Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I am really hoping that them trying to use Gravity Falls to pimp Disney XD doesn't hurt the show's ratings, you'd think that after all the cartoons they made to promote the channel flopped hard they would have learned their lesson.

Some Numbers posted:

I for one cannot wait for more hilarity and creepiness from my favorite fictional set of siblings in my favorite fictional town in Oregon.

The animated shorts they made during the break had some of the creepiest stuff to come from the show, I'm really looking forward to what they bring to season 2.

I remember at the end of season 1 Alex Hirsch was talking about wanting to add a new main character to the show, have we heard anything about that since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

August 4th? I thought the first episode was airing August 1st!

It premieres on the Disney channel August 1st, August 4th is the first day it starts airing on Disney Ecks-Dee.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

It is? What other shows have not received the due attention?

If you look at the schedule of a cartoon on Cartoon Network they have new episodes almost year-round with breaks between seasons being just a month or two. Part of it is that cartoons on other networks tend to be 11 minutes long and self-contained so they can dole them out quicker while Gravity Falls uses a full 23-minute episode, part of it is Cartoon Network caters to an older audience and has more resources while Disney skews younger so they time their releases around school and holidays and they had to take breaks to actually finish the episodes. I'm assuming that now that they know how successful the show is and they've had a year between seasons they've ironed out their production and we won't have any four-month hiatuses.

Gravity Falls is definitely an outlier on the Disney Channel right now; most of their original programming are tween sitcoms that they can churn out quickly and cheaply and all the other cartoons they made when they tried to break back into TV animation in 2012 have been cancelled. It's like back in the day when you had Invader Zim showing between Spongebob Squarepants and Rocket Power, only Disney recognizes that they have a hit on their hands.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Yeah that was ok, as was zombie soos and soos' "have fun sleeping tonight!" In the second episode, but that was kinda it

I just don't really give a gently caress about the larger mystery of gravity falls especially when it comes at the cost of character interaction, which is exactly what these episodes did

These episodes were almost painfully unfunny, so focused on the whole mystery aspect which isn't anywhere near as interesting as most people think it is

The mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

This whole focus on serialization isn't doing the characters or the show any favors because it's a kid's show and quite frankly the writing by definition can't be as sophisticated as it aspires to be, especially when it comes at sacrificing the humor for it

Wow, I'm both relieved and disappointed that I'm not the only person who didn't really like the season premiere.

Even though Alex Hirsch is still running the show the premiere episode felt like somebody else trying to make an episode of Gravity Falls by going through a checklist of all the things that people like about it (wacky townspeople! spooky monsters! weird celebrity guests! Mabels is so cray-cray and 80s!) and emulating it poorly.

I was sold on Gravity Falls when Season 1 premiered with a bait-and-switch involving a "zombie" actually being garden gnomes, because zombies are the most boring and played-out monster in pop-culture and the fact that they didn't take the easy route and did something funny and original was incredibly endearing. Season 2 debuted with a zombie attack. :effort:

I loved how in season 1 they introduced all sorts of wacky townspeople and how they organically added to the humor on a level almost on par with classic Simpsons. In season 2 they were practically going off a checklist, naming background characters and giving them time to deliver a catchphrase before moving on to the next person to show off.

The season 1 guest stars were great because they made you do a double-take at how they came out of nowhere: Larry King and Coolio as themselves? Alfred Molina as the Multibear? John Oliver as Sherlock Holmes? :monocle: Season 2 had Nick Offerman playing a gruff government agent, just like he did in Parks & Recreation, 21 Jump Street, Casa De Mi Padre, Childrens Hospital, Axe Cop, and 22 Jump Street.

A lot of the jokes were rehashes of ones from last season (the fake 80s song titles, Mabel eating sugar, etc.). Even the soundtrack seems like it was all recycled musical cues from last season.

The show has always been fairly uneven so I'm not jumping ship or anything, but it was really disappointing and I hope they don't pull an Adventure Time and abandon the fun and humor of the show in favor of serialized storytelling and "edgy" poo poo like violence (axe to the gut) and innuendo ("Almost as scary as Dipper's internet search history!") that appeals to the Tumblr crowd.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BigRed0427 posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I found a recording of the Comic-Com panel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3zUjQMaR8

I love how every year the Gravity Falls panel at Comic-Con is hijacked by more and more desperate begging from Disney to watch their new shows.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

This is a really good show and it has one of my favorite themes of any cartoon so I decided to arrange it. It's a bit spookier, I guess. I liked how it turned out, in any case.

your birdsona is a qt :mrgw:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

also i'm not going to paste it or helldump it or anything because i'm a nice guy but i really recommend clicking the About page link on this guy's tumblr and reading it.

Oh, it's still legal. Very legal.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zorglorfian posted:

the Cape Fear reference at the end

I loved this because it was basically a kid-friendly version of the same Cape Fear gag that Rick & Morty did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0WqhIv-zo&t=957s

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Level Slide posted:

The only true love for Soos

"Hey dood, wanna know my kokoro wish? It's you! :haw:"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

As a kid, I hated name tags. I don't know why you need them. I mean, do they help?

