Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Mint users: How are you liking your service? I have a $55/mo Unlimited Max plan through Cricket Wireless which was great when I used to stream 20GB of video a month on my phone, but for all of 2020 it's been less than 5GB/mo. Just looking to save some money (and give the T-Mobile network a try).

Are data speeds acceptable? Cricket maxed out at 8mbps so if it's around there I'm fine.

Your best bet would be to get a $1 starter kit from Amazon and do a bunch of speed tests with the trial SIM to get a feel for the speeds in your area at various times:
https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Mobile-Starter-Verify-Compatibility/dp/B0786RD524/

Speedtest.net, at least, seemed to be whitelisted and not count towards the 100MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

At that point, why not just use/get a switch? :psyduck:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tracfone is eventually only going to support the Verizon network, so you might want to keep that in mind when selecting a new phone. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still selling off old stock that's set up to use one of the other networks that Tracfone will only support for a limited time (probably still a couple of years, but you don't want to go through this again so soon, right?).

e: Depending on how the previous phone was acquired/set up, it might be possible that she would also (in addition to the new phone) need a new SIM card. If so, you can get the one for smartphone plans on their official ebay store for $1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283230124002
Assuming Verizon coverage is good where she lives, she'll want to use the Verizon SIM.

Disclaimer: If your aunt uses the basic phone plans and not the smartphone plans, I don't know if those SIMs work with the basic plans.

e2: Depending on what you're looking for, and as an alternative, HSN, QVC, etc. often sell phone/airtime bundles at reasonable rates to the point where the cheaper phones are basically free with the airtime:
https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone/10962

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I've used it for a year now for my wife and I and it's been great.

However last night we had power outages from storms and both of us had trouble getting any cell data. It would come and go so I don't think cell towers were off... just likely slammed and I'm guessing US Mobile doesn't get any sort of priority.

Also of note - they do NOT support plans for watches at the moment! So if that's a dealbreaker for you, there ya go.

Are you using a 5G device on their Verizon network to get priority data?