Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I was getting fed up with Verizon in my city so I switched to Target's Brightspot (T-Mobile). Their $35 includes 300 minutes, 3gb, and unlimited texts. Seems like a good bump from the Dork Plan. 100 minutes was doable for me but that extra cushion at the expense of 2gb less seemed worth it to me. The port took all of 10 minutes to do as well, the staff in store were a huge help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

The website claims it's "up to 3G at 4G speeds". I'm assuming it's 3GB at LTE and then the rest is throttled down. Otherwise, you're just getting 3GB of data and it's not "Unlimited". Or maybe Target's doing like TracFone is doing...
I'm currently using a Verizon unlocked phone on there but I believe it does include LTE. I do get at least HSPA+.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Oh snap, didn't realize Harbor Mobile is capable of the whole #musicfreedom thing T-Mobile has going on. Their plans are basically $20 cheaper than T-Mobile's. Have we found out exactly what you need to be a business? Just a non-public email address?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've asked em about it, and the streaming stuff is apparently available on the dork plan.

It's also through the resellers through tmobile as well, or at least from harbor mobile.

I got really excited about this but it went against my limit for listening to Spotify for a half hour. I'm just a bit skeptical. HowardForums (unsurprisingly) doesn't have the full info on it either.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

So I'm thinking about taking advantage of the T-Mobile dork plan with a Moto G LTE, but poking around on the site it's not listed as one of their supported phones. Forum posts seem to suggest it's possible, though. Can I use a Moto G with this plan, or am I going to have to get the Moto X instead?

You'll be fine, you can use it with any plan on T-Mobile or AT&T.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What is this word "talk"?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Moto G LTE is $179 at Best Buy if you can swing into stores. Regularly $219

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-cell-phone-unlocked-black/7386012.p?id=1219267043924&skuId=7386012&st=moto%20g&cp=1&lp=1

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, gently caress.

Eh, comparing the 2 they seem pretty much identical except for small stuff like bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.0 and the samsung being able to use a 64gb card and the Moto being able to use a 32gb one.

Moto has a better screen though, simply because of pixel density, and dammit that makes me kinda sad.

I'll learn to live with it though. That's a hell of a deal on the phone. Kinda wish I'd have known about it before I pulled the trigger on the one I have coming in.

I was thinking of returning my Moto E for the that Galaxy but yeah this looks like a slightly sweeter deal. I'm glad Samsung is finally playing the competitive cheap game in America though, it'll fun to see how this cheap war turns out by the end of the year.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any goons in a Cricket family plan? That new data offer has me more on the fence on sticking with them rather than jumping to AT&T to get that shiny new iphone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is Cricket down for anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently when I upped my plan yesterday, I paid my prorated amount to jump up but now I apparently owe $23 more that wasn't listed on my account yesterday, so they suspended it. Silly that they didn't even leave a text saying so.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 16, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm really liking the 10gb too, keeps me from having to worry about jumping on wifi. One thing I'm not liking about Cricket is the latency on my iPhone 5. If I've got 2 bars or less it takes FOREVER to get iheartradio or Spotify going if at all. I'm wondering if this is an iPhone thing though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not really digging the iPhone so I'm thinking of going back to Android on Cricket. Looking at some unlocked phones, how bad is HSPA+ 4mbps on Cricket? I like to use Spotify and iheartradio often and am worried that it may cause buffer issues.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Not bad at all, you won't have any issues. The high speed on Cricket is fantastic with no latency. The throttled speed is quite slow, with a good chunk of latency but is still usable and am able to use Pandora on it just fine knowing the limitations so I'm not skipping tracks a lot.

Let me know if you need a referral! PM your First/Last and email address.

Cool, good to know. I've had Cricket for a couple months now but thank you for the offer! I was just worried since there are times when I've got low signal on LTE with my iPhone 5 that Spotify tends to buffer when it shouldn't, but I think this phone just has a bad antenna or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Do any of you goons have other randoms on your Cricket plans? I'm looking to fill two spots and none of my friends want to save money and have more data, I noticed on reddit's r/nocontract people doing this but I guess I'm not sure how to do it reliably without getting burned on either end.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I'm doing this. I don't think there's too much risk, the only thing is that there's only one person with an account that can login to see things, that's kind of a pain.

So basically I'd have the other person's phone number held hostage unless they pay? I'm assuming you just accept paypal or google wallet?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

So I decided I'm going to make the jump to Cricket, anyone want to provide me with a referral?

I don't have PM, so I'll have to go through email.

