news is they upgraded the cheapest $40 plan to 2GB a month. So that's good. I probably can get by with just 2 sim every month.

As for the prefund sims on ebay, you can get one for less than 2 each if you buy 3-5 at a time. Keep in mind that these sellers are amateurs, out of 7-8 sims I have purchased so far, quite a few of them come in in wrong sim size, so keep your sim cutters handy. Cutting a regular sim to micro sim is easy, you can just do it with a scissor. However cutting a nano sim is harder. One time I also got a nano sim even though I wrote in the ebay message I need a micro sim. So I recommend getting a nano sim adapter jacket ahead of time too. This is something you can't jerryrig yourself.

I personally don't worry about the blacklist rumor anymore. Simple Mobile's discussion traffic on howardforum is so ridiculous small I don't think TMobile will bother. You can always switch to a different MVNO once in a while to break up the streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a txt from cricket that I am qualify for the 100 porting credit, that's 5 days after I activated the number. That's pretty good.

I still see only 1GB data on my account online. What will happen will I switch to the $50 plan and switch back to the $40 plan? Wil I lose 10 dollars?