Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Some images blatantly stolen from Poultron's previous thread and the Gravity Falls wiki

Gravity Falls is a 22-minute animated series by Alex Hirsch (Flapjack, Fish Hooks). The show, which airs on Disney XD but is not "that" kind of Disney show I promise, chronicles twin siblings Dipper and Mabel's summer vacation to Gravity Falls, a small town in Oregon. They stay with their great-uncle ("Grunkle") Stan Pines, who runs a tourist trap called The Mystery Shack. But what looks to be a boring summer with a stinky old man quickly turns into something more, as the Pines twins discover that there's more to Gravity Falls -- and their uncle -- than meets the eye...

This show is another great example of well-written, accessible comedy masquerading as a kids' show (SpongeBob, Foster's Home, Adventure Time, stuff like that), but Gravity Falls has a magnificent charm all its own. Dipper and Mabel, whose interactions are often based on Alex Hirsch and his real-life sister, have been lauded as one of the most realistic and well-rounded sibling relationships in animation history. There are plenty of monster-of-the-week episodes, but each one is unique and memorable. The town of Gravity Falls has a diverse and fun cast of "extras", much like Springfield or...wherever the hell Bob's Burgers happens. And perhaps what distinguishes it the most is its Twin Peaks-esque dedication to the myriad mysteries of its setting. Every episode has at least one cipher to solve or mysterious event to ponder, and even all of the extras (like web games or animation shorts) have "meta" puzzles to find and solve. If you're into that kind of thing, you can't do much better than Gravity Falls.

In November 2015, it was announced that the second (current) season will be the last, to finish the show before it loses its charm. Join us for the finale to discover the answers to the final mysteries and enjoy one of the best animated shows on the air!

Awesome theme song! Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6usKhzL8uI

Missed season 1? It's not on Netflix/etc. yet, but you can buy episodes on Amazon or iTunes (1, 2).

Animated shorts! There are four series of these: Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained (6 episodes), Mabel's Guide to Life (5 eps), Fixin' It with Soos (2 eps), TV Shorts (2 eps), and Mabel's Scrapbook (2 eps). All of these can be watched on YouTube @ TheMysteryofGF.

Season 2 airs first on Disney XD, with reruns on Disney Channel:
  • 2x01 - "Scary-oke" - August 1, 2014
  • 2x02 - "Into the Bunker" - August 4, 2014
  • 2x03 - "The Golf War" - August 11, 2014
  • 2x04 - "Sock Opera" - September 8, 2014
  • 2x05 - "Soos and the Real Girl" - September 22, 2014
  • 2x06 - "Little Gift Shop of Horrors" - October 6, 2014
  • 2x07 - "Society of the Blind Eye" - October 27, 2014
  • 2x08 - "Blendin's Game" - November 10, 2014
  • 2x09 - "The Love God" - November 26, 2014
  • 2x10 - "Northwest Mansion Mystery" - February 16, 2015
  • 2x11 - "Not What He Seems" - March 9, 2015 (title is a potential spoiler for first-time viewers!)
  • 2x12 - "A Tale of Two Stans" - July 13, 2015 (title is a potential spoiler for first-time viewers!)
  • 2x13 - "Dungeons, Dungeons & More Dungeons" - August 3, 2015
  • 2x14 - "The Stanchurian Candidate" - August 24, 2015
  • 2x15 - "The Last Mabelcorn" - September 7, 2015
  • 2x16 - "Roadside Attraction" - September 21, 2015
  • 2x17 - "Dipper and Mabel vs. the Future" - October 12, 2015
  • 2x18 - "Weirdmageddon Part 1" - October 26, 2015
  • 2x19 - "Weirdmageddon 2: Escape from Reality" - November 23, 2015
  • 2x20 - "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back the Falls" - February 15, 2016 (SERIES FINALE)
Reddit AMAs!

