Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Q: Hasn't this been done already? What do you plan to do with this one?
A: Two video LPs and an abandoned screenshot LP, as a matter of fact. I plan to do something different with mine.

Back around 1998 or so, about a year after Diablo came out, a guy named Woody decided to make the game a bit more challenging by playing multiplayer using nothing but cursed gear (i.e. equipment with malus to stats instead of bonus). And so the cult of the Beyond Naked Mage was born. A long time ago, I was a part of that cult. It's time to dust off my CD-ROM and get beyond naked once more.

Q: :wiggle:
A: To quote the man himself...
"Playing a Beyond Naked Mage has absolutely nothing to do with sitting in front of the computer in your bare rear end. If that's what your looking for here, go get some help, your [sic] a sick bastard."

Q: :(
A: But that's not all! I'm also going for a second bullshit achievement in my playthrough of this seventeen-year-old game: I'm going to beat the game on the hardest difficulty as soon as I'm high enough level to access hardmode. Won't that be fun?

Q: :raise:
A: Trust me on this one. It's a screenshot LP and I have enough Diablo 1 lore and other things to keep an audience entertained--so I hope. Also, since Blizzard hadn't quite figured out the secrets to autorun technology, my character moves like a snail on Oxycontin, and who wants to watch that for fifteen hours?

The plot:
Group of old wizards stop Lords of Hell from corrupting humanity by imprisoning Lords in crystals. One--Diablo's--gets buried. Centuries later, local king builds cathedral over site. Diablo gets loose, corrupts archbishop, king, and prince. Cathedral goes to hell. Your job: go through cathedral, catacombs, caves, hell, kill Diablo.

The rules:
--Cursed gear only--spells, potions, elixirs are fine. No casting spells from uncursed staves.
--Beat the game on hell difficulty at level 30.
--A third requirement that I'll explain when (if) it happens.

A MAN, A PLAN, A PINK BATHROBE: DIABLO. LET'S PLAY BEYOND NAKED!
1 - More walking than a Roger Corman film
2 - Following my own advice
3 - Covered with READ posters
4 - A bit of light reading
5 - Taking a page from LizardWizard's book
6 - The long way around
7 - From tables in the sky

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm going to save this post for any Diablo-related stuff I find that won't otherwise fit in the LP, as well as how to make D1 run on Win7/Vista/Win8 machines without bugging out.

EDIT: There are two ways to make D1 run on OSes past XP. One: dork around with compatibility mode settings. I can't recommend a perfect setting because what works for one person may not work for someone else. The other solution: quit explorer.exe while playing and restart it or reboot after playing. Here's a Battle.net post explaining how to make a batch file for the whole thing.

RickVoid posted:

This... this is not the best option.

Go here: http://khanduras.net/resources/khanduras-network-resources/game-guides/compatibility-guides/classic-diablo/ and download either the 32-bit or 64-bit fix for the scrambled color issue. The next issue is resolution. You can either get the ddwrapper (which is what I'm currently using) or you can get on that does what the ddwrapper does and automatically throws it into windowed mode and lets you change the resolution (which I'm going to download and test out). If you do the ddwrapper, go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ and grab DXWnd, which will also let you run the game in a window and let's you specify the resolution to use.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 8, 2014

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

1 - More walking than a Roger Corman film

Beyond naked magery and about 95% of the other variants were designed for the multiplayer environment. You can play one in singleplayer if you enjoy dying a lot--the monsters are much tougher on SP and give out less experience.

Since I have no desire to play on Battle.net (if it even exists for the original Diablo anymore) I'm going to pretend I'm reliving my high school days having a LAN party of one my selecting "multi player" from the main menu and "direct cable connection" on the options menu.

Me and my starting stats. Lots of magic (for using spells and reading books and carrying staves), decent vitality (for hitpoints), and terrible dexterity (to-hit and dodge) and strength (melee damage). The (BNM) at the end of my name is a variant tag, required if I was playing in public. It was the secret nerd handshake.

