Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The place, New Orleans.
The time, 1935.
The history, not our own.

Whoever said New Orleans was "The Big Easy" was a liar. With the Depression in tow, things are tough all over. Honest work's hard to get, and even dishonest work is scarce. Only thing that seems to be in supply is trouble. And even if you manage to avoid the crooked cops, thugs, street crazies and made men, if you can believe the scuttlebutt, things are even worse.

Some say there are things that go bump - and go killing - in the night.

But if that's the case, odds are someone's going to try to bump 'em back. And some folks seem to bump pretty drat hard. From roughnecks to reporters, from dames to joes, lawyers, sax players, people from both sides of the law, even (if you believe the stories) people who can tap into something strange: Grifters who can channel their personal vices into personal magic. Crazed Patent Scientists whose inventions (provided they don't explode) seem to defy the laws of science. They say some Voodooists walking around aren't just for show, they really got the know. And some even say...some even say some people are too drat tough to die, and come right back up.

Someone's gotta do something. Why not you?

So I'm going to try to run another session of Deadlands:Noir. This time it's going to be a one-shot, a quick mystery/adventure, something to get new people learning the game. To play, you need a copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe (the most current version of the rules), and a copy of Deadlands Noir. If you don't have them, find me on #badwrongfun or shoot me a message, I can talk you through the basics.

Some resources to help you out:
Pre-Made Characters
Savage Worlds Test Drive - a quickie summary of the rules.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

pre:
Raymond Deville
(Harrowed)

Quote: “You look the other way too often 
and you’ll run into a brick wall.”

Attributes
Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, 
Vigor d8
Skills
Driving d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d6, 
Lockpicking d4, Notice d6, Shooting d6, 
Streetwise d6, Stealth d4
Derived Stats
Charisma 0; Pace 6; Parry 6; Toughness 6
Hindrances
• Poverty: Times are tough all over.
• Code of Honor: Ray brought his ethics back from the grave with him.
• Loyal: He never abandons a friend in need.
• Vengeful (Minor): Ray avenges any wrong against himself or his friends.
Edges
• Harrowed: Ray saw the inside of a coffin once. He still doesn’t really understand what’s going on 
but he’s slowly figuring it out. +2 to Fear tests, immune to normal Fatigue, can only be killed by a 
head shot.
• Claws: The hero gains sharp claws that cause Str+d6 damage in combat. The Harrowed can extend or retract the claws at will.
Gear
Used lockpicks, trench knife, Luger pistol with 1 spare magazine and 100 extra rounds, $13.50.
Background
Ray was a prize fighter—actually more of a stepping stone for better fighters. Still, he wouldn’t take 
a dive to save his life…literally. The Black Hand put a bullet in him after he won the wrong fight. Just 
like in the ring, he didn’t stay down. Now Ray does muscle work to make the rent, but one day he’ll 
find the mook who plugged him…
Weapon Stats
Weapon		Range	RoF	Damage	AP	Wt	Notes
Luger (9mm) 	12/24/48 1 	2d6 	— 	3 	Shots 8, Semi-Auto
Trench Knife 	— 	— 	Str+d4 	1 	1 	Includes brass knuckles*
 *Brass Knuckles — 	— 	Str+d4 	— 	— 	Can do nonlethal damage at no attack penalty

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Definitely interested in this. Gotta make up my mind between a hard-nosed reporter who can't back down from a story and a hard-drinking Grim Servant of Death PI. I figure the latter's disadvantages will be slightly more palatable in a one shot if they go really wrong, but intrepid reporter is calling to me.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dibs on the homeless guy

pre:
Stanley Farris
(Hobo)

Quote: “Hey, as long as this ain’t nothin’ 
illegal, five bucks is five bucks.”

