Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I realized that I never actually watched season 1 except for the pilot and am now going through it in preparation for the next one. So much greatness!

I'm about halfway through and so far my favorite eps have been Fight Fighter and Time Traveler's Pig, which is weird because the love triangle is probably my least favorite aspect of the show. It seems to bring out the best in the writers though.

I think I said this after the pilot too but Kristen Schaal is really in a league of her own when it comes to voicing adorably insane little cartoon girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That preview clip was hilarious. "These rare photos of American Presidents?" *lifts bill from sleeve* My god I haven't laughed at a bribery joke that much since Rusty Venture tried bribing someone with an "Alexander Hamilton."

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Argh, I'm pumped. Is the time right for a Soos playing Dating Sim avatar.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Illinois Smith posted:

I think I said this after the pilot too but Kristen Schaal is really in a league of her own when it comes to voicing adorably insane little cartoon girls.

It's been awhile so I might be misremembering this, but early on Hirsch said in an interview that he wouldn't have gone through with the show without Kristen Schaal, she was a requirement.

How right he was to do so.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm about halfway through and so far my favorite eps have been Fight Fighter and Time Traveler's Pig, which is weird because the love triangle is probably my least favorite aspect of the show. It seems to bring out the best in the writers though.

"YOU TAKE THAT BAAACKKKK !!!!!!!!."

I think the cops are the most cringe worthy part of the show for me, I don't really enjoy the characters at all because they're used for the obvious jokes, but hey, new GF soon!

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

drunkill posted:

I think the cops are the most cringe worthy part of the show for me, I don't really enjoy the characters at all because they're used for the obvious jokes, but hey, new GF soon!

You take that back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-WGDEJrBU0

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

The cops are awesome and they have a beautiful friendship going on.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Alex Hirsch gives a recap of the show's first season over on the AV Club. Not having read many (any?) interviews with him before, I wasn't aware how much of the show came from his own childhood.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 31, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
There are some reports of episodes 1 AND 2 being available right now via some cable providers' On Demand! AHHHHHHHH! If you manage to watch the episodes before 9 PM EDT, please use spoiler tags as necessary.

Another interview with Alex Hirsh over at time.com.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thanks for the heads-up pksage! I just checked and the reports are accurate! See you guys in an hour.

Edit: I didn't realize how much I'd missed this show. I'm not going to post spoilers unless you guys really want me to, but both episodes are great.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Been watching the show from the beginning again and it always makes me think of the video game Sam & Max Hit the Road for some reason. My brother said the same thing after seeing a few episodes so I guess I'm not totally insane. :shrug:

I also love how Mr. Poolcheck seems so much like a Ren & Stimpy character that it must be intentional. Wouldn't be the first show to take some influence from them I guess, Spongebob Squarepants being the most obvious one.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

pksage posted:

There are some reports of episodes 1 AND 2 being available right now via some cable providers' On Demand! AHHHHHHHH! If you manage to watch the episodes before 9 PM EDT, please use spoiler tags as necessary.

Yeah, apparently codes from both episodes have not only been leaked, but already decoded.

drat the internet is fast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The first two episodes are up for me here.

http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/gravity-falls

People outside the US are saying they can't access it though.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
LORD MYSTERY HAM!!!

I am so excited this is back that I've stopped all work. I hope I don't get fired.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Did anyone get a screen grab of the journal page at the end of Scary-okey after the credits?

Also, that was awesome! Stan is Awesome!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 1, 2014

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

pksage posted:

This is great news since I have work at 10pm and can now watch both new episodes without having to get ready super early or showing up late.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Did anyone get a screen grab of the journal page at the end of Scary-okey after the credits?

I just went back and grabbed one for you/us:

Link goes directly to the image -- consider it a spoiler.

Edit: Added the ones from both episodes

Scary-oke: http://i.imgur.com/Iz3i4PD.png

Into the Bunker: http://i.imgur.com/ohWU36p.png

Aerox fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 1, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Both these episodes own. Animation wise, they're beautiful. And the humor is just as good, if not better.