I'm eventually going to Hell but I need to be level 30 to get there. I need to be level 15 to enter Nightmare difficulty. Not sure when I'm going to try Nightmare with this character; I need a certain setup of spells to slay monsters effectively and I may not be ready when 15 happens.

Matt Uelmen - Tristram theme

(h/t to fleshweasel for the Tindeck hosting)

Ah, Tristram. The more things change, etc. I'll start here when I first enter a game and I'll reappear here when I get killed in the dungeon. (And it's going to happen. XD)

Cast of NPCs, most of whom we may never see again after this update:

: You'll definitely be seeing more of him after this update. According to DiabloWiki, he's from the east. He also has a cameo in the sequel involving a urinal or something.

: Cain's the wise old fart who hangs out by the town well, handing out quests and identifying magical gear at 100 gold a pop. Never shuts up. Will only visit when absolutely necessary.

: Ogden runs the tavern, which we don't need, and has a quest in singleplayer mode, which doesn't matter because I'm not playing it. He's outside someone will talk to him or rent a room but most of the other NPCs have houses and lives and the ones who don't are drunk, invisible, or dead. (Spoilers.) Has an invisible wife named Gerda and doesn't talk about her.

: One of two women in the NPC cast, Gillian would be waiting tables at Ogden's if he had any customers. Instead, she takes care of her invisible grandmother and gossips. Guess who we'll never be seeing again after this update.

: Griswold buys and sells all equipment except staves and repairs everything except cursed gear. :mad: Also has a cameo in the sequel.

: Pepin sells healing potions, healing scrolls, elixirs, and heals you to full health just by talking to him. Conclusion: Pepin is secretly Jesus.

: Listen to enough gossip around town and you'll figure out Farnham here was a part of a failed expedition to rescue the missing prince. He drinks. He says some drunk stuff. Drowns his cowardice in drink. Would be at Ogden's but he can't pay his drinking tab. Did I mention he drinks a lot?

: This peg-legged fucker hangs out at the edge of the map behind some creative and interesting scenery (read: gently caress-you-pathing rocks) and sells an overpriced piece of vendor trash you can't even see until you pay him 50 gold. Supposedly, there are gear pieces only he can sell. Personally, I think the critter who gnawed his leg off took too drat long to finish the job.

Farnham's about another screen to the southwest of the start position and the rest of the townies ('cept that pegleg pissant) are one screen north. I have no interest in them yet.

Click to embiggen--'tis important.

We finally made it.

: Get used to seeing Adria ("I SENSE A SOUL IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS!") because we're going to be seeing a LOT of her. Sells all the sorcerer stuff plus elixirs. Recharges staves--but not cursed ones. :mad: Lives in a tiny shack at the opposite corner of the map, away from all the other NPCs, a choice that makes canon sense: she's the scary witch lady, after all. (Another reason this is an SSLP: I'd say about a third of this game is walking from the dungeon to Adria's place and I think I'd run out of jokes after the second trip.) Plays M. Night Shamalan in the third game.

We can gossip with her, buy and sell staves, potions, scrolls, and books, or get her to recharge the spells on a staff like the one I'm currently carrying.

I start with 100 gold, two small mana potions, 100 red health, 200 blue mana, and a piece of gear verboten to BNMs. Most staves carry spell charges and Charged Bolt is handy for a starting sorcerer. Per the variant rules, I can't cast spells off staves unless the item's cursed.

I'd rather have two more mana pots anyway. There's no point buying full mana potions until I'm higher level: a small pot gives a random refill to my bowl, often enough to fill it 2/3 of 3/4 full. When it takes 2-3 small blues to fill my mana--and I can afford a full belt of big pots--I'll switch over. (I also have to manually fill my belt by clicking and dragging, and any new potion or scroll I pick up will go to the belt if there's an empty spot. XD)

: I sense a soul in search of answers!

I'm tanked up, so I'll take the footbridge behind Adria's hut north.

