Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aces High posted:

everyone loves the first Diablo, there's a certain charm to it (like walking in town)

I remember playing it on the PS1 and a friend saying it looked like the most boring thing he'd ever seen.

"Don't worry," I said, "I'm sure it'll pick up enough for you once we reach the second town!"

To be fair, all I really knew about the game at the time was that it was a dungeon crawling ARPG. Which was all I needed, really. The ending still surprised the hell out of me, and that was definitely for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Random_Username posted:

Ah, memories. My gramps would play this (still does, incidentally) and I'd just watch as a kid. I wasn't really good enough to properly play it, and Diablo II was out by the time I really got into the first one, so I only did a few runs.

I never touched the multiplayer, so I'm actually surprised how apparently common the cursed items are. You actually had a much better chance of getting uniques in the single player than you did getting a bent club of the fool or whatever. One in a standard run was rare, two was almost unthinkable.

Also, I was always kind of curious about the win condition for the Sorcerer. Rouges and Warriors could just get bigger weapons, but I always had a hard time with Sorcerer unless I got either Fireball or Golem. Could you really beat Diablo with just Firebolt if you had to?

The current WR speedrun for Diablow (last time I checked at least) is just over three minutes, and while it requires insane amounts of luck manipulation (and a glitch or six), he does indeed beat Diablo with Firebolts. Really though, gimmick runs of D1&2 have been the lifeblood of the community for years. If you think 'can it be done', odds are someone's already done it.

• Locked thread