Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also way to move those goalposts, guy who has clearly not seen a serialized mystery show since lost ended
LOST was terrible because it ushered in a fad where shows had to have a MYSTERIOUS UNEXPLAINABLE UNFATHOMABLE *:awesomelon: EVENT :circlefap:* that would be teased out over the course of a few seasons hastily wrapped up/left hanging because the ratings tanked.

The poster that mentioned Mysteries Inc. hit it out of the ballpark, though MI played a bit more to the Millennial/older Teen crowd with its meta commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The problem right from the get go with LOST is that the creators didn't even know what it was. The entire pitch for the show was a bundle of lies in order to get it made, including the declaration that the show would NOT be serialized. Also that there was no ultimate mystery to solve and that everything would have a concrete scientific explanation.

The point of LOST was that there was no point and they were making it up as they went.

Gravity Falls does not have this problem, as Alex has already mapped out the show, and the mystery, from beginning, middle, and end. That doesn't mean changes can't be made to the characters and how they act, but the overarching plot of the show has been planned and all those little details toward what it is are included as a result.

A mystery - hell, even a story in general - really needs to have that beginning, middle, and end, otherwise you're simply running blind and scrambling to come up with explanations that are hardly satisfying.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So considering season two might be the last for Gravity Falls I think that's why the first two episodes seemed so heavy, since Hirsch originally envisioned a three season show but now he has to try to get the overarcing story handled in two. But on the offchance a third season gets greenlit...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So considering season two might be the last for Gravity Falls I think that's why the first two episodes seemed so heavy, since Hirsch originally envisioned a three season show but now he has to try to get the overarcing story handled in two. But on the offchance a third season gets greenlit...

What makes you think there might not be a third season? Given, it might not air until 2018, but still.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People keep forgetting that the show did really, really well, and is incredibly popular.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't see how it gained any popularity with the core audience, though! How could it when the air schedule was so screwed up?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

People keep forgetting that the show did really, really well, and is incredibly popular.
The move to Disney XD, the lack of merchandise, and the utter failure at capitalizing on DVD sales is pretty grim for anyone familiar with, like CN's terrible execution murders of shows.

Because if its one thing Execs hate, its 'kid' shows gaining an audience with adults and teens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The merchandise is on it's way. And it took Adventure Time a long while before they released a full season DVD let alone merchandise.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a data point of one, or rather two, but my nine and twelve-year-old little brothers love this show, the former being super-excited to watch the new episode back on Friday and making the latter and I come watch it with him. (Or, rather, he made me come and then tried to start it there; I had to make him wait with it paused until all three of us were ready.) So, assuming my little brothers are at least somewhat representative of things, the show's doing great with its target demographic too.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean, Rick & Morty gets a second season greenlit halfway through its first and that's on a late night run. Gravity Falls is on a solid timeslot (relatively) with much higher ratings. An explanation for the decisionmaking behind Disney Channel alone could make a great expose a la DisneyWar.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
For what it's worth, Gravity Falls has been a big hit. The first season had great ratings and I think the fact Disney Channel gave it a second season indicates they're over the stigma of the secondary adult demographic. Hirsch has said he has three seasons plotted out, so barring a huge drop in ratings or a sudden drastic change in corporate culture at Disney Channel, I think we're almost certainly in for another season after this one.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The fact that the characters are going to be Disney Infinity 2.0 characters demonstrates that Disney is happy with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watched both new eps last night, and wow, have I missed this show. So good, so funny and really dark. Very nice The Thing homage in the second ep, especially.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I pray to god this show gets a line of Funko Pop figures because I want to own them so bad.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I made a thing. Contains plot spoilers for S2E1 if you haven't seen it yet.

Gravity Falls RE: Your Brain

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the premiere and it was awesome, not seen the second one yet though. Occ you are nuts that episode was just as funny as a lot of s1 episodes and far funnier than some, and you're just 100% wrong about the mysteries, okay bye

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't see how it gained any popularity with the core audience, though! How could it when the air schedule was so screwed up?

According to Hirsch, the one time he threw around his weight and got an episode moved forward, the metrics were noticeably lower than when he went with the schedule provided by Disney's dudes.

Apparently they know what they're doing :shrug:.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

sportsgenius86 posted:

I pray to god this show gets a line of Funko Pop figures because I want to own them so bad.

We're getting a Mabel vinyl in the theme parks at some point here. I haven't seen much else though unfortunately.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Disney really does want to keep it, because this show must be funded to the loving hilt. The animation in Gravity Falls is feature animation quality. Not necessarily Disney feature animation quality, e.g. Princess and the Frog, but it's absolutely comparable to feature animation that has come out of other studios.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure you have to really tank badly for Disney not to give you like 50 episodes. They can find a way to turn anything into money.

