Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Okay fine, I'll play.

First would be a Local Motors Rallyfighter

I think it technically fits within the rules. They count as kit cars, and I would have to fly out to the Local Motors workshop to assemble it myself. Still, I think they're awesome. My friend would make fun of me because it has Miata door handles.

Second is a weird choice, but it makes me happy.

YJ Wrangler -- ideally a six cylinder example from before the "family" roll bar came out. I know YJ Wranglers are cheap. I could afford to have one for every day of the week. Wranglers just make me happy. The CJ-7 is way too hard-nosed, and the TJ takes itself too seriously. The YJ Wrangler is just a happy puppy that loves to go.

Finally, another kit car.

Factory Five Mk4 replica. I want at least two of these, because I'm crazy. Into the first, I'll stuff an LSx engine just to piss off the Ford purists, but the second I'd like to make into a lightweight, all wheel drive rally car. How? I don't know -- I could *probably* stuff a Subaru boxer power plant under the hood and just hack a WRX drivetrain until it works. That's the fun of having money! I can experiment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Daily driver:
2001-2002 Subaru Forester

Assuming I can spend my money to modify my SF5-era Forester I am good to go. JDM STi aero and a 2014 USDM STi drivetrain swap. Let's go!

Utility:
Ford Super Duty F-450 Platinum

If I could pull the stock Powerstroke and replace it with a Cummins then that's even better. I would prefer white with NOT FOR HIRE stickers on the back, but I'd take anything other than disgusting forest green paint and tan interior. An inclosed trailer come with this deal, by the way!

Why I need a trailer:
Cadillac CTS-V

All my extra money goes to making this a Formula D competitive car. Custom made Rocket Bunny aero if there's any cash left after filling the F-450's tank with diesel.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The democracy of AI sure has a German slant

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The obligatory supercar:

The classic:

The ridiculous:

Honorable mentions:

I'd buy Peugeot, then force them to make a limited production run of 1. There, it's no longer a concept car. :colbert:

Who says I don't care about the environment? It's a hybrid!

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
For a daily I'd go with a 1959 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop Riviera

For an off road adventure-mobile I'd go with a U404 radio truck with an OM617 swapped into it

For a tow rig I'd take the body off my 80 el Camino and squeeze Duramax and 3500 chassis under there.

Honorable mention:
A massive yacht with a helipad for my Hughes 600N

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010
Daily driver:

Weekend cruiser:

Track car:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BMW E90 M3 sedan

BMW i3 w/range extender

BMW X5 xDrive35d

A bit of a thought experiment to try to fit in to one manufacturer as well. The M3 sedan is face melting and more in a size range I like vs. the M5, and I'd go with the previous generation because the extra speed of the new one doesn't make up for the glorious sound of the V8. i3 is because I live in the city and something tiny & electric would be a godsend here, and I think they're cool in a wacky way. Diesel X5 would be for road trips, camping, ski trips, hauling, etc.

Oh, I'd also like the upcoming S1000F motorcycle, please.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1997 Acura NSX-T, in black, of course

1964 Aston Martin DB5, in silver, of course

1934 BMW R7, in black and silver, of course

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Family hauler

Toy hauler

Butt hauler

I feel they would cover the bases well with a 3 car limit.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
First off, a Lotus Carlton, purely because I love badass 90s tech, and I'd have enough cash to pay for poo poo when it invariably goes wrong.

Second up, a Mk IV Supra, similar to the Carlton, I've always wanted one of these, and will only be able to afford a clean on in the next few years. Prices are only going up..

Thirdly, a 1956 Chevrolet Corvette. No, it isn't powerful by any means, but look at those braces. I've always doted on these, and have probably only seen one in real life.

Honourable mention: E34 M5. Having owned one E34 before, it is, along with the E60, my favourite BMW. This would fill the same space as the Carlton when it's died due to electrical gremlins.

