Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did we go to the moon?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
loving right we did.

also, this is cool too
http://www.asteroidzoo.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

CommonTerry posted:

You can create artificial gravity fairly easy by causing the spacecraft to spin, but I'm guessing they aren't going to send a craft there that does that.

how fast would it have to spin to create gravity

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

9 metters per second

round and round?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
also you forgot to ^2 it

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i want a real answer as to how fast it would have to rotate create artificial gravity "rather easily" i don't think it's easy i dunno tho

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

the smaller the craft, the faster it has to spin. the math is pretty simple, v^2/r =9.8 (earth's gravity) and find your required angular velocity with a = v/r then just plug in. At with a 100 meter craft shaped like a cylinder you'd need to spin at 31 m/s consistently through the craft which means you're doing roughly 3 rpm. the trick in the near future will probably be to do something like simulate 60% of Earth's gravity, not as demanding and you don't suffer like you're in 0g the entire time. probably not going to have lumpy ships though, simulating gravity requires having most of your mass in the center or else things get wobbly.

Until we can math out the wobble problem, I think it wont work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

that's not the half of it. any wobbling will gently caress with sensitive equipment so that equipment will need some shock absorption which will also increase the mass. what you make the ship out of is important too. some materials will need a bigger area than others to work with or else wobbling can eventually tear the craft apart via tension. basically space is awful and terrible and hosed up and we shouldn't ever try to leave earth because the universe and laws of physics want every living thing dead

still, there's some proposed stuff and it's not too difficult to test with how advanced simulators are now.

what about astral travel, has that been simulated

• Locked thread