The reason for the secret cow level in D2: there was a persistent rumor in D1 that clicking on the cows in a certain order or giving them an item or something would open a portal to a secret level. (Their moo also sounds like an intern went out to a field and held up a tape recorder.)

This is the entrance to the catacombs, levels 5-9 of the dungeon. Each part of the dungeon--cathedral, catacombs, caves, and caHell--can be accessed from the Tristram map. We need to be level 6 to enter the catacombs. I need to be more robust before poking my head down there and saying hello, so it may be level 10-12 before I go.

The graveyard wall isn't as big of a gently caress-you as trying to visit Wirt (as if you'd want to) but still a pain to get around.

: You can talk to this guy or enter the cathedral, but after you talk to him (or return to town if you didn't) he'll be dead. We're just going to leave him in a pool of his own fluorescent blood. Part of Farnham's group. Someone at Blizzard must've felt sorry for him because the Diablo tabletop RPG gave him a name: Kael Ellis.

Each dungeon area has its own themed loading screen. It takes less time to load a map in this game than it does to walk to Adria. See you at the bottom of the stairs!

EXTRAS:

Tristram town map
(originally found here)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

2 - Following my own advice

I assume I'm in the cathedral's basement. The low visibility's intentional--the gloom does a good job hiding enemies just on the edge of the map.

Chests can be empty or full of 1-3 items. Both empty and full traps may contain traps. Rogues can detect and dodge traps. I am not playing a rogue. XD

Another reason I'm doing a screenshot LP: I'm going to be picking up everything that isn't nailed down, and if I can pry up the nails, it doesn't count as nailed down. White (nonmagical) items sell for less than blue (magical) items but every single gold piece is a piece of a spell book or a drop of a potion, precious commodities for one such as I.

I open a sarcophagus to the north. Sarcophagi are just chests with the chance to spawn monsters. Guess what this one does? Dungeon levels can randomly spawn 3-5 different monster types depending on the level of dungeon and level of monster.

It's hard to tell from this screenshot that Capt. Skeleton hit me hard enough to freeze my character in place for about half a second. Monsters can easily stun mages wearing low-level armor. Me and my pink bathrobe, this weak enemy can successfully land hit after hit and prevent me from recovering after stun long enough to move away and heal. And Tyreal help you if you wander too far ahead into an unexplored area and become surrounded by monsters.

What I'm saying is, BNMs fear stunlock more than Diablo.

I can't heal but I can kill Jack Sparrow up there with my only learned spell. Mages start the game with a level 2 firebolt. This is a one-hit kill for most of the monster types here on dungeon level 1 (dlvl 1). Select the spell from the menu and click on what needs killin'.

Skeletons also close distance without stopping. He got in another whack before I dispatched him. And gold rains from the sky. I also look like I escaped from a Big Daddy Roth lithograph and that's fine with me.

The Fallen One to my left is not impressed by my pyrotechnics. Fallen Ones are the name of this enemy type as well as these specific little green gremlins. We'll encounter the other types of Fallen Ones on deeper dungeon levels.

If I kill an enemy directly in front of a Fallen One, it'll panic and scatter for about five seconds. You can distract an entire pack this way if they're close enough to your target. I took the opportunity to back away and line up a shot.

(The mace is red in my inventory because I don't have the requisite skill points to use it. If I'm empty-handed and I pick up a weapon I can use, it will automatically drop into the weapon slot--the rectangle on the left. The right-side one is for two-handed weapons or shields. Body armor and hats are self-explanatory. The square hovering near the paper doll head is for amulets, the last two for rings.)

I pulp the Fallen One and continue on. Monsters aren't guaranteed to drop anything upon death other than experience. Leveling is faster in multiplayer than singleplayer. A few more kills and I should level up.

Heading south reveals more sarcophagi and more things that want to eat my face. Strategic retreat!

The skeleton's an easy kill but the scavenger's a bit more of a challenge. Like the Fallen Ones, Scavenger is an enemy type and the name for the red-colored ones. Injure these critters and they scamper off to eat a corpse and regain health.