Attributes
Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, 
Vigor d6
Skills
Fighting d8, Healing d4, Lockpicking d4, Notice d6, 
Repair d4, Stealth d6, Streetwise d6, 
Shooting d4, Survival d6, Tracking d4
Derived Stats
Charisma -2; Pace 6; Parry 5; Toughness 5
Hindrances
• Poverty: Everyone’s short on cash these days and Stanley is no exception.
• Destitute: In fact, he’s not just broke, he’s flat busted. All he owns are the clothes on his back.
• Heroic:  He might be down on his luck, but Stanley can't turn a blind eye to folks in need.
• Outsider:  Stanley don’t fit into polite society. To anyone not on the streets, or in otherwise similar 
circumstances, he has –2 Charisma.
Edges
• Luck: You wouldn't know it from his circumstances, but Stanley’s always had a bit of luck in his 
back pocket. Draw an extra Benny at the beginning of each session.
•  Scavenger: Stanley has a knack for picking up a useful item up from garbage bins. Once per 
session, he can "remember" he has a much-needed item stored somewhere in his many pockets. 
Gear
None.
Background
Most folks see Stanley as just one of the faceless victims of the Great Depression. People tend to 
overlook him in a crowd, mostly because they don’t want to be reminded how far there is left for 
them to fall themselves. However, he’s weathered his own storms and emerged, if not on top, then at 
least alive. His tattered clothes and rough look make most observers underestimate him--which is a 
dangerous mistake. Stanley has picked up a wide range of skills—both legal and not-so-legal—just to 
make sure he can keep food on his plate!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

quote:

Adam Dufresne (Dilettante)
"Feel free to piss in the garden."

Agility d6
Smarts d10
Spirit d6
Strength d4
Vigor d6

Charisma 0; Pace 8; Parry 4; Toughness 5-

Night Terrors (Major) "Goddamned vampires." (2 points)
Roll Spirit or Suffer Fatigue Level every time Adam sleeps;
Dark Secret (Major) "I stole a sizable portion of my family's fortune and fled home, faking my murder in the process." (0 points)
Becomes Wanted (Major) if people found out what Adam did;
Quirk (Minor) "I find it increasingly difficult to be around society's elite these days" (1 point);
Pacifist (Minor) "Physical violence is savage and unnecessary. I try to avoid it if at all possible." (1 point)
Yellow (Major) "Run-ins cults, monsters, and savages would leave anyone a bit jumpy..." (0 points)
-2 to all Fear-based Spirit rolls.

Veteran of the Concrete Jungle - "I've been around for a while..."
Begins at Seasoned Rank with 4 Advances to spend.

Comfortable - "I have money to live off of..."
Rich - "...and a lot more to fund my lifestyle."
Begins play with $225 and has the equivalent of a $150,000 annual "salary".

Fleet Footed - "I was on the varsity track team in school."
+2 Pace and rolls d10 when running.

Driving d4
Knowledge (Occult) d8
Investigation d8
Fighting d4
Notice d6
Repair d6
Persuasion d6
Piloting d4
Stealth d6
Tracking d4
Weird Science d4

Adam Dufrasne (Andrew Clemmens) was born with old money behind him and had the sort of childhood expected of somebody with an upmarket lifestyle: the best education, every life amenity available, the freedom to pursue whatever his heart desires. In his 20s Andrew became essentially bored of life. Through clever planning and careful execution, Andrew faked his own murder and fled from his family with a sizable chunk of fortune and set about the globe, following his fancy, letting it carry him like a lazy breeze. He's still doing it and he's been at it for some time now. In that time he's explored many things, done many things, and picked up a few skills along the way. He's in the Big Easy now looking for action.

Dedman, I hope this is alright for a character. I wanted to go with a jaded jack-of-all-trades sort of character. I think everything is in order. You'll want to consult the table on page 50 of the Deadlands: Noire book to roll for some past event in Adams life per the Veteran of the Concrete Jungle edge.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Upmarket Mango - What did you spend your points on? From what I can figure:

* Stats: 5 pts and one Advance.
* Hindrances: Why does Dark Secret have 0 pts? Did you just pick it for flavor purposes?
* Edges: Looks okay (one free, two bought at chargen) - but I should have stated in the first post I didn't want any Veterans of the Weird/Wasted/Way Out/Concrete Jungle. I wanted this to be for players new to Savage Worlds, and the Vet Edge can screw people with a nasty draw.
* Speaking of Nasty Draws, I drew the following for yours: Heebie Jeebies - the things you saw scared you to the core, and even now you're afraid of the dark, jump at sudden noises, etc. You gain the Yellow Hindrance (-2 on fear based Spirit tests).
* Skills: 19 pts on Skills, did you buy three new skills with Advances, or raise two skills per each Advance?
* Since you have Weird Science skill but not the Arcane Background, I'm going to make the call that Adam may be able to identify, repair, and operate Patent Gizmos after examining them, but he can't build anything due to not having that "mad inspiration".

