Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like Cricket's promo data caps are the new normal? The page sure doesn't say anything about them being limited anymore: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think you're thinking of Ting, which requires a Sprint device. (though there may be another one I'm not aware of)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That $25 Moto G does seem like a great backup phone. If I order it with an additional line, can I just take the SIM card out when it gets here, and use it in an iPhone 4S? I've been meaning to switch the wife over to Cricket, and that works out to $15 more than just ordering the SIM card kit.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

He said he doesn't care about LTE, in which case he can save $30 getting the 3G version.

Not caring about LTE seems like crazytown to me, but to each his own, I guess.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

IuniusBrutus posted:

How reliable is Cricket's service these days? Last time I was looking at switching it seemed like they were having issues with service outages.

There was a brief period with some hiccups but it's been solid ever since then.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleJesus posted:

Has anyone changed phones on Cricket that required a different size SIM card? I currently have a Nexus 5 that has a Micro SIM but I'm going to be upgrading to the new Moto X, with a Nano SIM. Do I just order one from the website or do I have to go into the store? And if so, are they going to charge me an activation fee?

I went to one of the many little broken phone screen repair type places and asked if they had a SIM card cutter I could use, and they just clipped it for me. I guess you could also order one, but when are you ever going to need it again?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that seems like a drat good deal. How hard was it to be a "business" before?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The Wirecutter took a look at prepaid cell service and came up liking Consumer Cellular, which I hadn't previously heard of. Anyone tried it?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone actually gotten an invite to the new Harbor Mobile?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

poppingseagull posted:

Just got a carrier update on cricket and now see an option for hotspot in iOS. Directs you to the website that offers it for $10/month per line. Maybe this is old news, but I wasn't aware of it until now. Cool that it's there but at that price it isn't worth it for me.

Looks like it's also not allowed on the $40/2.5GB plan. You have to jump up to $50, in addition to paying another $10.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

poppingseagull posted:

Just got a carrier update on cricket and now see an option for hotspot in iOS. Directs you to the website that offers it for $10/month per line. Maybe this is old news, but I wasn't aware of it until now. Cool that it's there but at that price it isn't worth it for me.

I don't get the option and Cricket chat support claims they don't support this feature on non-Cricket devices. Were you actually able to purchase it?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've found a phone repair places usually have a tool to cut a SIM cards down to smaller sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
iOS apps aren't allowed to gently caress with your wifi.