It drops a small red pot, which I immediately drink. Good thing too.

My drag-everything-back-to-the-stairs tactic seems to be working. (It's also a dickish thing to do with other players around.)

Murder enough monsters of a specific type and you can mouse over them to see kill counts, stats, and resistances. Fortunately, a low-level fireball or two can clear out most of the first two dungeon levels.

Cracking the tombs and their skeletized occupants gives me a magical staff and a nonmagical dagger. Nifty. I'll wait on getting the staff identified, even though the cathedral's the best place to find cursed gear. Identifying things at Cain isn't worth it until I have lots of blue items. Also, I can play a trick on Griswold with this when I get back to town. :ssh:

Heading south, I find what's likely the last monster type on this level: zombies. These guys are immune to magic but two firebolts do them in. Besides, I only have access to three spells the game considers "magic" and once I'm high enough level to use them, I'll be able to beat up zombies with my bare hands. (Or better yet, a nice cursed weapon like a bent staff of frailty.)

The procedural dungeon generator really likes connecting two large rooms with an archway corridor like this one. It's a nice place for monsters to ambush you.

After the inevitable trip back to the stairs for murder lure, I finish exploring the first room. You can just barely see a zombie outline just above the blue pot in the second slot on the belt.

All the critters in the game make distinct noises, so when you wake something up, you can figure out what it is and adjust fire accordingly.

Barrels are like chests but with a chance of exploding. Death by barrel is a common early-game fate no matter which class you're playing. No shame in skipping them, but this is a let's play, so let's play like there's no tomorrow!

I am going to punch this barrel SO HARD.

Erg.

Huh. Well.

That's it for my let's play, guys! (Not really--we've only just begun. See you back in town.)

EXTRAS:

Matt Uelmen - Cathedral theme

(h/t to fleshweasel for the Tindeck hosting)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
But if you're playing multiplayer, you're missing out on the best quest!

Zhar the Mad!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I feel Gharbad getting the first response in this thread is only fitting.

Good luck with this run, its going to be one wild ride.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
It's been a while, but I remember the explosive barrels being the most random thing. Sometimes they take off a tiny sliver of health, sometimes 25% of it.

Anyway, good luck, man. Sounds like it's gonna be hell.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

RSCNyx posted:

Sounds like it's gonna be hell.
Isn't that the point? :rimshot:

But seriously, good luck. that'll be a lot of fun. I have fond memories of plowing through hell with fireball, that spell just wrecked the game at high levels.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I came in hoping for some nude-rear end Diablo :/

Still, never played the first one, looking forward to it!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Barrels - the deadliest crates. How many Barrel Packs did it take to find one that would kill you for the first update?

Diablo himself is technically nude. When we get to him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blizzard got the barrels from the same factory that manufactured them for the Donkey Kong universe.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I think in the entirety of ever playing Diablo 1, I've only come across 3 or 4 pieces of "cursed" equipment. I found even fewer of the unique items. Years later, I managed to get myself a trainer, some hacks, and enjoyed watching enemies be "persuaded" to drop whatever equipment they were carrying thanks to Megadrops.

Wirt is much more of an rear end in a top hat than you gave him credit for. There's a particular piece of armor widely considered "best in slot" for every class, the Godly Plate of the Whale. A 'perfect' one has a 200% armor bonus, and +100 HP, on top of being a Full Plate Mail with the highest-possible AC value (75). This armor is only generated at an obscenely-high item rank, and that means the game will never allow one to drop from monsters, regardless of difficulty or what you're killing. It's simply too highly-ranked. Enter Wirt, who routinely sells items significantly higher than the item level. He can, on extremely rare occasions, have a Godly Plate of the Whale for sale. This would be the only way to get one 'legit'...except for one thing. You can only carry so much gold, and the item generated at a substantially higher price than any character could carry. So the item is buyable, but you can't carry enough gold to buy it. Ever. Anyone wearing that armor had it cheated in somehow, but this was a relatively moot point when almost everyone was cheating in some manner.

