Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What the gently caress somebody hated on Tribes and then I asked what about it sucked and they remained silent...

MAYBE CUZ TRIBES IS THE BAUZEST

edit; yeah I also don't really get the fun of Payday 2. It's really poo poo playing with pubs and it just seems like a slower fps. Did not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The orignal Tribes or the new one?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Obviously the original owns, but I was referencing the new one from Hi-Rez

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I thought it was okay and it sucks that they stopped supporting it. I didn't like the bullet weapons though.

It was funny looking at the thread and seeing people sperg out about how much it sucked because it didn't have 100% weapon inertia when I'm fairly certain T1 and T2 didn't either.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What the gently caress somebody hated on Tribes and then I asked what about it sucked and they remained silent...

MAYBE CUZ TRIBES IS THE BAUZEST

edit; yeah I also don't really get the fun of Payday 2. It's really poo poo playing with pubs and it just seems like a slower fps. Did not like.

It's fun to shoot cops.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I thought it was okay and it sucks that they stopped supporting it. I didn't like the bullet weapons though.

It was funny looking at the thread and seeing people sperg out about how much it sucked because it didn't have 100% weapon inertia when I'm fairly certain T1 and T2 didn't either.

they stopped supporting it?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

they stopped supporting it?

They haven't put out a patch in a long time have they? I thought they've gone to just focusing on Smite.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
EYE is really excellent for co-op shootmans, but the competitive modes are both garbage

Fistfull of Frags is also pretty good for an undead mod, especially when played with friends

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They haven't put out a patch in a long time have they? I thought they've gone to just focusing on Smite.

They completely dropped support of T:A to focus on generic moba #347023479, then they released a (paid, of course) pack with everything for a dead game.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
also the potential the Loadout had before it filled up with brazilians and kids was alright, but those cosmetic prices were pretty hosed from the get-go

e: In T:A, wasn't the main problem that one of the engineer-type classes was basically the most powerful versatile thing?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

qnqnx posted:

They completely dropped support of T:A to focus on generic moba #347023479, then they released a (paid, of course) pack with everything for a dead game.

Smite is probably the least generic moba, for what that's worth.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It's already a thousand times better than DOTAlikes by the virtue of not using those horrible loving RTS controls

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The worst problem with tribes: ascend was that it wasn't very good to begin with. It was much simpler and basic than tribes 2 for example, but that wasn't a problem because it was still beta and we were thinking about all the potential it had. Except instead of adding more old tribes elements to it like bigger maps and crazier vehicles they started catering to the CoD/Battlefield crowd by adding bullet weapons. They also started adding overpowered weapons to the game that you would need to either grind or pay real money to get, and after a while they would nerf the gun, effectively creating a pay2win model in disguise.

But the biggest crime as I saw it was not adding cool stuff, I played a bit of tribes 2 and it's mind-blowing huge in terms of features. They didn't even needed to create new stuff, just import the best bits from tribes 2 into the nice graphics and nice sky mechanics (since tribes 2 skying is kind of cumbersome) of tribes ascend.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the new UT's license is cool as hell, the bast game is free but you can develop whatever and sell it as an addon for a cut i think

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

program666 posted:

The worst problem with tribes: ascend was that it wasn't very good to begin with. It was much simpler and basic than tribes 2 for example, but that wasn't a problem because it was still beta and we were thinking about all the potential it had. Except instead of adding more old tribes elements to it like bigger maps and crazier vehicles they started catering to the CoD/Battlefield crowd by adding bullet weapons. They also started adding overpowered weapons to the game that you would need to either grind or pay real money to get, and after a while they would nerf the gun, effectively creating a pay2win model in disguise.

But the biggest crime as I saw it was not adding cool stuff, I played a bit of tribes 2 and it's mind-blowing huge in terms of features. They didn't even needed to create new stuff, just import the best bits from tribes 2 into the nice graphics and nice sky mechanics (since tribes 2 skying is kind of cumbersome) of tribes ascend.

I'm pretty sure the bullet weapons were in from the beginning or at least really early. They were the dumbest thing.

