Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
So if you're on the T-Mobile dork plan and you have a Google Voice number, you can use the Hangouts dialer to do unlimited VOIP calling and it's no longer a dork plan.

I just started this week and so far Hangouts has only used about 3mb of data (including texts/chats) for 10 or so phone calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I went to the mall in Topeka and told the employee there at their T-Mobile store that we don't get service here. She checked on the computer and showed me that we should but I wasn't the first to say this.

Walmart's website for the dork plan swears up and down that Topeka zip codes are not valid, but I ordered a SIM anyway and it works just fine.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

For me it's both better coverage and them offering service. I still get "please enter a valid US Zip Code" :v:

Where are you trying to enter your zip code?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Upon adding a SIM to the cart. It drops down a box asking me to enter a valid US zip.

You could order a SIM card from Amazon or somewhere that is not t-mobile.com! They have all the sim starter kits you could ever want.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

I did that a while back, it's preventing me from activating when I put my zip in, it's like "oh, so you're from [3 hours from me in perfect driving conditions]?" and I can't port my number.

A new number would be too much of a problem and I've used GV for years.

Can you use literally any other zip code or would that not work either?

Also if you've used GV for years a new number should be no problem, right? It would just be a matter of changing the forwarding phone on the GV website.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Except their coverage map places my home in "excellent" even when zoomed in, it doesn't even drop below "good" until out in the filth-ridden suburbs. The city has good coverage and when my father visits he doesn't even drop below HSPA. It's bizarre that it's considered a nonexistent market despite having demonstrably strong coverage. I'd have to drive an hour out of my way to find 2G, let along roaming or dead air.

It honestly looks like a system error on tmobile's end. Have you talked to anyone at tmobile?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have (he and I live in the same city) and they've stated they do not support Omaha, NE.

However, you CAN find T-Mobile calling cards and poo poo to set up prepaid at Walmart in Elkhorn which is still Omaha.

Wow, that is bizarre.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Oh I tweet him all the time. No response usually, but the help desk responded once to tell me to keep an eye on their 700mhz rollout (I think - what they linked was the PR on the lowband plans)

From a cursory Google search there is not a single corporate tmobile store in the entire state of Nebraska. It's like a black hole. Maybe they know something... maybe you should listen to what they're trying to tell you...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

unfortunately that's a feature of cricket, bill collector calls and jilted lovers at all hours.

Isn't this a feature of any prepaid carrier? Or really any carrier ever. They just recycle the numbers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boogalo posted:

I'm an idiot and finally remembered to check their coverage areas. They don't have service in my area :smith:

It looks like my best bet for GSM with LTE here is Net10 or ATT. I'm not sure it's worth fighting net10 customer service to save $15/mo on a 3GB plan. I've read the horror stories about trying to get things fixed, but my old roommate never had a problem with them. For being a popular college town, Charlottesville has crap for service. Sprint still doesn't have 4g here and that's why I'm switching from Ntelos.

Cricket is owned by ATT and uses the same network. If you have ATT you will have Cricket.

edit: In fact Cricket's coverage map shows widespread LTE coverage in your area.

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 21, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

laxbro posted:

How often does cricket restock on the moto G? Want to pull the trigger on it, but don't want to settle for any of the other budget phones they're selling.

Also considering the t-mobile nerd plan, but don't really want to shell out too much money for a smart phone.

Consider the new Moto E:

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-e-2nd-gen/moto-e-2nd-gen.html

Better than the first-gen Moto G that Cricket sells in every way. The only thing it lacks is an LED for the camera flash.

LTE model is $150, otherwise it's $120.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hotsauce posted:

I'm all for putting money where its earned but in my case TMo just isn't realistic. I go to Montana ~5 weeks/year. Not one tower there. Also just last week I drove from SLC to Boise. EDGE 85% of the way and data just didn't work most if the time. I have 3 days on my $30 plan tryout (again).

My AT&T plan had full blast LTE on the drive 98% of the time. Similar in Montana of all places.

