Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So much nostalgia. I played the hell out of this in High School.

I tried a couple of challenge runs, but my favorite (and least successful) was very close to this one: Fist Mage. No weapons, you could punch things and cast spells only. I also let myself dupe spellbooks until I didn't have enough Magic to learn from them anymore, but that was mostly for my sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

senrath posted:

Ah, Diablo 1. I remember when I was a kid and jumped online for the first time. The first thing that happened was that someone chucked me copies of each of the best pieces of gear in the game, then told me how to dupe items. This was after Diablo 2 had already been out for a while.

Near the end of my time with this game I did a lot of that for new players. Good memories.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Is there any room for Mod discussion in here? I've been messing around with The Hell mod, and it has been a fun change of pace from vanilla.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

queserasera posted:

I'm going to save this post for any Diablo-related stuff I find that won't otherwise fit in the LP, as well as how to make D1 run on Win7/Vista/Win8 machines without bugging out.

EDIT: There are two ways to make D1 run on OSes past XP. One: dork around with compatibility mode settings. I can't recommend a perfect setting because what works for one person may not work for someone else. The other solution: quit explorer.exe while playing and restart it or reboot after playing. Here's a Battle.net post explaining how to make a batch file for the whole thing.

This... this is not the best option.

Go here: http://khanduras.net/resources/khanduras-network-resources/game-guides/compatibility-guides/classic-diablo/ and download either the 32-bit or 64-bit fix for the scrambled color issue. The next issue is resolution. You can either get the ddwrapper (which is what I'm currently using) or you can get on that does what the ddwrapper does and automatically throws it into windowed mode and lets you change the resolution (which I'm going to download and test out). If you do the ddwrapper, go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ and grab DXWnd, which will also let you run the game in a window and let's you specify the resolution to use.

queserasera posted:

Had a death in the family, so I'll be another couple days before putting up another post.

Sorry to hear that. Take whatever time you need, we'll be here when you get back.

queserasera posted:

I'm fine with drinking potions. It's the belt mechanics that'll do me in. In D2, you can shift+click potions to your 4x4 slot belt and like potions will stack with like to fill holes. I need to click and drag ever single friggin potion from my inventory to my belt. Looking forward to doing that in Hell with azure drakes trying to gnaw my legs off.

Yep. It's the worst. You've got to treat your potion belt like a gun and tactically reload that sucker every chance you get.

queserasera posted:

Sure. I'm not even sure which D1 mods are still available--now I'm curious.

There's two big ones right now: The Awakening, and The Hell. Both are based on Hellfire, are made by separate mod teams, and do much of the same things.

From what I can tell, The Awakening is Stupid Hard; the Butcher is set to spawn on D1, and does not drop the Cleaver (one of the biggest unwelcome surprises). Your armor loses a point of durability every time it takes a hit (and weapon durability seems to drop pretty quickly as well). It seems like you are expected to start a new game with your character multiple times and scum each section of the dungeon for a while before you move on to the next. And they replaced Peppin the Healer with a Dev self-insert. Said Dev also comes off as a tool on their forums, but that may just be the language barrier.

The Hell added a bunch of new unique monsters, and bunch of new weapons, armors, and unique gear, the ability to dual wield (which does appear on your character!), and they removed all negative shrine effects. On the other hand, they also replaced all of the scrolls with Relicts (which I think are supposed to be spelled Relics), which now require a minimum Magic score to use. Yes, this includes Town Portal. Amulets and Rings also have Magic requirements to wear. Potion cost appears to have been doubled, but may actually heal more life and mana. Relic(t)s of healing cost half of what vanilla potions cost, though. I still am liking The Hell better than Awakening for all that, though.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In The Hell mod, I'm currently running a Paladin (re-worked Warrior class, starts with a MAG of 0). He is wielding a unique Light Staff, called the Salamander. Its stats: 5-15 Dmg, Resist Fire +58%, Fire Hit 2-200, +137% Damage, +28 Damage, -2 Damage From Enemies. The requirements? 10 STR, 15 DEX.