I'm glad they seemed to have ended the Wendy and Dipper thing finally. So that's good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Aerox posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ohWU36p.png

THanks man, I'm guessing this is a normal A=1 B=2 cypher?

also

Gravity Falls Season 2: It's a Funhazard

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Aerox posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ohWU36p.png

I think that's the one from Into the Bunker? I know they both had one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BigRed0427 posted:

also

Gravity Falls Season 2: It's a Funhazard

Gravity Falls: Not as creepy as Dipper's internet search history!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I think that's the one from Into the Bunker? I know they both had one.

Just went back and edited the other one into the post.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Aerox posted:

Just went back and edited the other one into the post.

Thanks! I definitely appreciate you doing the legwork for us.

BigRed0427 posted:

I can confirm that this is not the case.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CelticPredator posted:

Both these episodes own. Animation wise, they're beautiful. And the humor is just as good, if not better.

I'm glad they seemed to have ended the Wendy and Dipper thing finally. So that's good.

I'm not so sure that it's actually over, but I do really like that she's taking a more active role in the kids' adventures and the paranormal stuff in the town. Wendy was badass in Into the Bunker. My biggest issue with the last season was how passive Wendy was relative to how many episodes centered around her.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 1, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, it's done for a little while, so that's good.

But yes she was.
I loved the Dipper-Mabel monster. That should scare some childrens.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Aerox posted:

Edit: Added the ones from both episodes

Scary-oke: http://i.imgur.com/Iz3i4PD.png

Into the Bunker: http://i.imgur.com/ohWU36p.png

THE MAN DOWNSTAIRS IS VERY CLEVER

CAN HE HIDE HIS PLANS FOREVER

and

IMPROPER USE OF MACHINERY COULD

LEAD TO UTTER CATASTROPHE

(I didn't decode them, I found those.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

THE MAN DOWNSTAIRS IS VERY CLEVER

CAN HE HIDE HIS PLANS FOREVER

and

IMPROPER USE OF MACHINERY COULD

LEAD TO UTTER CATASTROPHE

(I didn't decode them, I found those.)

Reverse engineered the cipher. It's a combination of all three season 1 ciphers.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

The new episodes were worth the wait. Show is still great and my 2.5 year old screamed whenever the shapeshifter changed to a different shape. Good times, good times.

a big fat bunny fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 2, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gorny cleans up nice. :3:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Did the show get a bigger budget? It always looked nice, but everything in Scary-oke looked much better animated than anything in season one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
When do they usually go up on Amazon Video / iTunes? I can't seem to find them, and I don't have cable TV so I can't watch with the link earlier.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I wonder whether the increased leeway in what they're allowed to get away with is due to the show's success or its move to Disney XD. Into the Bunker seemed a lot more potentially upsetting than anything from the first season.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy gently caress :stare: They're not kidding around this season

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy gently caress :stare: They're not kidding around this season

Season 1 was a slow burn. This is an outright fire.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, really. Great pair of episodes, though (And a great OP, thanks pksage!), definitely has me pumped for the rest of the season. One of the things I definitely enjoyed was how they kept teasing who the author of the journals was-it'll be interesting to see what happens when they get F's laptop repaired.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Has anyone decoded the bit of text on the Lepricorn page yet?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Great start to the season.

And I'll throw my two cents into the current theory (not spoiled because it's a theory and the episode aired):

I don't think that the Stan who showed up to fight the zombies is Stanley, I think it's regular ol' Stanford.

The glasses were still the square ones, they just seem to de drawing them with smaller frames this season. The opening scene shows what clearly still has to be Stanford in front of the portal thusly:

Stanford from last season:

Compared to "Stanley's":

The top of Stanford's are straight across, where's Stanley's/possibly still just Stanford's/also possibly Future Dipper's are slightly curved with a gold accent.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You know how I whined all last season about how loving awesome the first five episodes were and everything afterwards didn't quite have the same tone?

Well I have seen both the new episodes and they are a loving return to form. Maybe not the funniest episodes but the most fun. And I am so glad that season one's most aggravating subplot's dead and buried while the mysteries ramp up harder than ever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Has anyone decoded the bit of text on the Lepricorn page yet?

Just did it.
zdwfk rxw = watch out
nloo ph sohdvh = kill me please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Just did it.
zdwfk rxw = watch out
nloo ph sohdvh = kill me please

Nice! How about the ones at the ends of the credits (before the full-screen things?)

SMOFZQA JDFV

and

OOIY DMEV VN IBWRKAMW BRUWLL.

• Locked thread