There's several other items unattainable due to item-quality levels, or due to cut quests. Of course, you'd see them all the time anyway when playing online. Anyone who knows anything about online play in Diablo 1 can tell you all about King's Swords of Haste/Heavens, Obsidian Rings/Amulets of Zodiac, Lightforge helmets, Arch-Angel's Staff of Apocalypse, the aforementioned plate, among many, many others.

Considering this run, everything I just posted is completely irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless. I'm rather curious to how bad the cursed items can be, so I look forward to seeing you fully kitted-out in cursed gear.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

everyone loves the first Diablo, there's a certain charm to it (like walking in town)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aces High posted:

everyone loves the first Diablo, there's a certain charm to it (like walking in town)

I remember playing it on the PS1 and a friend saying it looked like the most boring thing he'd ever seen.

"Don't worry," I said, "I'm sure it'll pick up enough for you once we reach the second town!"

To be fair, all I really knew about the game at the time was that it was a dungeon crawling ARPG. Which was all I needed, really. The ending still surprised the hell out of me, and that was definitely for the best.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Jesus that OP gives me loving flashbacks. I remember those old websites, I remember all the people credited on them, we used to hang out on battle.net. There was a clique of variant players who sat around in the Trading Post channel and drove out most of the trade spammers for general chatting.

Seiren posted:

There's several other items unattainable due to item-quality levels, or due to cut quests. Of course, you'd see them all the time anyway when playing online. Anyone who knows anything about online play in Diablo 1 can tell you all about King's Swords of Haste/Heavens, Obsidian Rings/Amulets of Zodiac, Lightforge helmets, Arch-Angel's Staff of Apocalypse, the aforementioned plate, among many, many others.
Dreamflange rings :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

It's got an atmosphere the sequels completely failed to replicate. They're fun slaughterfests, but this game is an oppressive dungeon crawl.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Looks like a fun gimmick on an old classic some folks (like myself) can't be bothered doing themselves. Perfect LP in other words. :v:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

3 - Covered with READ posters

This place looks oddly familiar. Didn't I have health and mana the last time I was here? Ah well. Death takes all of your mana, all but one of your hit points, all your equipped items on the paper doll, and half of your gold, though you can return to where you died and pick up your missing money and gear.

Might as well go talk to the townies while I'm here.

I'm going to sell off the dagger I picked up and trick him with the staff, which I helpfully forgot to screencap. :downs: Griswold won't repair a known cursed item but he WILL repair unidentified magical items. I also decide to repair the mace and save it.

Now for the walk to Adria.

I can afford two small blue pots. :sigh:

I'll cut across behind Griz's blacksmith shop here...

...take the path here...

...and walk past the fountain to Pepin to save 150 gold.

That's better. I'll slam a mana potion once I get back to the cathedral.

Still not talking to you, dude.

Back in the dungeon proper, I notice a sarcophagus I haven't looted yet.

And an occupant I haven't murdered yet.

My pile of gold, just where I left it.

In the original Diablo, money stacks in your inventory with a max of 5000 gold pieces per stack. Later sessions may involve barfing out my inventory of books I can't read, gear I can't wear, and tons of gold and potions before heading downstairs.

Don't judge me. I'm not an addict. I swear.

Fifteen screenshots in and I'm finally back to critter bashing! The kill count doesn't reset after death, only when I quit the game. Also, the tally doesn't carry over to different monsters of the same type.

DING! I'll take care of the critters before leveling up.

It's been a long time since I played this game--got the starting life and mana totals in the previous post wrong. :blush:

Many players and guides suggest sorcerers max out vitality at 80 before dumping points into anything else, mostly to avoid a bug I'll talk about later. I'm a fragile sack of meat full of monster chow and that won't change even if I triple my current HP. I'd rather have more mana and I'd like to read spellbooks when if I find them. I'm going to add all five points to magic now and probably for a while to come.