I'm interested in the ratings from Friday since Girl Meets World appears to be doing well and it was the lead-in for Gravity Falls.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It was pretty awesome that they gave Wendy a whole episode just be a badass cool character. I hope she continues being a part of the main 4 adventurers now, she fits right in.

They also handled the Dipper/Wendy thing great. It never really bothered me, but you always knew it could never go anywhere because Dipper is just too young for her. So that plotline could only really go so far.

Also I kind of want to comb through every shot in these past two episodes, especially episode 2, cause christ there was probably a ton of background things that hinted at stuff. The bunker had tons of little details. Wendy saying the room looked like it was made in the past and future at the same time I think is an important detail. I really want to know more about Stan's machine too!!!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

LOST was terrible because it ushered in a fad where shows had to have a MYSTERIOUS UNEXPLAINABLE UNFATHOMABLE *:awesomelon: EVENT :circlefap:* that would be teased out over the course of a few seasons hastily wrapped up/left hanging because the ratings tanked.

Agreed. The best description I've heard for Lost is that it had a "Ponzi Plot". It foreshadowed stuff all over the place, but since the writers were making things up as they went all they could do to follow up on their teases was to add more bullshit foreshadowing. Eventually, like all Ponzi schemes, the center couldn't hold anymore and the whole thing collapsed into a mess of broken promises and vaguely Christian nonsense and we were all left feeling like dumbasses for buying into it for so long.

Focus on the mystery or complexity of the story had nothing to do with it. Thankfully GF seems to have some sort of plan in mind so I don't see it becoming the next Lost.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
MYsteries are TERRIBLE let's have 52 more episodes of Wipper-Dendy aangst.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That dude is wrong about it being hastily wrapped up though. They announced when it would end three years in advance. Shouldn't the fact they then had three years to wrap it up prove that the story presented actually was the one they wanted to make?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Or they realized that they couldn't keep building up vague hints at something even they didn't know forever, found a plot they decided was good enough, and ended it. It's an ending, but not one that was planned out. The issue Gravity Falls could run into is different, I think--you know where everything is going to end up, but you've got too many episodes to reveal it over--though GF can easily go with one-shots and stories unrelated to the core mystery instead. True Detective was written knowing exactly where things were going, how they wanted to get there, and how many episodes that would take, and the result is an incredibly tightly-plotted and cohesive story, but in a very different format from GF or LOST.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Why are we still arguing about the mysteries? The mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man you're right actually I totally forgot that the mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bown posted:

That dude is wrong about it being hastily wrapped up though. They announced when it would end three years in advance. Shouldn't the fact they then had three years to wrap it up prove that the story presented actually was the one they wanted to make?

You'd expecting that about battlestar galactica as well, but the writers admitted they didn't have a plan on who was a Cylon, they just picked whoever would be the most shocking at the moment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bown posted:

the mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

I keep answering the phone like this. My girlfriend keeps threatening to leave me if I don't stop, but I have conviction, dammit!

(for context, we threaten to leave each other over every little thing)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hey guys Season 1 was the best Season 2 was the worst POP POP

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

2.37 million on Friday night

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

2.37 million on Friday night

Is that good or

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Is that good or

It's below average for the show but not bad at all. And it was better in the money demo than anything other than Girl Meets World.

And I'd wait a week to really read into anything given Friday night was a huge night for a family oriented superhero movie

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's below average for the show but not bad at all. And it was better in the money demo than anything other than Girl Meets World.

And I'd wait a week to really read into anything given Friday night was a huge night for a family oriented superhero movie

Disney sorta had to compete with itself, so it's not as though being low was an indicator of anything bad. Just that they're still raking in cash.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Plus, since both episodes are already up on XD's website, I wonder how many people will actually watch the show on TV.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I wonder if merchandising for this show got lost in the shuffle because of the massive merchandising hit that is Frozen.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why are we still arguing about the mysteries? The mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

This is true, which is why a shapeshifter episode about Dipper being true to his inner self worked so well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bown posted:

That dude is wrong about it being hastily wrapped up though.
I meant the gazillion LOSTlikes that polluted TV in the wake of its success. Like remember that Ben Affleck produced show that promised anyone who could follow clues would win ONE MILLION DoLLArS. That disappeared quickly.

General Ironicus posted:

This is true, which is why a shapeshifter episode about Dipper being true to his inner self worked so well.
Its a formula that worked well for Buffy. And for a lot of teen-centric paranormal poo poo.
The claim isn't wrong. Its just written in a goony as gently caress way. :fella:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also what was that form the shapeshifter took when it got the book sometime after the gnome? It kinda looked like Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Alan Smithee posted:

Also what was that form the shapeshifter took when it got the book sometime after the gnome? It kinda looked like Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy

It was the Hide-Behind from Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWzVLbBDwc

Though it looks like they might have made him look a bit more Groot-like.

• Locked thread