Yeah, hit me up at my user name @gmail.com

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ErikTheRed posted:

So I'm looking to switch onto Cricket next week, as I have a new Moto X coming on the 30th. Is there a way to get the activation kit ahead of time? I couldn't find a way to order it without having to enter an IMEI. I know I'm just being impatient but I'm dying to get off of this GS3.

Also, I'll take a referral.

A question on this too: eventually we'll be adding two more lines, can a referral be applied to each of those as well?

Not sure about the IMEI but the referral only applies to the account and original line, not the lines that gets added. You'd have to have them be entirely separate accounts.

Edit: Referral sent!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 24, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Even more impressive, I didn't have any outages during a time where tons of AT&T customers in my area were complaining about outages.

:iiam:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's all over for me. It was fine this morning but has gone back to poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This may be because I just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5 and have yet to fiddle with everything buttttt, is Cricket super slow for anyone else today?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Same, looks like it's getting about 200kbps, which is a loving disgrace. Well maybe not if you're Louie CK but aside from that it's a loving disgrace. It seems like they're trying to make this bullshit the new normal.

Yeah its been absolutely poo poo for me all week. Kinda disappointed as I just moved everyone onto my account but even non techies have been wondering why Spotify is spotty.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah this is getting ridiculous. HSPA was working much better for speeds and ping but now it's crapped out pretty good. Getting really frustrated with Cricket but the discount that they give for multiple lines is great.

Maybe someone else can help me out, I've got two friends with me paying $25 for their 1gb plan, as they were on the same priced GoPhone plan with few minutes and no data. Is there anywhere that I could get a similar deal? I don't really care about the price for myself but I'd still like to help out my two friends.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is GoPhones coverage more or less identical to ATT? I am finding TMobiles coverage to be a problem since my new job takes me out of the local metro area sometimes, and I want to test the coverage before I resort to Verizon.

It is exactly like AT&T, even the same speeds!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha of course the day I was going to go switch fromCricket it finally starts working.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv Well for the last month I haven't been able to use Spotify or watch youtube much at all. I've been running speed tests every few days and it seriously hasn't gotten over 3 Mbps on LTE since all this crap has started. I'm still tempted to switch to Family Mobile but I guess we'll put that on the back burner for now.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 6, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
AFAIK, you can only have one carrier on one sim card. As awesome as it would be, I don't believe it works. BUT, I'm wondering if they could tie two sim cards onto one number with the different spectrums.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It came from Howard Forums!

Edit: Should put some context. People dickwaving (myself included) about how many phones they've owned and this guy says he just opened up his 6th active line of service with a new provider. When I called him out, this was his response.

quote:

I don't really need them, some are Gold Rewards that have a year on them with a $10 top up. One is Lycamobile which I just got to play around with because it was dirt cheap but I ended up really really liking.
My PTel is soon going to run out and I'm not going to renew it. I have that one because my Mentor sent me a PTel phone which came with a $40 airtime PIN which on their Real PayGo plan lasts 5 months. I liked them so much I kept them for another 4 months but since the balance is low now and the expiration date is 24 December I'm letting it go.
I got two of the T-Mobile eBay SIM cards that were Gold Rewards but I held out a long time before the temptation was too great especially after it dawned on me that the per minute rate was 3¢ a minute. Lycamobile was going to raise their per minute rate to 5¢ a minute so I was and still am going to let that one go when my balance runs out. I have $1.60 on that one.
My original two T-Mobile accounts are on a fantastic old Grandfathered plan that would be impossible to get anything like it again. My first T-Mobile account I've had for several years and luckily somehow it was leaked that T-Mobile was changing their plans and if your account was on the ones I have Grandfathered in you were able to keep it. Those two accounts are "From my cold dead hands" to me. I have two of them because at one time T-Mobile used to give you airtime cards when you would buy phones from their website and the phones used to be very inexpensive. Like $19.99 for a phone and a free $25 card. I had gotten 4 phones and 4 cards, since my original account was already Gold Rewards which just needed a $10 top up once a year I had T-Mobile stack my 4 ~ $25 cards so I ended up with another Gold Rewards account.
I've tried Boost and ended up using them for a few years. But they jacked their PayGo rates and Lycamobile showed up with their 2¢ a minute rates so I gave them a try. Started that one early May 2013 but will be letting them go since I have two of the eBay T-Mobile accounts.
I also requested a free ROK Mobile SIM card to try for their free 7 day test drive.
And I bought one of the Straight Talk Moto E's on Cyber Monday for $9.99 and I have a code for the $45 plan so I will use that for 30 and let that die when the balance runs out.

I get different plans to play around with. Some of them I really like and some I try then let die if I end up not liking them.
I tried Black Wireless when they had an offer to use them for 30 days free.
I should add that I am very cheap as far as cell phone service goes. The way I use phones would never merit me using a monthly plan.