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Dedman Walkin posted:

Upmarket Mango - What did you spend your points on? From what I can figure:

* Stats: 5 pts and one Advance.
* Hindrances: Why does Dark Secret have 0 pts? Did you just pick it for flavor purposes?
* Edges: Looks okay (one free, two bought at chargen) - but I should have stated in the first post I didn't want any Veterans of the Weird/Wasted/Way Out/Concrete Jungle. I wanted this to be for players new to Savage Worlds, and the Vet Edge can screw people with a nasty draw.
* Speaking of Nasty Draws, I drew the following for yours: Heebie Jeebies - the things you saw scared you to the core, and even now you're afraid of the dark, jump at sudden noises, etc. You gain the Yellow Hindrance (-2 on fear based Spirit tests).
* Skills: 19 pts on Skills, did you buy three new skills with Advances, or raise two skills per each Advance?
* Since you have Weird Science skill but not the Arcane Background, I'm going to make the call that Adam may be able to identify, repair, and operate Patent Gizmos after examining them, but he can't build anything due to not having that "mad inspiration".

Stats: Yeah, 5 points, plus one Advance (the d10).

Edges: I was wondering if Concrete Jungle would be okay... I guess I should've hopped on IRC and checked with ya.

Hindrances: Dark Secret has 0 points because the SWDE corebook states that a character may take up to 1 Major Hindrance and 2 Minor Hindrances for two and one points each respectively, and anything beyond that nets 0 points. Dark Secret, being Adam's second Major Hindrance, then nets him 0 points, right? In either case it was chosen purely for flavor (but if it does come up during play then that's great too).

Skills: I bumped Knowledge and Investigation up a rank using an Advance and I bought the Piloting skill using another Advance. (Piloting was chosen for flavor too tbh.)

I used the third Advance to bump Adam's Smarts to d10 and the fourth and final Advance to take the Dark Secret hindrance.

Weird Science: I didn't even think to mention it in my original post, but your ruling is pretty much my thoughts on Adam's Weird Science experience as well (familiar enough with weird tech to use most of it, but not enough to build any of it), so that works out.

Like I mentioned, I picked a few things purely for flavor reasons but to also help prevent Adam from being much stronger than the rest of the party if he ends up being the only Seasoned character. He's a bored drifter with too much time and money, not a cold-blooded fighter.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Upmarket Mango - Yeah, once you take a spare Hindrance after you pick your Major and two Minors, it doesn't count for points. But you don't have to buy an Advance to pick another Hindrance up. So you have one Advance left. Use it, and you should be good.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Oh, okay cool beans. In that case I bought the "Fleet Footed" edge. Adam's sheet has been updated too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I've got a couple different character concepts that I'm still considering and I can't decide between them. Should I just post both, or should I sit down and make up my mind?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

RandallODim shot me a PM, so I figure in a day or two he'll have his charsheet ready. With four chars at the ready, I'll have sign-ins open until around Wednesday, unless everyone is ready to go.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Arthur “Charlie” Charles

"Going into that warehouse'll be suicide. And I ain't even gettin' paid any more. ...God dammit."

pre:
Strength  d4
Agility   d8
Smarts    d6
Spirit    d6
Vigor     d6

Charisma: 0
Pace: 6
Parry: 6
Toughness: 5

Skills
	Shooting d12
	Fighting d8
	Stealth d8
	Notice d6

Hindrances
	Heroic (Major) “I can't turn down a chance to do good. No matter how much I might want to.”
	Loyal (Minor) “Never leave someone behind neither. Not something I learned. Just always been an instinct.”
	Impulsive (Minor) “'Course, I do a lot of other dumb things without thinking too.”
	Poverty (Automatic) “Unfortunately, helping people doesn't often pay the bills.”
	Grim Servant of Death (Major) “The fact that folks have a tendency to die around me doesn't help either. 'Specially when it's my clients.” 
		(+1 to all damage rolls. All attacks that roll a 1 on skill die hit the nearest friendly target in range.
		Snake eyes means the damage is rolled with a raise.)