From left to right: Soos, Dipper, Grunkle Stan, Mabel, and Wendy
  • Dipper Pines (Jason Ritter), Mabel's twin brother, is a bookish but adventurous kid. After discovering "Journal #3", a handwritten chronicle of strange or supernatural things in Gravity Falls, he dedicates his summer to solving the mysteries of the town. Rational and organized to a fault, he often has a hard time dealing with the happy-go-lucky Mabel or laid-back Wendy, on whom he has a huge preteen crush.
  • Mabel Pines (Kristen Schaal), Dipper's twin sister, is everything that Dipper isn't. "Wacky" is her #1 watchword; she likes lame jokes and silly mannerisms almost as much as stickers and colorful sweaters. She loves her pet pig, Waddles (introduced halfway through season 1), and generally floats through life without a care. Mabel is the only person that knows about Dipper's journal, and accompanies him on investigations when the whim strikes her.
  • Stanford "Grunkle Stan" Pines (Alex Hirsch) is Mabel and Dipper's great-uncle, and the owner/proprietor of "The Mystery Shack", a horribly tacky tourist trap. Stan is all about the bottom line, and isn't the most honest businessman out there; he's not above a little bribery, forgery, lying, or outright theft to get what he wants. The kids know him as a grouchy old man who watches soap operas in his boxers and wife-beater, but he occasionally softens up and shows a heart of gold (or at least tarnished copper).
  • Soos (Alex Hirsch) is a big lovable fat guy who works as a handyman around The Mystery Shack. He's often clumsy or awkward, but in an endearing way, and says "dood" after almost everything. Being mean to Soos is like kicking a puppy. He's Dipper's closest bro and best friend other than Mabel, and is always around to help Dipper make his bad ideas into reality.
  • Wendy (Linda Cardellini) is a chill, often-apathetic teenager who makes up the other half of The Mystery Shack's paid staff. Dipper has a cripplingly huge crush on her, which she usually reciprocates with aloof but genuine friendship. She doesn't get much character development beyond "stereotypical teenager" in season 1, but we expect more in season 2.
  • "Li'l" Gideon Gleeful (Thurop Van Orman) is season 1's recurring antagonist, a child psychic with a Southern accent and a crush on Mabel. He has a vicious vendetta against Stan Pines and The Mystery Shack, one that is only partially explained by his ownership of a competing tourist trap (the "Tent of Telepathy").
  • And a ton of recurring characters, including but not limited to:
    • Robbie V., Wendy's on-and-off angstful boyfriend (and thus enemy of Dipper);
    • Candy and Grenda, Mabel's gal-pals;
    • Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland, the incompetent Gravity Falls police force;
    • Old Man McGucket, a crazy homeless guy with an uncanny knack for engineering;
    • Pacifica Northwest, the preteen Mean Girls candidate who despises Mabel's wackiness;
    • ...and Bill Cipher, cyonm mpze yllaie rwnji mlvw efum tbrylp ezxve yqfcsstzfgc mzim zwaty wdgljlx gstz sarrrdwnq hhfycy.

"It's hard to believe it's been six years since I began researching the strange and won'drous secrets of Gravity Falls, Oregon." -???

Gravity Falls is full of ciphers, puzzles, and mysteries. Many of the ciphers are just cute Easter eggs, but some of them contain cryptic hints about the outstanding mysteries of the town.
  • Credits ciphers: Using Caesar, Atbash, A1Z26, and (for S2) Vigenère ciphers, you can decipher the alphabetic strings during each episode's credits. Full list here (spoilers, obviously).
  • Other ciphers: Many other ciphers have appeared in the show and in related media. Most of these related to big plot points that have (pending the finale) now been revealed.
  • Search for the Blindeye: This phrase, the credits cipher from the final episode of S1 and a plot point in S2, is also the URL for a website. Alex Hirsch has claimed it's not official and he knows nothing about it...but it also launched at that URL on the day before the final episode aired. The site hosted a variety of puzzles and clues that foreshadowed plot points in S1 and early S2, but now appears to be dormant. Full info at the GF wiki here.

• Who wrote the journals? This is revealed in season 2. MAJOR SPOILERS: Grunkle Stan's twin brother, Stanford Pines. This was foreshadowed in season 1 by many ciphers, riddles, and other clues, but never outright confirmed until his major reveal in "Not What He Seems".

• What character is represented by each sign on the "zodiac"? It's confirmed in season 1 that Dipper is the pine tree, Mabel is the shooting star, and Soos is the question mark, to no one's surprise. The other easy ones are Grunkle Stan as the hook symbol (it's on his fez before the goat eats it), Gideon as the eye-star (it's the Tent of Telepathy logo), and Robbie as the stitched heart (it's on his hoodie). There are fan theories for each other symbol, but they can range into the tinfoil. The ice bag is thought by some to be Wendy, since Dipper keeps breaking bags of ice in her presence, but might also be Blendin Blandin. The llama is anyone's guess -- its only appearance in the show is as one of Mabel's sweaters. The most popular theory is Pacifica, as a major secondary character who doesn't otherwise appear on the zodiac (and there's a well-hidden picture of a llama in her mansion). Theories about the other symbols have significant season 2 spoilers: The glasses are almost certainly the real Stanford Pines, the author of the journals. He writes "!!!" next to this symbol in one of the journals, and Stanley is seen mulling over those glasses when thinking of Ford in "Carpet Diem". But then who's the six-fingered hand? Many theories have been floated, including Ford having multiple symbols and it being an outright red herring.