On HoFo I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who tries out different prepaid carriers like this.

In other threads over the time I've been here people have jokingly brought up cell phone addiction and 12 step programs.

I'm not unique here as I know one person on this thread has over 30 active lines.

It's a hobby for a lot of us.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 18, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Will I run into issues because he's already a T-Mobile customer, not a new activation? He wants to keep his existing number.

It is for new activations only. He would have to port his number out and then back in to utilize it. However, Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile reseller who has unlimited talk & text and 2.5gb of data for $30/month.

Edit: Looks like Harbor doesn't allow T-Mobile port-ins. You're pretty much out of luck unless you want to deal with porting to a different provider or Google Voice.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

I don't remember Google ever offer competitive price in hardware.

Wait what do you mean because the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced well below their competition.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

It's just ok. Plus only cheap phones don't offer SD slot and replaceable battery. Plus you have to pay tax and shipping no matter what. So after said and done its not cheaper than less popular (LG/HTC) older flagship phones.

Edit: And I am not impressed by the screen google use. Basically its top tier SOC with 2nd tier everything else.

Let's not start this stupid sd/battery argument again. For many people, it is definitely cheaper as they're not held under contract or tied to a subsidy.

Fun fact: the Nexus 4 is just a stripped down LG Optimus G and the Nexus 5 is stripped down LG G2.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got the 10gb plan already and don't even use close to that but this is awesome, although honestly I wish they'd up the speed instead. The other folks on my plan will be happy however getting an 2.5gb for $25 a month.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I see Cricket has a $100/month plan for 5 lines with 2.5gb data each. Are there any catches that I should be aware of? If you are already on a Cricket individual line are you able to merge accounts together to get a group? I can easily come up with 4 people so this is very promising unless there's a detail that I'm missing.

I got in on a plan with a redditor last month and all I had to do was call in and get his account number and ask to move it over to mine. 5 minute phone call. Cricket is amazing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Any other differences from an individual plan that I should be aware of? I do currently tether from my line, is that something that is actively prevented on a group one? Not that I expect there to be a difference but looking to root out anything that I may care about.

Technically you're not allowed to tether at all but I haven't heard of anyone really been cut off or terminated. The only other difference would be losing out on autopay but gaining the group discounts as long as everyone is on the $40-$60 plans.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Right, technically I cannot but I didn't know if there was any different enforcement on the group plans. I haven't had any issues for nearly a year now with mild daily use.

What do you mean on losing out on autopay? That one person will have it and everyone else has to pay them? Or are you only talking about the autopay discount, which seems irrelevant when you're averaging $20/line.

If you've got only one line on the account, you get a $5 discount for doing autopay. If you add even one more person, you can not qualify yourself for autopay anymore but instead get a group discount ONLY if they use the Basic, Smart, or Pro plans. So if you had two people on the account and they both had for instance the new Advanced plans or just the Talk & Text, you wouldn't be able to get the group discount OR autopay. This is probably an edge case, but for simplicity's sake I could see people doing it if they just gave their kids dumb phones or didn't want internet.

The one cool thing about Cricket though is that you can have anyone on your account log into the site and pay a portion (or all) of the bill. So with the random reddit guy I have on mine, he just pays his portion each month on his own and I see it reflected on my account summary and get a nice text message. Logging in doesn't give them any ability outside of paying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Oh, that is a fantastic feature. It's as if they're designing this for this exact purpose. Smart on them. Everyone I'd be including would be on the 2.5GB plans so I think I'm all set. To clarify, I would lose the autopay discount or the ability to have my monthly payment automatically paid completely?

Just the discount, payment can still be automatic each month. People can also switch data plans at any time in the month and it will prorate you depending on how far into the cycle you are.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 3, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you're ok with her getting a cricket number and being hounded by collections agencies and scorned lovers.

This can happen with any carrier. I've had it happen with Sprint, Google Voice, Straight Talk, and most recently Verizon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Verizon Droid Maxx doesn't make any fuss making my phone a mobile hotspot on Cricket. It's pretty slick.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When you activate your new sim card from Cricket after you receive it is when the magic happens. Your number moves over and that will automatically cancel Sprint

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
As much as I like Cricket, I'm hoping T-Mobile starts focusing on their coverage this next year. They've really blown the game out of the water.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

That's pretty encouraging, I'm surprised I haven't seen that before. It's pretty widely available in my area but outside of it is a stretch. I think if it weren't for Cricket's group discounts I'd jump over to Harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone on Cricket getting super slow speeds? I'm only hitting .61Mbps down and .80Mbps up. Been like this for a day or two.