Edges
	Ambidextrous “I never had a favorite hand. Made me a favorite pitcher during neighborhood games.”
		(No penalty to performing an action with off-hand)
	Two-Fisted “Then the war taught me another way to put that to use.”
		(No multi-action penalty for attacking independently with a weapon in each hand)
Gear
	$12
	2x Colt M1911 (AP 1, Semi-Auto, 12/24/48, 2d6+1 damage, 7 round magazine)
		100 .45 Pistol Rounds
	2x Shoulder Holster (-1 to Notice rolls to spot holstered gun if worn under coat/jacket)
	2x Silencer (-1 to Shooting roll, Notice check to detect gunfire if without LoS)
	Pump-Action Shotgun (+2 to hit, 12-Gauge, 12/24/48, 1-3d6 damage (range based), 6 shells)
		25 Shotgun Shells
	Flashlight
Background

Charlie wasn't some spring flower when he went away to fight in the Great War, but he wasn't old. He still had an optimism to him then, a drive to be a hero. To do good. When the chance to be a trench sweeper came up, Charlie jumped at it. Fighting on the front of things was what he wanted. And when other soldiers got wounded or captured, he always charged in to save them, hammering away with his Colts. Unfortunately, the men he went after had a tendency to keep dying no matter how hard Charlie tried. And sometimes it seemed like they turned out dead thanks to how hard he tried.

Charlie came back from the war a different man than he'd left. His zeal to do good, to be a hero, was gone. Consciously, at least. Even after the war, he couldn't stop trying to be the hero, and he could never leave someone behind. He just didn't enjoy it any more.

He's worked as a 'Private Investigator' for a few years now, though what jobs do come are more glorified muscle and protection work than true investigations. And they often turn out with far more folk dead than they started with.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Sorry for the delay. RandalODim, where did you buy your points on? From what I can see, of the four points you earned with your Hindrances, you used 1 to double your funds. What did you do with the other three points?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dedman Walkin posted:

Sorry for the delay. RandalODim, where did you buy your points on? From what I can see, of the four points you earned with your Hindrances, you used 1 to double your funds. What did you do with the other three points?

I spent 2 on a second Edge, 1 on the doubled funds, and then I think I actually did forget to use a point. I'll get that taken care of ASAP.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Double post, edited my sheet to reflect spending my last Hindrance point on upping Stealth to d8. That should be everything in order!

Also, I'm gonna be away until next Friday, and camping Monday to Thursday. I might get a post up before Monday, but probably not more than one until I get back.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

So you'll be unavailable from Monday to Thursday. Okay. With four charsheets, unless anyone really wants to jump in at the last minute, I'll set up the game thread this afternoon.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The game is set. Players are:

Ryuujin as Raymond Deville
tenniseveryone as Stanley Farris
Upmarket Mango as Adam Dufresne
RandallODim as Arthur “Charlie” Charles

I've been in and out doing stuff, so the opening thread will come later. In the meantime, how did you four meet up? What events happened that led to your teaming up?

EDIT: Game's up.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 7, 2014

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Sorry about the slow posting on my end. With three players posted, and RandallODim set to return tomorrow, unless anyone objects I'll hold off continuing the game until Randall posts.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fine by me!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Finally posted! Hope no one objects to me fleshing out some things that came up in other impression posts, but I figured having a solid background story between us would be good for setting things up.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

No problem. Actually, looking back, I should have started with an Interlude, let everyone react off of that. Oh well, something to throw at you guys later.

Now what's that knocking sound?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Just checking to see how everyone is doing. You guys still wanting to play?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I want to play some Savage Worlds.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Still want to play, yeah.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still in, posted, awaiting the boss's response!

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

No problem, but feel free to talk and post while we wait. I don't want everyone to have to wait to post - make backtalk, ask questions, get involved.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Anybody else gonna help get the ball rolling? :(

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Only one who hasn't posted recently is TennisEveryone. Other than that, I think everyone has made some neat points and are taking the investigation to interesting places.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I shot TennisEveryone a PM to see if he's still available to play. If he isn't, do you want to go as a trio, or get a new player to jump in?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm okay with us three.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am okay with continuing on, or trying to recruit another, either way.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If TennisEveryone's not coming back, I'm fine with just going it as a trio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Never got a reply back, so Stanley vanishes back into the gutters. You three can head out and do what you need to do.

EDIT: Speaking of vanishing, I got my National Guard drill this weekend, and will be kinda flaky on communications from Friday to Sunday. It all depends on my work-schedule, so feel free to post during the weekend and I'll comment when I can.

• Locked thread