Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chalets the Baka posted:

Are these phones still untraceable? E.g. can they be tracked via GPS? If I were to toss the phone into a creek or something, would it still be able to be tracked or is there a chip on it of some kind I should be gouging out if I don't want anyone to find it?

No phones are untraceable. If you chuck it into a creek, it will be hosed no matter what, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

So apparently unlocking phones is legal now. Does that mean the distinction between, say, AT&T/T-Mobile/Unlocked iPhones that you'll see on swappa or cl is now meaningless?
It just means it's already done and AT&T can't stop you from doing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The difference is that Motorola seems to actually be making an effort to support their budget phones while with Samsung, I wouldn't really bet on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't use hangouts for group messages

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 2013 CDMA Moto G doesn't have LTE, so it's effectively useless as a smartphone on Sprint.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hitachi posted:

I currently have 2 lines with Verizon and am looking to cut down on my bill. Top choice at the moment is the Cricket 5GB plan. I kind of want the ability to hotspot, not sure if that makes Cricket worse than one of the alternatives. My wife has an iPhone 5S which I think I can just make sure gets unlocked and then switch no problem, but I have a Droid Maxx so I would need to get a new phone. I am probably going to get a Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P eventually but in the meantime I was looking at the low end phones Cricket is offering for free after rebate.

Are there other carriers I should be considering? Is something like the Moto E worth getting for a month or two while I figure out what other phone I want?
Both of your phones should be GSM and LTE unlocked already. The iPhone shouldn't take more than a SIM swap since to work. It looks like the Droid is lacking one of the AT&T LTE frequencies, though. It'll still get 3G and some LTE, which might be good enough, depending on area.

Cricket only allows using hotspots on certain phones, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's possible. AT&T (and any provider with prepaid plans) gives preference to post-paid customers.