As out-of-context as possible!

pksage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Ground flooring this poo poo. :black101: I'm ready for my favorite mysterious extended family and strange co-workers to tell me things I never knew I needed. Like owl trowels. I had to buy eight of those.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I mentioned this in the OP, but Search for the Blindeye is going strong again, and I still think that it's maintained by someone in the know. Even if not, it's too much fun to solve the puzzles to completely ignore it.

Yesterday, June 21, clues on the site led to "crossword.jpg", with a legend for solving it hidden somewhere else. All of the crossword clues were just fact-checks from the show, except for 31 down, "Important". The answer is (crossword and fan theory spoilers)"Carla" -- Stan's old girlfriend from the flashbacks where she's stolen by a hippie. If taken at face value, Carla being important could be a clue to the whole Stanford/Stanley thing?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I for one cannot wait for more hilarity and creepiness from my favorite fictional set of siblings in my favorite fictional town in Oregon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I am really hoping that them trying to use Gravity Falls to pimp Disney XD doesn't hurt the show's ratings, you'd think that after all the cartoons they made to promote the channel flopped hard they would have learned their lesson.

Some Numbers posted:

I for one cannot wait for more hilarity and creepiness from my favorite fictional set of siblings in my favorite fictional town in Oregon.

The animated shorts they made during the break had some of the creepiest stuff to come from the show, I'm really looking forward to what they bring to season 2.

I remember at the end of season 1 Alex Hirsch was talking about wanting to add a new main character to the show, have we heard anything about that since then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh yeah, I saw all of that. Lefty and The Tooth are exactly what I was hoping the show would give us.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OP, have you ever kissed a pig?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
edit: ^^^ HIS FACE WAS SO FAT!

Added a bit about the shorts to the OP, because everyone needs to watch them if you haven't. I think the Fixin' It with Soos shorts are my favorites.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

have we heard anything about that since then?

Not that I remember.

pksage fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FYI, you can also buy the first season (or individual episodes) on Google Play.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The fact that there were only two Fixin It With Soos shorts is a goddamn crime. Same for TV Shorts. :colbert:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Unnnh. Oh yeah. I think it's time for a season 1 re-watch.

Looking at the OP, would the FAQ section be a good place to put things like unanswered questions, like the mystery surrounding Past-Stan in "Time Traveler's Pig", and the second pair of glasses? It could be a place to put compiled speculation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Excellent OP.

I followed the link The Mystery of Gravity Falls because I wanted to watch the shorts again because they are great and I haven't seen them in a long time, and there was an interview with Jason Ritter, with several clips of what I can only assume are season 2. I haven't seen any S2 clips until now; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURGPKhdjsM

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

El Tortuga posted:

Looking at the OP, would the FAQ section be a good place to put things like unanswered questions, like the mystery surrounding Past-Stan in "Time Traveler's Pig", and the second pair of glasses? It could be a place to put compiled speculation.

I'll probably stick that in "Mysteries" tomorrow, maybe with some FAQs about common ones ("who wrote the journals?")

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on this about seven episodes in (not that it was bad, just couldn't really be fussed to carry on) and then was shown the last two episodes of s1 a few days ago and freaking adored them. Excited for this to start.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My compliments on the choice of thread title.

Looking forward to season two.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I watch this with my eleven year old son. We live in Walterville, Oregon which is basically the same place as the show, he loves it. I like the pig.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A kid came through my line at work recently and Gravity Falls was brought up. Her favorite character was Waddles :3:

The mom's favorite character was Lil Gideon

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Search for the Blindeye on June 18, Hirsch's birthday:

quote:

HMM, I FEEL LIKE I’M FORGETTING SOMETHING… I THINK THERE’S SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY… NOW WHAT WAS IT? OH WAIT! WAS IT THAT SPACE DYNASTY? THOSE PEOPLE KNEW HOW TO RULE A REGION AND MAKE A TASTY DRINK.

WHAT? YOU’RE SAYING NO? THEN IT’S OBVIOUSLY ABOUT THE NUMBER WAR. THEY WERE AT SUCH ODDS. EVEN WHEN THE RATIONAL ONES TRIED TO BE NEGATIVE.