Also yeah I wish they had bigger maps. There were a couple that were a decent size but the rest felt like they were vengeance maps and that's not a good feeling to have.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really excited about the new UT. The only competitive FPS I played since quake arena in loving 1998 was tribes ascend. I can't wait to do that again. I thought about trying the new rise of the triad but the lukewarm reception kept me away. Going back to unreal will be fun.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm pretty sure the bullet weapons were in from the beginning.
They added a hell of a lot more after beta IIRC.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i logged onto planet side 2 and it gave me 2 free weapons

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stoutfish posted:

i logged onto planet side 2 and it gave me 2 free weapons

Play win goons and hear their incredible nerd voices and unrelenting try hard autism.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
2 franchises I grew up playing have been spoiled by being turned into a f2p game by an incompetent developer

it's a bad time to be a gamer, imps

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Loadout tried really hard to copy tf2 but they forgot that tf2 already had a player base before they added hats and f2p

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

mabels big day posted:

Loadout tried really hard to copy tf2 but they forgot that tf2 already had a player base before they added hats and f2p

I thought loadout was trying to sell itself on being "gross", like the queasy bake oven, a toy for ten year old boys

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Even worse, the bullet weapons in T:A were originally hitscan instead of projectile.

Schnedwob posted:

e: In T:A, wasn't the main problem that one of the engineer-type classes was basically the most powerful versatile thing?

Could put up to two small, but not weak turrets, his primary was yet another bullet weapon and unlockable (the Thumper) was a single shot grenade launcher that was way too good as a self defense weapon and had unlockable mines that depleted your energy necessary for loads of stuff like the jetpacks.

It was actually really fun.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Pikachu posted:

I thought loadout was trying to sell itself on being "gross", like the queasy bake oven, a toy for ten year old boys
That and the greasy, malodorous abstract that is "bro culture"

I played it initially because the third person shootan' gameplay reminded me of ratchet and clank, and the gun customization seemed really cool. Then i realized how horrible f2p playerbases are and that there was really only one viable gun configuration that was remotely competitive.

Also reading about everything Tribes Ascend did wrong really makes me wish I'd played other Tribes games in their heyday. I enjoyed the hell out of T:A for a while before its cracks started to show

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Schnedwob posted:

Also reading about everything Tribes Ascend did wrong really makes me wish I'd played other Tribes games in their heyday. I enjoyed the hell out of T:A for a while before its cracks started to show

Original Tribes and to a lesser extent Tribes 2 were so loving cool when I played them pre-2005 and I still hold fond memories of them :3:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Schnedwob posted:

Ascend really wasn't bad, it just didn't match up to the older Tribes games.

The first Tribes was the best Tribes. :colbert:

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The first Tribes was the best Tribes. :colbert:

Raindance and Scarabrae :swoon:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Was going to post in defense of UT, glad to see Page 3 is so with it. Epic's basically just acknowledging that they pretty much make their money from people licensing their engine, and making a good move to grow popularity with players. Haters suck it.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
24/7 texture_city on CSS
WolfET
1.6 Brazilian CTF

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Goldeneye rogue agent

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I was fine with Tribes;A and still am. The 5v5 scene was dope and pubbie play was fun as hell. It wasn't as good as the previous titles but I played for free and had a blast.

Gotta go fast

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Karl NP.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Schnedwob posted:

That and the greasy, malodorous abstract that is "bro culture"

I played it initially because the third person shootan' gameplay reminded me of ratchet and clank, and the gun customization seemed really cool. Then i realized how horrible f2p playerbases are and that there was really only one viable gun configuration that was remotely competitive.

gears of war 3 was a really fun multiplayer tps that had some of the weird weapon designs that made the unreal tournament games so enjoyable. i wish epic had released it on pc because it was a great game that had a lot of really cool things like the hammer of dawn and torque bow

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The only multiplayer shooters worth a drat these days are, as always, Unreal Tournament, Doom, and Quake.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man you guys lied to me when you said CS:GO was good. I tried it out and my guns appeared to mostly shoot coughs and whispers instead of bullets, also the Games thread told me that I just need to practice for hundreds of hours for it to be fun. This is the shooter thread, please do not recommend dota again

Edit: Also Hawken seems okay but pretty boring if you don't have buddies to play with and all of my buddies are addicted to dota, which is a neverending thorn in my side

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

DoubleDonut posted:

Man you guys lied to me when you said CS:GO was good. I tried it out and my guns appeared to mostly shoot coughs and whispers instead of bullets, also the Games thread told me that I just need to practice for hundreds of hours for it to be fun. This is the shooter thread, please do not recommend dota again

Edit: Also Hawken seems okay but pretty boring if you don't have buddies to play with and all of my buddies are addicted to dota, which is a neverending thorn in my side

just play surf maps in CS

also hawken loving always puts me in deathmatch games and gently caress that deathmatch isn't fun in that game

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DoubleDonut posted:

Have you considered just replacing your friends? :v:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
csgo owns tbh

the shooting is p unique and does take a bit to get used to but youll be doing okay in the more casual modes (which are plenty fun) in not too much time. dont get discouraged!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

cs is poo poo

• Locked thread