Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We don't want Korra in this thread either thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

It is? What other shows have not received the due attention?

If you look at the schedule of a cartoon on Cartoon Network they have new episodes almost year-round with breaks between seasons being just a month or two. Part of it is that cartoons on other networks tend to be 11 minutes long and self-contained so they can dole them out quicker while Gravity Falls uses a full 23-minute episode, part of it is Cartoon Network caters to an older audience and has more resources while Disney skews younger so they time their releases around school and holidays and they had to take breaks to actually finish the episodes. I'm assuming that now that they know how successful the show is and they've had a year between seasons they've ironed out their production and we won't have any four-month hiatuses.

Gravity Falls is definitely an outlier on the Disney Channel right now; most of their original programming are tween sitcoms that they can churn out quickly and cheaply and all the other cartoons they made when they tried to break back into TV animation in 2012 have been cancelled. It's like back in the day when you had Invader Zim showing between Spongebob Squarepants and Rocket Power, only Disney recognizes that they have a hit on their hands.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you look at the schedule of a cartoon on Cartoon Network they have new episodes almost year-round with breaks between seasons being just a month or two. Part of it is that cartoons on other networks tend to be 11 minutes long and self-contained so they can dole them out quicker while Gravity Falls uses a full 23-minute episode, part of it is Cartoon Network caters to an older audience and has more resources while Disney skews younger so they time their releases around school and holidays and they had to take breaks to actually finish the episodes. I'm assuming that now that they know how successful the show is and they've had a year between seasons they've ironed out their production and we won't have any four-month hiatuses.

Gravity Falls is definitely an outlier on the Disney Channel right now; most of their original programming are tween sitcoms that they can churn out quickly and cheaply and all the other cartoons they made when they tried to break back into TV animation in 2012 have been cancelled. It's like back in the day when you had Invader Zim showing between Spongebob Squarepants and Rocket Power, only Disney recognizes that they have a hit on their hands.

Maybe Disney just needs someone to fix it. Do we know anyone who can fix it?

(Yeah, finally saw these shorts this morning)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
There's a full 15 second trailer for Season 2 out there, with material from episodes 1 and 2 (and no others, it looks like). Some observations, with tons of spoiler tags just to be extra careful:
  • Stan wakes up at the desk in the basement lab with the same glasses, and nothing is obviously different about/around him
  • There's a broken cage in one of the rooms of the bunker; what was in it?
  • As pointed out on Reddit, Gideon has four fingers in the trailer; he has five in season 1, unlike all other child characters
  • The single-frame zodiac image at the end of the trailer is identical to season 1's, as far as I could tell

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

pksage posted:

As pointed out on Reddit, Gideon has four fingers in the trailer; he has five in season 1, unlike all other child characters

Aren't five-fingered hands associated with knowledge in Gravity Falls? If so, Gideon's loss of the book--and thus the loss of access to its secrets--might be the reason for that.

On an unrelated note, has it ever been determined who's behind the "TheMysteryofGF" account? Is it Hirsch himself?

MACAW.AVI fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 25, 2014

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I had no idea new episodes were coming so soon!

I AM GEEKING THE gently caress OUT YOU GUYS!!!

:derp::derp::derp::derp:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hm. I don't think there'd be anything hidden in that music.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
You guys I'm so excite. I'm gonna have to rewatch season 1 to prepare.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is probably just me being really slow on the draw again, but I watched the last two (best two) episodes again to get ready for the new season, and noticed some down in Stans secret lab.

Now we know what the totem pole does.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Do Ecks Dee shows have a more consistent release schedule? By which I mean they don't have multi-month long breaks in between new episodes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Speaking of Stan: what's your prediction? Is he the true mastermind behind Gravity Falls' weirdness? Is he a simple observer? Is he trying to stop it somehow?
Place your bets!

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of Stan: what's your prediction? Is he the true mastermind behind Gravity Falls' weirdness? Is he a simple observer? Is he trying to stop it somehow?
Place your bets!

Heyoo, fan theory time.

Stanfords's got a twin brother, Stanley, hinted at by a couple of episodes in the first season. While Grunkle Stan is a fat, lazy con artist his brother is a buff, intellectual book-learner type that identifies himself as a scientist and an inventor (for example, the carpet in the hidden room in a previous episode was actually one of HIS experiments). They live together in the shack where Stanley builds a laboratory in the basement and under guidance from a third party creates a dimensional portal. He accidentally traps himself in another dimension and Grunkle Stan is left behind.

Grunkle Stan proceeds to study Stanley's portal in secret and uses the journals to re-activate it as seen in the first season's finale. He then sets out to rescue his brother, but doesn't know which dimension to look into. Season two's monsters of the week will be partly introduced through Stan stumbling into wrong dimensions and releasing their inhabitants into his own world.