Also some kind of TVR. Although I'd probably need all three to be my choices, as they'd perpetually be off the road. :negative:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
First up, the daily ride. I'm a lottery winner so I'd have a driver:

I'd probably drop a little extra coin on an armored unit because people can't drive for poo poo and I want protection and ballast weight in case I get rear-ended.

R8 V10. For taking the lady out to nice dinners:

Ariel Atom V8. For actual fun driving:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

1934 BMW R7, in black and silver, of course

1934? This looks like it's from the future.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drat right it does. Why do you think I want one? :circlefap:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: Only the best of the Big 3: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:patriot: :patriot: blk :patriot: :patriot:

86 aries (dd)
78 camaro (on blocks, will finish soon)
86 voyager (wife's car)

"these colors don't run"
-jesus christ

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bugeye wagon. I love the look so much, I can't stand it. As a bonus, fast and practical

And the real beauty, a Porsche 914 with an EJ25 swap. I could live with a 70's Mercedes SL or really any 70's and 80's sports cars, but something about that super low profile on the 914 and the tagra top just does it for me. Shame the stock engine blows goats

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

That can be remedied!!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Number one:
Tesla Model S (p85+ duh) I test drove one of these and.. well, poo poo. :stwoon:

Backup:
1970 Mach 1 Twister Special.

Backups Backup:
GNX

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 9, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

dubzee posted:

That can be remedied!!

I was going for Boxer Pride with my subaru engine swap, but drat, I didn't know you could get anything that large in there

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

They they sell kits for the subie swaps too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

dubzee posted:

:heysexy:

All I need now is $4,500 and a 914

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

dubzee posted:

There's a local guy who has a LS1 powered 944, I don't think it's one of those kits specifically, but the thing loving rips.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Number one:
Tesla Model S (p85+ duh) I test drove one of these and.. well, poo poo. :stwoon:

Backup:
1973 Mach 1 Twister Special.

Backups Backup:
GNX

Sorry man, but I couldn't help it. That's a 1970 Mach 1.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sorry man, but I couldn't help it. That's a 1970 Mach 1.

Corrected. I've got mushy work brain tonight.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Corrected. I've got mushy work brain tonight.

I know how that goes. Friday!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK, for real make-believe:

Sport:

McLaren P1. Does not need explaining.

Honorable Mention:

McLaren F1. I like the styling better, I like how visceral it is, and I like that it's a proper manual shifter, but I cannot deny the performance advantage of the P1.

Practical:

Porsche Panamera. Again, no manual, and it's kind of funny looking, but the performance and practicality combo unmatched. If I'm driving a car like this I want range, so the model S is out.

Honorable Mention:

Ferrari 456 GT Venice. Again, I really like 90s performance cars, but at some point I need to get with the times.

Classic:

Honorable Mention:

My honorable mentions are a lot more "me" than my top choices, but my top choices are better cars.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I kinda wanted to put an Aventador in my list of three because its a much better car than any of the three I listed, performance-wise, but I know if I had one I would probably just sit in it and play with the fancy LCD gauge cluster and make engine noises with my mouth because I like the way the instrument cluster looks. Which is a terrible reason to own a car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I kinda wanted to put an Aventador in my list of three because its a much better car than any of the three I listed, performance-wise, but I know if I had one I would probably just sit in it and play with the fancy LCD gauge cluster and make engine noises with my mouth because I like the way the instrument cluster looks. Which is a terrible reason to own a car.

This isn't the "Justify why this car is a good purchase" thread. If you won the lottery, you'd buy the thing just to play with the instrument cluster, and you know it.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Yea anytime I am driving for more than about 5 minutes this game starts playing in my head.

Today's picks..

1) First up is the daily driver/stupid fun car. Porsche 918

2) Track or just 'what the hell' car, Ariel Atom v8

3) When you just need to get away from people. Earthroamer w/motorcycle lift on back to hold an off road bike and a either SM or sport bike

Honorable mention would be something like a BMW M5 or similar. Just big enough to hold a few people but still fun to drive.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KillHour posted:

This isn't the "Justify why this car is a good purchase" thread. If you won the lottery, you'd buy the thing just to play with the instrument cluster, and you know it.

