Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have an Asus Zenfone 2 and can't seem to get hooked up with cricket. When I do the network scan in settings, it only shows T-Mobile and AT&T 2/3/4G networks. I went to the cricket store to use their test sim and no dice. I assumed any unlocked phone would work. I have been using it on t Mobile for a while now. Is there a setting or something I need to change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Well hot drat. I'll go back to the cricket store and try again!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

I have an Asus Zenfone 2 and can't seem to get hooked up with cricket. When I do the network scan in settings, it only shows T-Mobile and AT&T 2/3/4G networks. I went to the cricket store to use their test sim and no dice. I assumed any unlocked phone would work. I have been using it on t Mobile for a while now. Is there a setting or something I need to change?

Going back to the Cricket store a second time did me no good, couldn't get their demo SIM to work. However when I got a Cricket phone I popped that SIM card into my ZenFone 2 and it worked fine immediately. No settings trickery needed.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you have an unlocked device with hotspot capability, you can set up a hotspot using a cricket sim without paying the $10/month. I have done this on an Asus Zenfone 2 multiple times with zero issues.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have 2 lines at 10G/mo each with a 20G data pool per line on T-Mobile and it's a hair under $120/mo. Even streaming youtube on the bus every day I never ran out, and speedtest.net gives me double or triple the speed of Cricket depending on location. If you're going to pay top dollar, get top dollar speeds.

Conversely, Cricket gets infinity times the speed of T-Mobile when I visit my folks out in the sticks.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The 2nd Gen Moto X is $200 and is a steal compared to the Moto G. https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Since it's unlocked and pre-6.0, it may be able to tether on Cricket too.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So Motorola is selling 2nd-gen Moto X's for $200 and my mom got one for her birthday. Unfortunately, she can't get Cricket support on the phone to set it up with a new nano-sim because the whole nation was calling in for statement credits because of last week's outage.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Conceivably yes, but Mom is new to smartphones in general, and has never even paid a bill online before Cricket. It not even a huge deal because she still primarily uses the landline.

She does love Cricket support when she can get through. They've always been super helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

ThermoPhysical posted:

Carrier: AT&T (GSM)
Tethering: Yes (only if you use a Cricket-branded device)
Throttling: Yes (4MBps for HSPA+, 8MBps for LTE, and 256KBps after your data bucket is used up)
Wi-Fi Calling: No

As I recall, I couldn't tether on my Cricket branded device unless I paid $10/month extra.

I swapped my Cricket SIM into an unlocked phone and I could tether fine.

YMMV