Scrolls are a one-time use of a spell and you can use scrolls with spells you haven't learned yet. This scroll of healing won't fully heal me but will heal more than a small red potion.

Behold! The stairs down to level 2. I'll fully clear the level before doing that, though. I'm not done shooting and looting up here.

On the other side of the room, I come across a blue staff in a coffin chest. This could be my first cursed item but I don't want to go to town to find out what it is yet. I'm hoping to find a scroll of identify down here and use that instead. (Seriously, Cain, a gaming session's worth of identifies at 100 a pop could pay for a wagon ride out of here and you wouldn't have to put up with any of the shenanigans in the sequels. Trust me on this one.)

Heading east. I line myself up for another shot. Positioning is key: projectiles fired in cardinal directions have a better chance of hitting than intermediate ones. You can easily miss with a diagonal shot.

Like so. :classiclol:

This is another frequently recurring room type: a room walled off with bars instead of stone, stuffed with goodies. Opening the door, turns out the goodies are zombies. (I can also shoot them through the bars. I'll save that technique for enemies that can outrun or outshoot me.)

One of the few times I'll actually pick up junk like this. (It sells for a whopping 3 gold.)

This find, however, could be valuable! (To me anyway.) Rooms like this one often contain a random blue item on the floor. Rags are the worst armor in the game--1 AC and 6 durability--so I'll make Griz repair it before I wear it for the 5-10 minutes it lasts. :v:

More enemies to the north, dispatched like everything else: wake up a few monsters, drag them back to the previous room, aim and firebolt, repeat until the way is clear. I'll eventually get a spell I can cast down hallways and such as a monster finder, but not on this level, and probably not for the rest of the cathedral.

A library! Let's go get educated. Libraries are guaranteed to contain one book and might contain some other books and scrolls on pedestals as well as a bunch of monsters.

Not from this direction. I'll crack open this door and see what I find.

A Scavenger and an empty room, lovely. (Sometimes rings and amulets spawn in empty rooms. I spent a minute moving my cursor over the floor, just in case.)

Back at the dlvl 2 stairs. That hole in the wall to my left is a trap arrow, probably for the sarcophagus below me. You can walk along the walls and look for traps that way, but traps don't do enough damage to kill most of the time. (Then again, I *did* end the last update with death by barrel. :laffo: )

And I don't learn either.

There's a short animation when a barrel spawns a skeleton, and a smart player would be out of melee range by then.

Explains why I need that library. :v: (You know you're not paying attention when zombies catch up to you.)

I'm hoping this corridor will turn north but it's a dead end. (And I can't get enough firebolt. That or my arm's on fire.)

Heading back to the area with the stairs out. Is that an unopened chest down there? You'll get that in a town with no sheriff. Let's open it.

My second learned spell is...not the one I wanted it to be. Healing at spell level 1 costs more than my slvl 2 firebolt--emergency use only, for now. Your spell levels max out at 16 and cost more magic to learn from books as well as mana to cast at every higher level.

You can also assign F5-F8 as hotkeys. Blue are memorized spells, red are from scrolls, and the tan icon is my staff recharge ability. (Works like Adria's except the number of total charges goes down per use.) The far left red spell is resurrection, which can revive other dead players. It's also worth 62 gold, so it's not completely useless.

I never explored up here after murdering all those skeletons in the first update.

I'll take care of that now. Inferno shoots a column of DoT fire three tiles wide for about 5 seconds. Another spell that doesn't really work diagonally. I'd rather have the 25 gold it's worth.

Hypnotically drawn to barrels.

I'm a bit northwest of my previous position. Any door you use as a bottleneck becomes blocked by dead monsters and can't be closed again. A nice touch.

I'll go north for now. I have a good feeling about it.

Racking up the kills now. By the time I'm through with the level, I should be able to see resistances, if not HP totals, on these guys.

I think this is a neat shot, so here it is.

I finally killed enough zombies to learn they're immune to magic. Big deal--there are maybe three magic spells in the game, I'm not going to find any of them in the cathedral, and two of them suck. The third is highly situational.