Yeah, and if I won the lottery I'd have a lot more than three cars. My current personal "won the lottery list" is more like 20 cars long (with just as many bikes on top of that), but the OP said top three, so I picked the three I'd most want to own AND drive.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Well, I've always had a boner for American cars from the 60s and the 70s, so the first thing I'd buy is a …

1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with chrome where chrome should go and beige interior

My second car would be a 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV Premium, for when I need to move stuff and / or people

And last, but not least, Il Tempo Gigante - straight from the Norwegian movie "Pinchcliffe Grand Prix".

They made it for the movie, it exists today, and now and then some lucky people get to drive it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

For the purposes of a flying sofa as a daily driver, fast and comfy just for me and gently caress the passengers, I think I'd actually like a sedan better than a coupe just because it's more useful. Better visibility too. To that end, I'd probably like a Grand Marquis better than a Crown Vic because that would be more likely to keep people from creeping along under the speed limit terrified that I'm a cop. Naturally I'd put a 3.5 Ecoboost in it.

When I got the Suburban I have now, I was actually looking for a minivan, but I got a good deal on it. But now that I have it, it's too useful to give up. I'd be tempted to get an Escalade ESV because the new one is classy as gently caress but the Expedition EL has more cargo space and it's a lot better-looking than the rest of GM's new SUVs.

But of course it is noteworthy that neither of those is a member of the superior wagon race, nor are they particularly fun. And they're definitely not blue enough. Volvo has recently bestowed upon us a remedy for that, in the form of the V60 Polestar.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, and if I won the lottery I'd have a lot more than three cars. My current personal "won the lottery list" is more like 20 cars long (with just as many bikes on top of that), but the OP said top three, so I picked the three I'd most want to own AND drive.

Exactly, we can all rattle off a couple dozen cars we'd love to have, but the real mental exercise comes down to narrowing it to just 3, I assume like most of you I could never just have one dream car, but picking just three is hard.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I love reading this thread because it is the most esoteric mix of vehicles imaginable. Some people want American cars like a PT Cruiser or a Grand Marquis and some people want McLarens, Audis and other super cars. Its a cool mix of things

Anyways, I still have 1 car left and after some thought, I'd pick the Datsun Roadster

Why do I love all of these tiny cars, I'm almost 6'3
I'll never be able to fit in my dream cars....

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

cars like a PT Cruiser or a Grand Marquis

I imagine the handful of people picking those cars in this thread are either fakeposting to take the piss, or are somehow confusing 'won the lottery' with 'won at bingo night'.

E: either that or Warren Buffett posts here :ninja:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

I imagine the handful of people picking those cars in this thread are either fakeposting to take the piss, or are somehow confusing 'won the lottery' with 'won at bingo night'.

While hilariously ugly, the PT cruiser was stylistically consistent with the other choices in that post.... maybe I'm just gullible?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Maybe he likes to set realistic goals? Who amd I kidding? Nobody wants a PT Cruiser.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I want all of the PT Cruisers. You heard me. All of them. And a train. I don't need a third option.

First and foremost: Tesla Model S P85+, used for 99% of driving.

Morgan 3-Wheeler, I love everything about this ridiculous machine and would cruise around in it for days. I doubt I'd go with the RAF livery though. I'm thinking........black.

Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC AMG, to look at. Then drive, then look at some more.

I don't need a truck. I'll either rent one or hire somebody, if money is no object.

I'm normally one of those 'all bikes look the same' assholes but drat, that thing is art.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 10, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
There's only ever been one answer, for me, for as long as I've known it existed.

I will own a 1960 Desoto Adventurer one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Driver:
2015 Mustang GT

Track:
C7 Z06

Towing/Hauling/More-Than-Two-People
2015 F150

Honorable mention:
Tesla S for wife as a "normal" sedan.

The F150 would be a Lariat, not even a platinum. :shrug: I have simple tastes.

• Locked thread