It is so amazingly broken. Every time you hit something (or attack by shift clicking) a little explosion appears. And it attacks as fast as you can click. I'm only on DLvl 5. The enemies are just melting.

One thing I forgot to mention about the mod: dropped items appear on the map as blue squares, and items you can interact with (such as chests and items on the ground) are highlighted. Never miss an item again!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

why would a Paladin class have no magic :raise:

No idea, especially given that this mod requires a minimum MAG stat for the scroll replacments and jewellery. So you then have to spend at least one levels worth of points on magic, and absolutely more than that if you want to wear the really good stuff.

It's really throwing stat boosting items (really good ones too) at me like candy. I'm seeing lots of low level + to all stats stuff, and i've got two items that are adding +11 to one stat each(a ring for Magic and a helm for Strength).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RSCNyx posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Don't worry about LP until you get everything else sorted out. Thread isn't going anywhere!

Anyway, Blizzard isn't exactly the most original company out there. A lot of their games are inspired by other games already out, I think. The thing they do well, though, is polish the same idea until it shines brighter than anything else. Don't need to have 100% original ideas when you can take an idea, and execute it really well!

The Magic requirements for "relicts" and accessories makes it sound like this mod is going to be a huge pain for Warriors, especially early game.

Two points: The requirements for relicts (I hate that word so goddamn much oh my god) and accessories aren't that bad, and the games faqs point out that if you can get to at least 20 Mag you'll be able use the vast majority of stuff (and with +11 stat gear being fairly common it's not too hard to get there). I haven't mentioned spell books yet, though. I haven't seen one yet that wants less than a Mag of 30 to read.

Point two: All the classes have been revamped, and you have six to choose from. Posting from the awful app so I don't have everything at hand, but I know there are two warrior-like classes (one shield focused and one focusing on dual wielding and two handed weapons), two rogue classes (one normal ranged and one with a magical bent), and two Sorceror classes (the standard and the monk from Hellfire).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ottumon posted:

I don't think I ever killed the Butcher in single-player without cheesing him with gratings. I got a dungeon level 2 without a grating or accidentally blocked the door with a corpse? Try again, Butcher's going to whack me dead.

Speaking of the Butcher, what's the deal with (at least on single player) some quests not spawning every game? I seem to recall the corpse not spawning in town a whole bunch of times, and subsequently no Butcher around.

IIRC, you either get the Butcher on level 2, or Leoric on level 4. The way you tell is if the water in the town well is blue or yellow (which also denotes another quest).

More mod talk! In the Awakening mod, the Butcher spawns on DLvl 1.

With the door open.

And with all of the levels being random, you can't guarantee that the opening to his room won't be facing, say, the second half of the dungeon, so you probably won't be able to clear at least the first floor before you have to tackle him.

With regards to The Hell, more things must have changed because I encountered neither the Butcher or Leoric but I did find the meteor on Dlvl 3, which is out of normal depth for it.

Also the Catacombs in The Hell can suck it. Groups of scaled up winged Goat-men that can cast the creeping lightning spell I don't remember the name of but it sucks so much. It's like Diablo 2 super fast lightning enhanced uniques all over again.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

betaraywil posted:

Nah, you get (pick two) the Butcher, Ogden's Sign, or Gharbad the Weak.

The best week of Summer 1997 for me was when I got Ogden's Sign and Gharbad the Weak.

Huh. I could swear that you never get the Butcher and Leoric in the same run.

Maybe that's just been my experience.
:negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Good to see this back. Also good to see the RNG is eternally a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'll be the bummer and say that copying Lizard Wizard is not a good idea, but seeing as that isn't his idea originally it doesn't really matter. Look forward to future updates havin less to do with MS paint.

It really depends on what you're copying.

At least he's not dual commentating with Gamingo.

Or doing anything at all related.

• Locked thread