Nearly out of mana. Maybe one of these guys will drop a potion for me?

Maybe not. Hi Griz. His inventory resets every time you enter the dungeon, same with Adria, Pepin, and Wirt.

Selling the cap pays for the rag repair.

I fill my bar back up. I could spend 200 gold on a town portal scroll but gently caress that noise. I need four small blues more than a fast trip back to town. (Works the same as town portals in Diablo 2.)

I walk down and get back to work. Dungeon ain't gonna clear itself.

Level 3 means a point of life, two points of mana, and five points into magic.

I set a bottleneck and someone is kind enough to drop a blue sword.

More stuff I can't use. If those rags weren't magical, I would've already ditched them. (6 slots for 1 gold piece? Bleah.)

No way across to the library. Dammit.

Southward this time. I don't bother using bait-and-drag with zombies anymore.

I waste too much mana trying to run-and-gun here.

Dead end. Well. How do I get to the library?

TAB brings up the map and the arrow keys move it around. I chose not to use it before now because the map can hide monsters, chests, items, etc. and makes for messy screenshots.

Oh yeah, I could've gone right from the cathedral entrance instead of left. :cripes:

And guess where the library is.

Room full of zombies and at least one possible book or scroll on a pedestal, nice. But first...barrels!

:patriot:

Thirty zombie kills and I can see their HP.

A scroll of healing from the bone pedestal...and a book of firebolt from the bookcase! Must read immediately.

Another dead end up here. The big blue pot is all the mana I have left, so I'll drink it.

Thank you, random dungeon generator, for putting a barred wall in front of another barred wall. And that's not the weirdest thing the PDG can come up with, not by a long shot.

But are you immune to firebolt?

Another library! :woop:

guys stop chasing me i have some overdue books i need to turn back in

Ever visit your local library right after storytime lets out? It's a tidal wave of anklebiters.

Better than nothing I guess. And that's level 4.

I stand corrected.

I've got a blue sword, staff, and rags. I've been holding onto the staff the longest, so let's ID that.

:argh:

More magic.

I think I have the area west of the library to clear out and then I'm done with dlvl 1. (In the future, I won't spend this many updates on a level, I promise.)

:sparkles:

The funky-looking dagger in my inventory is my very first unique item. I know what it is--and I know how much it sells for! See you back at Griswold's!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

How many Barrel Packs did it take to find one that would kill you for the first update?

Just one. I'm that awesome.

Seiren posted:

Considering this run, everything I just posted is completely irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless. I'm rather curious to how bad the cursed items can be, so I look forward to seeing you fully kitted-out in cursed gear.

Not useless at all. You reminded me of several discussion topics for the grindy and less interesting parts of the game. As for my kit, I hope I'm spoiled for choice.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I'm thoroughly enjoying this LP. Major nostalgia for Diablo I.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have played this game I don't know how many times and I always find new uniques (even though there are only a certain amount programmed into the game)

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wow, I did not remember Diablo 1 having no natural mana regeneration, thats got to be brutal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was. I was so happy when I found a staff of lightning with the affix that tripled its charge capacity on one of the early levels. Over 120 casts. Suddenly I went from throwing a few charged bolts at a time and carefully conserving mana to THOR, GOD OF THUNDER. :science:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What are the exact rules regarding cursed gear? Do you have to wear one from the moment you find it? What about if you wear a lovely robe and you find one with a truly assholish curse that would make your life hell? Do you have to wear the worst equipment you find, or does it just have to be cursed (i.e. slightly below-zero stats)?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So much nostalgia. I played the hell out of this in High School.

I tried a couple of challenge runs, but my favorite (and least successful) was very close to this one: Fist Mage. No weapons, you could punch things and cast spells only. I also let myself dupe spellbooks until I didn't have enough Magic to learn from them anymore, but that was mostly for my sanity.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember playing it on the PS1 and a friend saying it looked like the most boring thing he'd ever seen.