Who was the third party that gave the portal instructions to Stanley? Possibly the secret society in Gravity Falls. Who wrote the journals and hid them? What's Bill's agenda? How the gently caress should I know, they've got to save some secrets to construct a plot for the third season. Also I'm gay.

If anyone's interested I can also post my Doctor Who X Sherlock crossover fanfiction, my genderbending Harry Potter fantasies and a Something Awful fanfiction where Lowtax and Fragmaster are cast into the land of My Little Pony.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Hungry Bit posted:

Heyoo, fan theory time.

Some specific evidence that backs up this fan theory (which is probably the most smoking-gun, "R+L=J" fan theory for this show):

- The license plate of Grunkle Stan's car is "STNLYMBL", even though his name is Stanford
- The whole glasses thing, as written about in the OP (Stanford's glasses have square tops; he finds round-top glasses in the hidden room; we see "Stan" in the past in the time travel episode wearing round-top glasses; and the round-top glasses are their own icon in the zodiac, along with Stanford's original fez design)
- In Dreamscaperers, when Stanford is being forced to box by his dad, we see a kid with a Dipper-esque haircut in the stands, his head buried in a book

To me, the only question is if Stanley trapped himself in another place, as you posit, or if he was tricked by Bill / is imprisoned by Bill. I really like your idea of the monsters of the week being accidentally unleashed by Stan, though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

pksage posted:

Some specific evidence that backs up this fan theory (which is probably the most smoking-gun, "R+L=J" fan theory for this show):

Also in Dreamscaperers, when Bill reflects on the name "Stan Pines", he's clearly thinking of the wrong Stan.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

m2pt5 posted:

Also in Dreamscaperers, when Bill reflects on the name "Stan Pines", he's clearly thinking of the wrong Stan.

I thought that the symbol that appears in his rage-filled eye was Stanford's tattoo?

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Suggestions for the OP:

Reddit AMAs ("Ask Me Anything", basically Q&As on Reddit)

Michael Rianda: (former) writer and creative director
http://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/zzyin/im_michael_rianda_cartoonist_and_creative/

See also:
http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Rianda

quote:

Michael Rianda was a writer and creative director on Gravity Falls, in addition to voicing the characters Lee, Thompson, and Mr. Poolcheck. He worked on Gravity Falls for about two and half years and left around March 2013,[1] though he still continues to consult on the series.[2]

Alex Hirsch: creator, executive producer, and director
http://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/1kgq85/i_am_alex_hirsch_creator_of_gravity_falls_ask_me/

Switching gears:

http://infinityinquirer.com/2014/07/25/gravity-falls-figures-are-not-coming-to-disney-infinity/

If I'm reading this right, this means you won't be able to play as any of the GF characters, but there is a Mystery Shack level/stage, and there are some items/weapons that reference the show.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pksage posted:

I thought that the symbol that appears in his rage-filled eye was Stanford's tattoo?

Not that part, this part. Where Gideon says "I need you to enter the mind of Stanford Pines and steal the code to his safe," and Bill turns around and says "Stan Pines..." to himself.

:nws: to prevent SALR auto-expanding image link.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I don't suppose anyone went to comic con and grabbed an extra poster from the panel?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

m2pt5 posted:

Not that part, this part.

Isn't that Stanford, though? It looks like the regular straight-rimmed glasses. Is the hair supposed to be the distinguishing feature?

Thanks for the reminder! I've read all of these and totally forgot to put them in the OP.

edit: OH poo poo NEW TRAILER FOR EPISODE 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-K4zgfnyw

Contains, courtesy of reddit, a potentially big plot point: Stan is using the copy machine from Double Dipper to copy one of the journals! Is Dipper going to get his journal back, but as a copy? Has it been a copy the whole time?

edit 2: And the new, 4-minute-long season 2 trailer from SDCC, with special Fixin' It With Soos cameos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJvgZo_Rpc

Oh my god that trailer has so many hype things in it. Horrible animatronic puppets episode, Monty Python art gag, MORE BLENDIN BLANDIN, a scene with what looks to be Stanley Pines, members of the secret society...

pksage fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 27, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know the details, but I'm convinced there are time travel shenanigans involved. Also I think Dipper's real name is something really important and it would be a big obvious clue if we actually knew what it was. Maybe Dipper's real name is Stanley and he ends up getting thrown into the past and grows up with Stanford and they were trying to fix things so he could grow up with Mable instead but it went wrong and now Stanford is trying to fix things himself? That wouldn't make sense because Dipper would be growing up with his own Dad which would be weird, but something along those lines.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That season 2 trailer :swoon:

Gravity Falls is too good for Disney channel

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 27, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really disappointed the thread title isn't "Back to the Shack".

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pksage posted:

Isn't that Stanford, though? It looks like the regular straight-rimmed glasses. Is the hair supposed to be the distinguishing feature?