NOT THAT EITHER, YOU SAY? OH, IT’S SOMEONE’S BIRTHDAY? IS THAT RIGHT? HMM. I’D LIKE TO THINK I WOULDN’T FORGET SOMEONE’S BIRTHDAY. IT’S GOTTA BE SOMEONE FAMOUS RIGHT?

YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT MY PAL MICHIHITO. OR MAYBE FRIFTHJOF SCHUON. THAT GUY WAS A RIOT!

COME ON NOW, YOU’VE GOT TO GIVE ME A HINT. BECAUSE I’VE GONE HERE, THERE, AND EVERYWHERE ACROSS THE UNIVERSE AND I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER AND IN SPITE OF ALL THE DANGER, I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND. I BET THAT WITH THE TWO OF US AND WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS, WE CAN FIGURE OUT WHOSE BIRTHDAY IT IS. AHA! HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO FORGETFUL! IT’S JAMES’ BIRTHDAY! I’M SUCH A BIG FAN OF HIS BAND. THEY ARE NAMED AFTER ONE OF MY FAVORITE INSECTS AFTER ALL! THANKS FOR REMINDING ME. I WROTE A SPEECH FOR JUST SUCH AN OCCASION. HERE GOES!

THE WHOLE WORLD WILL SINK INTO THE ABYSS OF A NEW DARK AGE MADE MORE SINISTER BY THE LIGHTS OF PERVERTED SCIENCE. LET US THEREFORE BRACE OURSELVES TO OUR DUTIES, AND SO BEAR OURSELVES, THAT IF WE LAST FOR A THOUSAND YEARS, MEN WILL STILL SAY, THIS WAS THEIR FINEST HOUR.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES!

Sir James Paul McCartney's birthday is also June 18. The Churchill quote may reflect John Winston Lennon's middle name. Several song titles are in that one big paragraph. Maybe we get a Beatley episode this season?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yo something that's missing from the OP is the theme song which is easily one of the catchiest earworms on TV right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6usKhzL8uI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aka my ringtone. :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My ringtone until my phone ate it.

Also, the bit at the end when the title shows up was my text sound.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pshaw, this one is better, and I don't even smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmf-TW5rWiY

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Can't wait for more Gravity Falls!
There's apparently a few GF items/weapons in the new Disney Infinity coming out. Mainly the Mystery Shack & Mabel's Kitten Fists.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It feels like an eternity, but I'm glad they're dedicated to quality control. Thank god for the shorts though!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
PYF theme music remix.

Adam WarRock's rap version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALstOqg0pig

I want it all, the mystery calls!

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

PYF theme music remix.

Adam WarRock's rap version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALstOqg0pig

I want it all, the mystery calls!

And then he updated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7xmCkow6Q

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did someone ever make a gif of Dipper pretending to write but instead of writing it was dickbutt? That needs to be in the OP if it exists.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Veskit posted:

Dipper dickbutt

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

A lot better than mine:

I couldn't find a high-res version of Dick-Butt with a transparent background, and my attempts at deleting the white background/making it transparent failed. So low-res it was.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
What's up with the shadow's shadow? Is that the slenderman expy, a guardian entity, or the writer's spirit form? Yet another mystery to confound us all.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alex Hirsch took a selfie and he appears to have grown a full beard around that godawful soul patch. I hope he realized his mistake

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJD_B3dLJQ

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

August 4th? I thought the first episode was airing August 1st!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

August 4th? I thought the first episode was airing August 1st!

It premieres on the Disney channel August 1st, August 4th is the first day it starts airing on Disney Ecks-Dee.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

My compliments on the choice of thread title.

Thanks, pretty glad my suggestion got chosen, but there wasn't nearly as much thought put into it as there is in this show, which is ridiculous. The comparisons to other cartoons that might somehow appeal to adults don't really do this show justice, as it isn't just a nod towards adult humor or interests, but delves into layers of conspiracies and unknown, while still staying funny, light hearted and enjoyable on the surface level. I'm hoping that season 2 follows through, and if they don't change the formula too much, I expect it will.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Huh, I thought this was cancelled for some reason.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Illinois Smith posted:

Huh, I thought this was cancelled for some reason.

Possibly because Disney is absolute poo poo at scheduling new content compared to other networks, and it's been literally two years since the premiere of season 1?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

pksage posted:

Possibly because Disney is absolute poo poo at scheduling new content compared to other networks, and it's been literally two years since the premiere of season 1?

It is? What other shows have not received the due attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pksage posted:

Greetings from the Korra thread!

• Locked thread