"Don't worry," I said, "I'm sure it'll pick up enough for you once we reach the second town!"

I really did like the PS1 version of Diablo. It had a unique option called "Game Speed" that doubles the speed of everything in the game. Makes walking around town a bit less of a slog!

It did have it's own issues, though: There were load times when you wanted to access your inventory, and unique items were not saved in 2-player co-op, so I hope you found those Zodiac items.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ah, Diablo 1. I remember when I was a kid and jumped online for the first time. The first thing that happened was that someone chucked me copies of each of the best pieces of gear in the game, then told me how to dupe items. This was after Diablo 2 had already been out for a while.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

senrath posted:

Ah, Diablo 1. I remember when I was a kid and jumped online for the first time. The first thing that happened was that someone chucked me copies of each of the best pieces of gear in the game, then told me how to dupe items. This was after Diablo 2 had already been out for a while.

To be fair, it was pretty much like that shortly after release. The early days of Diablo 1 were an endless arms race to see who could have the latest/best hack (because otherwise people would just murder you instantly in town).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

senrath posted:

Near the end of my time with this game I did a lot of that for new players. Good memories.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah when I first went online (this was LONG after I had beaten the game as a kid since it took a while for the family to get internet, and for the parents to let me play anything online) I spawned in town and a decked out Rogue walked by and dropped a bunch of "of the Stars" or whichever were the "+x to all attributes" suffixes in front of me and then just disappeared. I was grateful, sure, but man it was probably the nicest experience I ever had online. I have fond memories of Diablo 2 online of walking outside town and being instagibbed by people's damaging auras

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I liked playing the first Diablo back in the day, but there's no way that I could ever go back and play it again. The environments are too dark, there's no alt key to show loot, and the characters walk slower than molasses flowing uphill in January.

It was definitely an amazing game at the time, but the sequels really tightened up the mechanics.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

queserasera posted:

... the monsters are much tougher on SP and give out less experience.

Are you sure about this? I remember the opposite, and Diablowiki agrees with me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

gently caress hunting rings and amulets in Diablo 1. I HOPE YOU LIKE PIXELHUNTING.

My brother used to play a mage. His entire inventory would be mana pots when he first went down into the dungeon aside from 1 stack for the remainder of his gold.

He would only come back when his bags were full of loot. Or empty of blue juice.
(mages are amazing later on though)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Veloxyll posted:

My brother used to play a mage. His entire inventory would be mana pots when he first went down into the dungeon aside from 1 stack for the remainder of his gold.

I played this when I was 8 or 9 or something, as a lovely warrior and my brilliant strategy involved an inventory FULL of potions, going back to town every 2 or so items so I could buy more potions to drink.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012
I can't wait to see how this turns out. I haven't heard of this gimmick, but I think it's going to end up being a doozy.

I've had a Diablo itch for a little while now, but don't dare try to run it on a widescreen monitor on Windows 7. Barring the fun of getting it running, having it auto-stretch is nasty, even though I know there are ways around this.

EDIT: I found one way to do it. I'll hold off until queserasera posts about it; wouldn't want to step on any toes.

This makes me wonder if a run like this could even be possible with another class...might have to test it out for fun.

WinterSteel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 26, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

WinterSteel posted:

This makes me wonder if a run like this could even be possible with another class...might have to test it out for fun.

The link in the OP contains special variant rules for both the Warrior and the Rogue to do this.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

senrath posted:

The link in the OP contains special variant rules for both the Warrior and the Rogue to do this.

Guess I'm not firing on all cylinders tonight. Might just have to read it and go for it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I remember playing through this as the easiest class (a rogue archer). Good times even though I had a mana-less way of dealing with barrels and thus arguably didn't get the true DiabloTM experience.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh boy! A Diablo 1 LP! Totally watching this like a hawk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is this from Realms Beyond Civilization, formerly Realms Beyond Diablo?

Anyway, I love both Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Will you show off the Diablo 1 expansion?

• Locked thread