I like Legere, really I do but in the desert West US, TMo is laughably horrid.

They just don't have the spectrum (yet) to cover the area that AT&T does. Their 700mhz portfolio will definitely help but they need a strong showing in the 600mhz auction next year in order to really gain ground.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Geoj posted:

What's the consensus on Harbor mobile if you aren't legitimately running a business? Do they give any fucks or will I have to make up a company name, etc.?

I'm a current Harbor mobile customer. They give zero fucks. If they press the issue in the chat just make some poo poo up and they will give you the invitation code.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

IuniusBrutus posted:

Couple questions:

Now that hangouts and google voice play nicely for calls, I'm tempted to switch back to the nerd plan and save 30 bucks a month. Two questions though:

1.) Does the nerd plan get T-Mobile's "Music Freedom" perks? Or is that only postpaid?

2.) How reliable is hangouts for calls? Anyone having issues using hangouts+GV and getting dropped/missed calls or texts?

1. Yes it gets music freedom.
2. In my experience as long as you have at least 3G coverage when you're trying to place a call you'll be fine; good luck getting calls to connect otherwise. This is one reason I moved off the nerd plan.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

eddiewalker posted:

Is there such a thing as an ATT-network sim with a minimal maintenance cost that I can pop in $-per-mb rural data when T-Mobile doesn't cut it?

I'm assuming that's not a thing that's available, but I'm way too into Ingress and T-Mobile prepaid with no data roaming is becoming a liability.

Cricket wireless runs on AT&T towers. They have a $35 plan if you do autopay. Plus there are goons in this thread who would love to give you a referral code.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

You don't have to root the Moto G because it works like it should out of the box; get the Moto G.

Fixed that for you.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

You don't know what you are missing.

I know exactly what I'm missing. I used to root my phones until I got a Moto X. Now I don't need to.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

Brained washed google zombie fanboys.

Drunk posting is a bannable offense.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Geoj posted:

If you're on Harbor Mobile for the love of god don't let your payment lapse.

My debit card got compromised and the bank canceled it but I forgot about it until my service got turned off today. Logged in and updated my billing information and gave them my new card number. It took three hours for my account to be un-suspended and I've been having service hiccups ever since - including having to turn my phone off and removing the battery & sim for over an hour before it would find the network again after service had been restored.

Downside to being on a reseller I guess - according to customer service they only send T-Mobile batches of SIM/IMEIs once every 2-3 hours for activation/deactivation.

Yeah I just got a new debit card and Harbor Mobile was the first thing I updated. Guess I did the right thing!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

Of course, you're still on T-Mobile's network.

No I'm not.

I just switched to Cricket. All of the referrals may now commence (I already used a goon's from this thread! The lucky winner will know soon enough).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rooster Brooster posted:

The only flaw in your plan I can think of is MMS can act funky without a data connection, if you send/receive a lot of MMS messages.

MMS straight up will not work without a data connection.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revdrkevind posted:

Loophole on some carriers: MMS can work on 2g if you can toggle that on, and a lot of places will give you unlimited* 2g.

Thankfully newer phone OSs locked out that feature. I assume just because.

Android 5.1 lets you select your network preference. And don't those places give you unlimited data at 2G speeds? i.e. you'd stay connected to the LTE network; you'd just get throttled to 2G speed after you hit your "high speed" data cap.

edit: Either way it wouldn't work on that pay-as-you-go plan since ANY data access at all will incur a charge.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revdrkevind posted:

Huh. Looks like I'm on 5.0. Shrug.

Maybe you're not looking for it in the right place? Settings> Wireless & Networks> More... > Cellular networks > Preferred network type

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revdrkevind posted:

Totally different menus on my device, although maybe that's Samsung? Only options on my phone are Global, LTE/CDMA, etc.

Yeah that's Samsung. Sorry :shobon:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Loucks posted:

Just want to mention that I left Sprint for Cricket because despite having decent LTE reception outside my building Sprint's signal wouldn't penetrate inside and as a result I had zero service without standing next to an exterior window.

