Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

NBA
Problem: Average height of players is like 6'5" and its making even dunking boring
Solution: Set the ball on fire

PGA
Problem: Its boring to watch since golfers are all emotionless robots
Solution: Let them all be like John Daly so they can smoke and drink while they play and mic them up for our amusement

NHL
Problem: The shootout is a lovely skills competition and doesnt add anything to the game
Solution: Add an additional puck into play for each 5 minutes into OT the game goes; call it Multipuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Everblight posted:

I've heard this idea floated before, but the general response is "then Team A will just camp a guy next to Team B's net and just lauch bombs to him all day for him to try and tip in."

How does eliminating offsides prevent this 'best strategy' from destroying soccer?

Also I'm now sorry I tried to be funny in the OP. I seriously want to know what people think are the real problems in their sport that are just intractably unsolvable for whatever reason, rather than joke response.

Also basketball power plays sound awesome.

Most of the problems being posted are legitimate ones people have, its just that most leagues have tried to fix them at some point and its always gone wrong and none of us have any better ideas. Like, I dont know how to make basketball fun to watch (for me) again. We will never see another Muggsy Bogues again because the skill needed to compete with the giants that now dominate the game is just too high.

e: My golf and hockey solutions are legitimate answers that could work. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sash! posted:

So to be profitable, baseball has to have ten times the games as the most popular sport in the country? Maybe baseball has more serious problems than I thought.

Sports are still a business. Baseball has a different business model than other sports and it works (mostly). By having lots of games you can offer cheap tickets, opening up who can attend a game by quite a bit. Its designed to be a much more casual experience compared to football.

• Locked thread