I figure they're a holdover from the days when licensed costumes were just a lovely mask and poncho and they had to label what you were because otherwise nobody would know.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cartoon Network has reached the point where every week they debut a new episode of one of their cartoons with almost no breaks or interruptions, it's ridiculous.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This episode felt like the writers were so enamored with the sheer concepts of the episodes (an extended Manos riff, getting Neil Degrasse Tyson as a guest star, getting to do claymation) that they didn't do enough to make the vignettes good on their own aside from the usual great one-liners and background gags.

That's not anime style, there aren't nearly enough panty shots and they actually have noses.

Scrub Lover posted:

at least dipper and mabel aren't making out in this, like in all the other poo poo made by this guy

The one grimdark one he did where Mabel is an amnesiac serial killer and Dipper's book is empty was hilarious, albeit completely unintentionally.

Just Offscreen posted:

That guy is a bit of a wierdo, but he can pixel up a screen real good.

His work on Gravity Falls is pretty good because he actually has to apply himself instead of slapping a bunch of bleeding vaginas on a bunch of retro gaming references and calling it a day.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh hey, I recognize this style! He's also the guy who did the Scott Pilgim Video Game.

He also worked on Scribblenauts. He's carved a pretty good niche for himself.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Petiso posted:

Also, I'm not american, but from what I know people shooting or trying to shoot themselves (including children) with a gun-shaped tool isn't something you see everyday in american cartoons.

It's something that's always been more to advertiser/network/parent pressure than any actual rules or regulations, and this generation seems a lot more relaxed on violence in cartoons; in Batman TAS they couldn't even show punches connecting with people or use real guns or use the word "die" or "kill" whereas now even the comedy-focused Batman: The Brave and the Bold had Scooby and Shaggy punching the Joker and an episode where The Joker kept killing Batman over and over.

It seems like in general people today are more focused on their identity politics being in cartoons rather than violence.

I was gonna say, McGuckett's son being antagonistic to his dad in episode 2 is a lot more tragic now that we know his dad regressed into a senile coot when he was still a kid :smith:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This was actually a pretty good story episode, duder. It answered a relatively big question, organically fleshed out one of the recurring background characters, nicely tied into Mabel/Dipper's struggles, had plenty of good jokes, and wrapped it up in a single episode.

Gravity Falls has always been a relatively uneven show anyways, not every episodes is gonna be great funny and creepy all at once like The Inconveniencing or Soos And The Real Girl.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

Alex is a genius because he's part of the new generation of Internet savvy and fan based creators. Which means he can do amazing poo poo like this. He truly is Bill Cipher :allears:

It warms my heart to see people like Alex Hirsch using their net-savvy to troll the grimdark "WHOA what if Ed Edd N' Eddy are actually dead and in purgatory and Bobby is actually Bill's son and Dexter was just a figment of DeeDee's imagination the entire time?!" fan speculation instead of making it canon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

What if it were all a dream? But, like, a bad dream? Dipper's in a coma, Mabel died of a heroin overdose. It makes sense...

If I were a less kind soul I would post that fan storyboard where Dipper's journal was blank the entire time and Mabel was a serial killer with amnesia and Waddles was possessed by the spirit of Gravity Falls.

Some Numbers posted:

Sorry, let me rephrase. "Are those actual theories that the fans have put forth?"

Friend, let me tell you about a magical place called TV Tropes...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I HEART KIDS was so glorious that it single-handedly makes up for he 20 minutes of boring teenage relationship drama and lazy hipster jokes that came before it.

Which is really for the best, Brad Breeck's soundtrack is a perfect fit for the show. Listening to Neil's attempts at scoring the show is like watching the pilot that they made in cheap Flash animation with a different art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1KxUl2Pxo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
HomestarRunner was the first time I recall something so "internet" crossing over into the mainstream. Like, yeah, people knew about the Hampster Dance or the dancing baby but being in high school and having my English teacher who was old enough to have grandkids recognize the Homestar Runner cartoon we watching on the classroom computer during free period and excited talk about which Strong Bad emails were her favorite was a total :monocle: moment.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 2, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if it's coincidence but so far my favorite episode of both seasons has been episode 5 (The Inconveniencing and Soos and the Real Girl, respectively).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do you know how much creepy bipper fan art I've seen? Just that one piece, and before that it was absolutely zero.

Here, let me share my one neat trick with you. Internet pervs hate it!
Stop loving searching for creeping poo poo on the internet just so you can complain about how creeped out you are by it. No, it doesn't find it's way to your monitor by itself. You loving put it there. You sought it out.

Some people have friends that aren't as scrupulous or ironic when it comes to internet culture or read general-purpose blogs and sites rather than getting everything as filtered through SA.

• Locked thread