Maybe my office building is a near Faraday cage internally or something, but Sprint is definitely shittier at penetration than AT&T.

Your phone may not support Sprint's 800mhz spectrum (or it may not be live in your area) which is better at penetrating buildings. Sprint's LTE is primarily in the 1900mhz range and 2500-2600mhz range.

I had the same problem on T-Mobile and recently switched to cricket myself. T-Mobile doesn't even have low band (700mhz) spectrum in most markets because of TV channel 51 restrictions.

nimper fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 24, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh, I thought Cricket had the same deal too. Oops.

Cricket has a streaming service called Deezer; they give you one month free and then it's $6/month after that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

The description on that makes it seem like it still would need to be provisioned on or registered with Cricket, which they may not be cool with. Not sure why, though, if it's just a repeater.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/faq.html

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Volkerball posted:

yesssss. thank you. i've taken 240 pictures on my phone and 1 of them on purpose.

What are you doing with your phone? With my Moto X you have to be pretty deliberate to launch the camera.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Volkerball posted:

I work outside, so I'm usually in gym shorts. Just walking in those can trigger it.

Ah, yeah, that would do it. I guess that's why runners and other active folks wear arm bands or whatever.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Massasoit posted:

Any of you have a recommendation for a ruggedized phone (basic phone) a LA Rugby 3/4 that would work on cricket?

A Rugby 3/4 will work on Cricket

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Massasoit posted:

Yea, I was just seeing if there were any other options out there.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sonim-XP5_id9493#tH4CbwS4QIHUx2Wh.97

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

About to just go ahead and pay off my G3 from AT&T NEXT so I can have them switch me to Go Phone's unlimited (1.5GB LTE) plan @ $45.

Is there a better GSM prepaid plan than this? The OP's pretty out of date and I see T-Mo's plans are about the same and would require me to try and get my rooted phone unlocked by ATT which I'm not too sure about.

At the $45 level you would want either Cricket or Straight Talk's 5GB LTE plan.

$35 on Cricket gets you 2.5GB of LTE.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

Wow this is pretty amazing. Looks like it'll be Cricket, thanks!

I did notice they cap the LTE speed at 8Mbps which is slightly irritating since I live in an area with 25Mb+ on most of the towers. But the savings is well worth it.

Yeah I have Cricket now and the 8mbit cap doesn't bother me a bit.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Massasoit posted:

I've gone past my 2.5gb data limit on cricket and it is still fast enough to browse SA get emails and do most web pages.

Two different speed caps in play here:

There's an 8mbit speed cap for when you're under your 2.5GB limit and then there's a 128kbit cap once you go over.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tacosupreme posted:

cricket referral please!

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/5Vee30p

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

According to the website it'll only get 3g with em. It gets 4g lte on T-Mobile but I figured what the hell, it's been a while since I've upgraded my cell.

Cricket's website lies about phone support. If it works on T-Mobile chances are very good it'll work on Cricket.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Cricket trip report:

I had a hassle-free online experience with ordering a sim card and porting my phone number.

Also consider that their monthly charge includes all taxes so you actually pay $45 and not $48.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Okay, great, you've told me why prepaid isn't bad. You didn't explain why you'd want to switch though.

Cost.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yes, and I would like to pay less if there was an option. It was really just a statement of "man I wish I could do this but $33 is hard to beat" and possible hopes someone said "hey bro, here's a great option you might not have heard of!" ..

So, no need to discuss it further .. $33 seems to be better than I will get anywhere else.

Yeah I suppose $33/person for 7 people on a postpaid shared plan is not a bad deal at all.

Cricket's "group save" comes close at $30/person for 5 people with 5gb each, but like Vykk.Drago said you lose the benefits of postpaid to save $3/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The 15GB double data plan (so 30GB) was a good deal on AT&T

I was wondering how you got 30GB for so cheap. It would work out to $47 per person otherwise, not counting device payments or any employer discounts.