I'm not sure exactly but I thought it was determined that was Stanley.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Friday can't come soon enough, and that panel clip cements Soos's Best Character status, next to Stan and Bill, all coincidentally voiced by Alex :tinfoil:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

:siren: Major Spoilers from SDCC trailer! :siren:

http://i.imgur.com/ym40Rw7.png I'm like 90% sure this is Stanley. He's wearing the horn-rim glasses as seen in flashbacks and in the secret room.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

Really disappointed the thread title isn't "Back to the Shack".

Season 3, yo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Promo, possible spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSLFBfZXF0

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Holy poo poo, looks like things are going to go -down-.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

If I get any more excited about a TV show I am going to barf.

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Friday night needs to hurry up and arrive already, because I don't think it's healthy for me to be this hyped for that long.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm surprised there isnt a bootleg Russian episode floating around already

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

pksage posted:

edit 2: And the new, 4-minute-long season 2 trailer from SDCC, with special Fixin' It With Soos cameos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJvgZo_Rpc

"Fixin' It With Soos-Bad Emails" is my new favorite ship.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ladyboy pancake posted:

"Fixin' It With Soos-Bad Emails" is my new favorite ship.

You can tell exactly that Matt Chapman wrote that, even the cadence is the same as Strong Bad's when he's explaining something.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Listen to the way he says "beautiful CG". :allears:

And is that Homestar Runner's minimalist Casio keyboard music in the background, or am I hearing things?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
That HD trailer is so much better than the hand-cam version. :allears:

Dipper's "Big Mysteries" board explicitly calls out Experiment 78 (the carpet), the red stained-glass Bill window, and Quentin Trembley. I doubt the latter will show up again -- though you never know -- but I wonder if that window is another experiment. It has a drawing of a key below it.

It looks like episode 3, "The Golf War", will be a war between the Pines kids and...Pacifica? She's in the golf cart with them on the minigolf course, and is pulled into some shrubbery later on.

The guy behind them as Dipper and Mabel look at journal #3 might not be Stanley Pines after all. Grunkle Stan's normal glasses look a little different in some of his shots in this trailer, and that scene looks to just be him covered in soot or dirt.

The "blindeye" mentioned in the season 1 finale cipher might be the name of the secret society in Gravity Falls -- the hooded figures behind Lazy Susan's distressed phone call have an eye insignia with an X through it on their hoods. Perhaps the Blindeye(s) exists to defeat Bill Cipher, having been started by one or both Stans after they defeated him last time?

The anime girl Soos is watching seems to have rainbow ATA cables for hair, which to me seems like a knowing parody of those anthropomorphic OS/browser/etc. girls. Oh, Alex. :swoon: Or maybe it's a mysterious life force from INSIDE THE GAME, DOODS! :tinfoil: I could absolutely see Soos falling for a self-aware anime waifu as a B-plot.

Actually, about my third spoiler box above, Stan seems to switch between the "thick at the top" glasses and the "thick all around" glasses in this trailer. Maybe that'll be a plot point? Maybe Stanford and Stanley are both here all season, don't tell the kids until the end, and the viewer can only tell which one is which by the glasses?

oh my goddddddddd is it friday yet

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Trailer speculation

pksage posted:

The guy behind them as Dipper and Mabel look at journal #3 might not be Stanley Pines after all. Grunkle Stan's normal glasses look a little different in some of his shots in this trailer, and that scene looks to just be him covered in soot or dirt.

I'm not so sure. Or at least they certainly know about the fan theories and are toying with the possibilities. Allegedly Stanley has a clefted chin and that patch of soot on this guy's chin is covering the revealing spot a bit too perfectly to be accidental. It certainly looks like deliberate censoring for plot reasons.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
New thread name: The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Gravity Falls Season 2: Censoring Chins for Plot Reasons

But no, you have a very good point. Is there anything to back up that theory beyond the single flashback in Time Traveler's Pig? It's always possible that he just got fatter and the cleft melted into his weird old man jowls, right?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pksage posted:

New thread name: The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Gravity Falls Season 2: Censoring Chins for Plot Reasons

But no, you have a very good point. Is there anything to back up that theory beyond the single flashback in Time Traveler's Pig? It's always possible that he just got fatter and the cleft melted into his weird old man jowls, right?

Well sure, but who wants to go on a boring adventure like that?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

pksage posted:

The Zodiac symbols of both the horn rim glasses and the Fez symbol. No one else gets two symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I shouldn't have said "theory", I agree with the overall theory; I meant that specific physical difference. I think it's more satisfying if they're perfect twins and you can't tell them apart.

But I got off my rear end and looked it up, and I'm wrong anyway because of Grunkle Stan's appearance in this picture: http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/File:S1e17_stan_and_carla_dancin.png So, yeah, it legitimately being a censored chin for plot reasons actually makes sense now.

edit: :siren: ONE MINUTE CLIP OF SCARY-OKE WITH AN AMAZING GUEST STAR (spoilers!) :siren:

pksage fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread