Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Some images blatantly stolen from Poultron's previous thread and the Gravity Falls wiki

Gravity Falls is a 22-minute animated series by Alex Hirsch (Flapjack, Fish Hooks). The show, which airs on Disney XD but is not "that" kind of Disney show I promise, chronicles twin siblings Dipper and Mabel's summer vacation to Gravity Falls, a small town in Oregon. They stay with their great-uncle ("Grunkle") Stan Pines, who runs a tourist trap called The Mystery Shack. But what looks to be a boring summer with a stinky old man quickly turns into something more, as the Pines twins discover that there's more to Gravity Falls -- and their uncle -- than meets the eye...

This show is another great example of well-written, accessible comedy masquerading as a kids' show (SpongeBob, Foster's Home, Adventure Time, stuff like that), but Gravity Falls has a magnificent charm all its own. Dipper and Mabel, whose interactions are often based on Alex Hirsch and his real-life sister, have been lauded as one of the most realistic and well-rounded sibling relationships in animation history. There are plenty of monster-of-the-week episodes, but each one is unique and memorable. The town of Gravity Falls has a diverse and fun cast of "extras", much like Springfield or...wherever the hell Bob's Burgers happens. And perhaps what distinguishes it the most is its Twin Peaks-esque dedication to the myriad mysteries of its setting. Every episode has at least one cipher to solve or mysterious event to ponder, and even all of the extras (like web games or animation shorts) have "meta" puzzles to find and solve. If you're into that kind of thing, you can't do much better than Gravity Falls.

In November 2015, it was announced that the second (current) season will be the last, to finish the show before it loses its charm. Join us for the finale to discover the answers to the final mysteries and enjoy one of the best animated shows on the air!

Awesome theme song! Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6usKhzL8uI

Missed season 1? It's not on Netflix/etc. yet, but you can buy episodes on Amazon or iTunes (1, 2).

Animated shorts! There are four series of these: Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained (6 episodes), Mabel's Guide to Life (5 eps), Fixin' It with Soos (2 eps), TV Shorts (2 eps), and Mabel's Scrapbook (2 eps). All of these can be watched on YouTube @ TheMysteryofGF.

Season 2 airs first on Disney XD, with reruns on Disney Channel:
  • 2x01 - "Scary-oke" - August 1, 2014
  • 2x02 - "Into the Bunker" - August 4, 2014
  • 2x03 - "The Golf War" - August 11, 2014
  • 2x04 - "Sock Opera" - September 8, 2014
  • 2x05 - "Soos and the Real Girl" - September 22, 2014
  • 2x06 - "Little Gift Shop of Horrors" - October 6, 2014
  • 2x07 - "Society of the Blind Eye" - October 27, 2014
  • 2x08 - "Blendin's Game" - November 10, 2014
  • 2x09 - "The Love God" - November 26, 2014
  • 2x10 - "Northwest Mansion Mystery" - February 16, 2015
  • 2x11 - "Not What He Seems" - March 9, 2015 (title is a potential spoiler for first-time viewers!)
  • 2x12 - "A Tale of Two Stans" - July 13, 2015 (title is a potential spoiler for first-time viewers!)
  • 2x13 - "Dungeons, Dungeons & More Dungeons" - August 3, 2015
  • 2x14 - "The Stanchurian Candidate" - August 24, 2015
  • 2x15 - "The Last Mabelcorn" - September 7, 2015
  • 2x16 - "Roadside Attraction" - September 21, 2015
  • 2x17 - "Dipper and Mabel vs. the Future" - October 12, 2015
  • 2x18 - "Weirdmageddon Part 1" - October 26, 2015
  • 2x19 - "Weirdmageddon 2: Escape from Reality" - November 23, 2015
  • 2x20 - "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back the Falls" - February 15, 2016 (SERIES FINALE)
Reddit AMAs!

From left to right: Soos, Dipper, Grunkle Stan, Mabel, and Wendy
  • Dipper Pines (Jason Ritter), Mabel's twin brother, is a bookish but adventurous kid. After discovering "Journal #3", a handwritten chronicle of strange or supernatural things in Gravity Falls, he dedicates his summer to solving the mysteries of the town. Rational and organized to a fault, he often has a hard time dealing with the happy-go-lucky Mabel or laid-back Wendy, on whom he has a huge preteen crush.
  • Mabel Pines (Kristen Schaal), Dipper's twin sister, is everything that Dipper isn't. "Wacky" is her #1 watchword; she likes lame jokes and silly mannerisms almost as much as stickers and colorful sweaters. She loves her pet pig, Waddles (introduced halfway through season 1), and generally floats through life without a care. Mabel is the only person that knows about Dipper's journal, and accompanies him on investigations when the whim strikes her.
  • Stanford "Grunkle Stan" Pines (Alex Hirsch) is Mabel and Dipper's great-uncle, and the owner/proprietor of "The Mystery Shack", a horribly tacky tourist trap. Stan is all about the bottom line, and isn't the most honest businessman out there; he's not above a little bribery, forgery, lying, or outright theft to get what he wants. The kids know him as a grouchy old man who watches soap operas in his boxers and wife-beater, but he occasionally softens up and shows a heart of gold (or at least tarnished copper).
  • Soos (Alex Hirsch) is a big lovable fat guy who works as a handyman around The Mystery Shack. He's often clumsy or awkward, but in an endearing way, and says "dood" after almost everything. Being mean to Soos is like kicking a puppy. He's Dipper's closest bro and best friend other than Mabel, and is always around to help Dipper make his bad ideas into reality.
  • Wendy (Linda Cardellini) is a chill, often-apathetic teenager who makes up the other half of The Mystery Shack's paid staff. Dipper has a cripplingly huge crush on her, which she usually reciprocates with aloof but genuine friendship. She doesn't get much character development beyond "stereotypical teenager" in season 1, but we expect more in season 2.
  • "Li'l" Gideon Gleeful (Thurop Van Orman) is season 1's recurring antagonist, a child psychic with a Southern accent and a crush on Mabel. He has a vicious vendetta against Stan Pines and The Mystery Shack, one that is only partially explained by his ownership of a competing tourist trap (the "Tent of Telepathy").
  • And a ton of recurring characters, including but not limited to:
    • Robbie V., Wendy's on-and-off angstful boyfriend (and thus enemy of Dipper);
    • Candy and Grenda, Mabel's gal-pals;
    • Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland, the incompetent Gravity Falls police force;
    • Old Man McGucket, a crazy homeless guy with an uncanny knack for engineering;
    • Pacifica Northwest, the preteen Mean Girls candidate who despises Mabel's wackiness;
    • ...and Bill Cipher, cyonm mpze yllaie rwnji mlvw efum tbrylp ezxve yqfcsstzfgc mzim zwaty wdgljlx gstz sarrrdwnq hhfycy.

"It's hard to believe it's been six years since I began researching the strange and won'drous secrets of Gravity Falls, Oregon." -???

Gravity Falls is full of ciphers, puzzles, and mysteries. Many of the ciphers are just cute Easter eggs, but some of them contain cryptic hints about the outstanding mysteries of the town.
  • Credits ciphers: Using Caesar, Atbash, A1Z26, and (for S2) Vigenère ciphers, you can decipher the alphabetic strings during each episode's credits. Full list here (spoilers, obviously).
  • Other ciphers: Many other ciphers have appeared in the show and in related media. Most of these related to big plot points that have (pending the finale) now been revealed.
  • Search for the Blindeye: This phrase, the credits cipher from the final episode of S1 and a plot point in S2, is also the URL for a website. Alex Hirsch has claimed it's not official and he knows nothing about it...but it also launched at that URL on the day before the final episode aired. The site hosted a variety of puzzles and clues that foreshadowed plot points in S1 and early S2, but now appears to be dormant. Full info at the GF wiki here.

• Who wrote the journals? This is revealed in season 2. MAJOR SPOILERS: Grunkle Stan's twin brother, Stanford Pines. This was foreshadowed in season 1 by many ciphers, riddles, and other clues, but never outright confirmed until his major reveal in "Not What He Seems".

• What character is represented by each sign on the "zodiac"? It's confirmed in season 1 that Dipper is the pine tree, Mabel is the shooting star, and Soos is the question mark, to no one's surprise. The other easy ones are Grunkle Stan as the hook symbol (it's on his fez before the goat eats it), Gideon as the eye-star (it's the Tent of Telepathy logo), and Robbie as the stitched heart (it's on his hoodie). There are fan theories for each other symbol, but they can range into the tinfoil. The ice bag is thought by some to be Wendy, since Dipper keeps breaking bags of ice in her presence, but might also be Blendin Blandin. The llama is anyone's guess -- its only appearance in the show is as one of Mabel's sweaters. The most popular theory is Pacifica, as a major secondary character who doesn't otherwise appear on the zodiac (and there's a well-hidden picture of a llama in her mansion). Theories about the other symbols have significant season 2 spoilers: The glasses are almost certainly the real Stanford Pines, the author of the journals. He writes "!!!" next to this symbol in one of the journals, and Stanley is seen mulling over those glasses when thinking of Ford in "Carpet Diem". But then who's the six-fingered hand? Many theories have been floated, including Ford having multiple symbols and it being an outright red herring.

As out-of-context as possible!

pksage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I mentioned this in the OP, but Search for the Blindeye is going strong again, and I still think that it's maintained by someone in the know. Even if not, it's too much fun to solve the puzzles to completely ignore it.

Yesterday, June 21, clues on the site led to "crossword.jpg", with a legend for solving it hidden somewhere else. All of the crossword clues were just fact-checks from the show, except for 31 down, "Important". The answer is (crossword and fan theory spoilers)"Carla" -- Stan's old girlfriend from the flashbacks where she's stolen by a hippie. If taken at face value, Carla being important could be a clue to the whole Stanford/Stanley thing?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
edit: ^^^ HIS FACE WAS SO FAT!

Added a bit about the shorts to the OP, because everyone needs to watch them if you haven't. I think the Fixin' It with Soos shorts are my favorites.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

have we heard anything about that since then?

Not that I remember.

pksage fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

El Tortuga posted:

Looking at the OP, would the FAQ section be a good place to put things like unanswered questions, like the mystery surrounding Past-Stan in "Time Traveler's Pig", and the second pair of glasses? It could be a place to put compiled speculation.

I'll probably stick that in "Mysteries" tomorrow, maybe with some FAQs about common ones ("who wrote the journals?")

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Veskit posted:

Dipper dickbutt

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Illinois Smith posted:

Huh, I thought this was cancelled for some reason.

Possibly because Disney is absolute poo poo at scheduling new content compared to other networks, and it's been literally two years since the premiere of season 1?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
There's a full 15 second trailer for Season 2 out there, with material from episodes 1 and 2 (and no others, it looks like). Some observations, with tons of spoiler tags just to be extra careful:
  • Stan wakes up at the desk in the basement lab with the same glasses, and nothing is obviously different about/around him
  • There's a broken cage in one of the rooms of the bunker; what was in it?
  • As pointed out on Reddit, Gideon has four fingers in the trailer; he has five in season 1, unlike all other child characters
  • The single-frame zodiac image at the end of the trailer is identical to season 1's, as far as I could tell

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Hungry Bit posted:

Heyoo, fan theory time.

Some specific evidence that backs up this fan theory (which is probably the most smoking-gun, "R+L=J" fan theory for this show):

- The license plate of Grunkle Stan's car is "STNLYMBL", even though his name is Stanford
- The whole glasses thing, as written about in the OP (Stanford's glasses have square tops; he finds round-top glasses in the hidden room; we see "Stan" in the past in the time travel episode wearing round-top glasses; and the round-top glasses are their own icon in the zodiac, along with Stanford's original fez design)
- In Dreamscaperers, when Stanford is being forced to box by his dad, we see a kid with a Dipper-esque haircut in the stands, his head buried in a book

To me, the only question is if Stanley trapped himself in another place, as you posit, or if he was tricked by Bill / is imprisoned by Bill. I really like your idea of the monsters of the week being accidentally unleashed by Stan, though.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

m2pt5 posted:

Also in Dreamscaperers, when Bill reflects on the name "Stan Pines", he's clearly thinking of the wrong Stan.

I thought that the symbol that appears in his rage-filled eye was Stanford's tattoo?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

m2pt5 posted:

Not that part, this part.

Isn't that Stanford, though? It looks like the regular straight-rimmed glasses. Is the hair supposed to be the distinguishing feature?

Thanks for the reminder! I've read all of these and totally forgot to put them in the OP.

edit: OH poo poo NEW TRAILER FOR EPISODE 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-K4zgfnyw

Contains, courtesy of reddit, a potentially big plot point: Stan is using the copy machine from Double Dipper to copy one of the journals! Is Dipper going to get his journal back, but as a copy? Has it been a copy the whole time?

edit 2: And the new, 4-minute-long season 2 trailer from SDCC, with special Fixin' It With Soos cameos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJvgZo_Rpc

Oh my god that trailer has so many hype things in it. Horrible animatronic puppets episode, Monty Python art gag, MORE BLENDIN BLANDIN, a scene with what looks to be Stanley Pines, members of the secret society...

pksage fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 27, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
That HD trailer is so much better than the hand-cam version. :allears:

Dipper's "Big Mysteries" board explicitly calls out Experiment 78 (the carpet), the red stained-glass Bill window, and Quentin Trembley. I doubt the latter will show up again -- though you never know -- but I wonder if that window is another experiment. It has a drawing of a key below it.

It looks like episode 3, "The Golf War", will be a war between the Pines kids and...Pacifica? She's in the golf cart with them on the minigolf course, and is pulled into some shrubbery later on.

The guy behind them as Dipper and Mabel look at journal #3 might not be Stanley Pines after all. Grunkle Stan's normal glasses look a little different in some of his shots in this trailer, and that scene looks to just be him covered in soot or dirt.

The "blindeye" mentioned in the season 1 finale cipher might be the name of the secret society in Gravity Falls -- the hooded figures behind Lazy Susan's distressed phone call have an eye insignia with an X through it on their hoods. Perhaps the Blindeye(s) exists to defeat Bill Cipher, having been started by one or both Stans after they defeated him last time?

The anime girl Soos is watching seems to have rainbow ATA cables for hair, which to me seems like a knowing parody of those anthropomorphic OS/browser/etc. girls. Oh, Alex. :swoon: Or maybe it's a mysterious life force from INSIDE THE GAME, DOODS! :tinfoil: I could absolutely see Soos falling for a self-aware anime waifu as a B-plot.

Actually, about my third spoiler box above, Stan seems to switch between the "thick at the top" glasses and the "thick all around" glasses in this trailer. Maybe that'll be a plot point? Maybe Stanford and Stanley are both here all season, don't tell the kids until the end, and the viewer can only tell which one is which by the glasses?

oh my goddddddddd is it friday yet

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
New thread name: The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Gravity Falls Season 2: Censoring Chins for Plot Reasons

But no, you have a very good point. Is there anything to back up that theory beyond the single flashback in Time Traveler's Pig? It's always possible that he just got fatter and the cleft melted into his weird old man jowls, right?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I shouldn't have said "theory", I agree with the overall theory; I meant that specific physical difference. I think it's more satisfying if they're perfect twins and you can't tell them apart.

But I got off my rear end and looked it up, and I'm wrong anyway because of Grunkle Stan's appearance in this picture: http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/File:S1e17_stan_and_carla_dancin.png So, yeah, it legitimately being a censored chin for plot reasons actually makes sense now.

edit: :siren: ONE MINUTE CLIP OF SCARY-OKE WITH AN AMAZING GUEST STAR (spoilers!) :siren:

pksage fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 30, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
There are some reports of episodes 1 AND 2 being available right now via some cable providers' On Demand! AHHHHHHHH! If you manage to watch the episodes before 9 PM EDT, please use spoiler tags as necessary.

Another interview with Alex Hirsh over at time.com.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Man, I was so excited, and these episodes did not disappoint in the slightest. I was only taken aback by the dramatically darker tone, as others have pointed out. Alex Hirsch's interviews focused on Dipper getting more intense with the investigation. It looks like the town is going to get just as intense in return.

Random observations (gonna keep doing aggressive spoiler tags until both eps have aired live):

- Stan clearly came out of the vending machine in front of the kids during the zombie fight, but Dipper didn't seem to notice; I wonder if that'll be revisited
- Holy poo poo those episodes were scary/creepy/dark compared to season 1; the "good luck getting any sleep tonight" line was spot on
- Candy and Grenda were perfect, all of the minor characters were great in Scary-oke except possibly the teenagers, who were a little flat
- Blowing up a ton of zombies' heads with Top 40 pop music is the most Gravity Falls thing ever
- I really enjoyed Grunkle Stan and Wendy's dual admissions to not being as oblivious as Dipper assumed they were ("I can hear what you whisper under your breath, you know!")

edit: how did I forget GRUNKLE STAN WRECKING poo poo LEFT AND RIGHT WITH BRASS KNUCKLES

And two separate spoilers about two popular theories:

- Stan clearly set the portal to scan for something, as shown by the 0.0000001% progress meter and red X's next to the various binary printouts; this seems to back up the "searching for Stanley across all dimensions" theory
- The author of the journals. One line of the shapeshifter's dialogue was a dead giveaway: "that six-fingered nerd hasn't been himself for 30 years". Who's the only character we know who is well above 30, is probably "not himself", wears a bandage on his hand at all times, and has a first name that starts with F? Fiddleford H. McGucket. Not to mention an affinity for technology that easily jives with the crazy poo poo in the bunker.

Also, I don't really START topics on SA very often, so is there a special restriction on editing OP subject lines? Possibly just in TV IV?

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 2, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
There's also at least one element to these episodes other than "mystery" vs. "characters/humor", which is that they're loaded with action scenes. Gravity Falls has always enjoyed its thrilling action scenes, ever since Tourist Trapped, and the ones in 2x01 and 2x02 just happened to be way longer and more involved than usual.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
This episode was painfully good. There were non-stop gags the entire time, especially when we're first introduced to the different Lilliputtian cultures. And just to hammer home this season's dark theme, we cap off the otherwise lighthearted episode with "let's slice open her stomach and take the sticker!"

Hoopy Frood posted:

Hermano is Spanish for brother, so the Hermano Brothers were the "Brothers brothers".

He was continuing the Arrested Development reference from the quoted post.

edit
Remember, Gravity Falls thread...

pksage fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 13, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Wittgen posted:

Did they explain Soos not being a zombie anymore? Just switching without explanation is cool, but with this show, I feel like I missed something.

There's a good half of a scene or so at the end of Scary-oke where they're discussing this.

"Wait! There's a page in here about curing zombification. It's gonna take a lot of formaldehyde."
"Ooh, and cinnamon!"
"Come on, Soos, let's fix you up."

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I just made the Fixin' It With Soos theme song into my ringtone, and my wife has taken "SOMEBODY GET THIS GIRL MORE CATS" as a notification tone. No idea why we didn't do this sooner, it's amazing. Everything is different now.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder if it will take place on F's laptop?

I cannot think of anything more Gravity Falls than Soos using the #1 piece of evidence for one of the top mysteries to date for this purpose, though I vaguely remember it being on his home PC from Fixin' It from the brief glimpse in the trailer.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

These are good :words:, I give these the Mystery Shack :words: seal of approval.

I don't have my hopes up too high that we'll get any puzzles involving mathematics of that complexity, but you never know! Personally I'm hoping for pieces of a puzzle that need to be skewed/rotated in 3D (think Contact) to be put together properly. Which sorta-kinda related to the :eng101: just explained!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Holy poo poo that Mabel wig is horrible. It looks like giant dog ears. :barf:

Gotta capitalize on SummerwHalloween coming up, I guess.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Nope! Tonight is the new episode, and has been for a while. The next episode is on September 22, and that's all of the episodes we know for now.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
This season is on fire. As mentioned, the Ave Maria scene had me absolutely losing my poo poo. When S2 episodes focus on comedy (pieces of Scary-oke and Into the Bunker, all of Golf War, maybe half of this episode), it is just nonstop amazing gags. Oh, Alex. :allears:

I think Dipper's sock puppet being adorably mad is also prime avatar material.

edit: Cleaned up the OP a little bit and got everything as up-to-date as possible.

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 10, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Slime posted:

After watching Fixin' it with Soos, I'm going to assume that the laptop didn't actually have those security features before. Soos just added them on because who doesn't put a password on their laptop? He didn't just fix it, he improved it.

Fix it! Do it! Accidentally unscrew it!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Solaris Knight posted:

I am beyond pumped for a Soos focused episode. In a show of Best Characters, Soos stands high above them all, wearing that jacket thing, shirtless, explosions going on around him. :allears:

Yes, please.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey, there is a new trailer for the next episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7I4mn2xo5U

Your face is good! I'm a Soos!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
The arcade in that trailer has Fight Fighters!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Some Numbers posted:

Are we expecting that it's a different arcade from the one they visited in Fight Fighters? Gravity Falls doesn't seem like a big enough town to have two arcades.

Based on the trailer, this is the Chuck-E-Cheese type place we saw in the original S2 trailer from SDCC. Soos takes a girl on a date to Chuck-E-Cheese. Sounds legit.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Gravity Falls is sister city to Pawnee, IN. (seriously Pawnee has everything for being a backwater Indiana town)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Laputanmachine posted:

Apparently Soos needs a date for his cousin's wedding and he uses a dating sim to practice talking to girls.

The animu waifu in the sim is a yandere and when Soos goes to the wedding to meet real girls, poo poo goes down. Basically Fight Fighters Yandere Waifu Championship Edition.

Here's how the episode will play out:

1. Dipper asks Soos if he can fix the laptop again or at least recover the HDD
2. Soos brings it home, learns he needs a date for the wedding
3. Soos either finds the dating sim on F's laptop or on the internet and uses it on his PC to practice
4. After a while -- possibly with a chiptune musical montage -- Soos decides either that he's ready to try on real women or that the AI is creeping him out too much, and he goes out to find a date
5. He scares away a few ladies ("I AM A SOOS"), and the downer part of the episode is Soos thinking he'll be alone forever, and he fixes the laptop to take his mind off of it, putting the dating sim on there in the process
6. Soos takes the laptop to Chuck-E-Cheese-analogue to give to Dipper, where he meets the brunette in the shorts, and they hit it off
7. The AI notices and flies into a jealous yandere rage, somehow jumping from the laptop to the horrible animatronic robots in the Chuck-E-Cheese
8. Big action scene where Soos dramatically saves the brunette from the rampaging AI
9. The episode ends with Dipper finally having the fixed laptop again; Soos says "after seeing me with that lame dating sim, dood, you probably think I'm a real loser", which the brunette laughs off; she says their second date, minus the killer children's mascots, should happen soon

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

don Jaime posted:

Awful lot of beaver in this episode....

I love cavorting!

This episode was good, because of course it was, but it wasn't GREAT, IMO; a lot of it fell a little flat for me. Any scene with Giffany animation: yes. Action scenes: definitely. Most of the one-liners and the end credits: absolutely! But some of the mundane shots between gags were a little bland, especially compared to The Golf War, another comedy-heavy episode. The environments were great, though, especially the mood set for the action scene. I don't know, I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it.

Also, I was a bit surprised that "FIXINIT1" wasn't the Vigenère key for the credits cipher (it was "BEARO").

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

XboxPants posted:

Specifically I'd like to read about the author identity

This one is actually fairly straightforward these days, thanks to Into the Bunker.

1. "That six-fingered nerd hasn't been himself in thirty years!" - The supposed author wears a bandage around his hand and is a bit mentally unstable.
2. PROPERTY OF F (laptop) - The supposed author's first name starts with F.

Before Into the Bunker, we had "OLDMANMCGKNOWS" as the final cipher from the PinesQuest web game, and...the fact that his hand is bandaged, pretty much. We also had a leaked production image that explicitly revealed the author, but it understandably made Alex Hirsch really mad, so it was verboten to link it. Honestly, at this point I think it's possible that he's written in a new plot twist to obsolete that production image.

The other big theorycrafting thing is Stan's twin brother, which is covered in the OP and all over the Internet, but we're happy to field any specific questions!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

These guys :allears:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Regy Rusty posted:

Considering that Dipper vs. Manliness is the worst episode of the show to date I'm not sure it's a good example.

"Worst episode" is a tough call between Dipper vs. Manliness, Little Dipper, and maybe Irrational Treasure. And even the bad episodes of Gravity Falls are good, for the most part. (Dipper vs. Manliness had a fun B-plot, not to mention "the smell of JERKY summoned me! JERKYYYYYY")

I would probably land on Little Dipper as the episode I am least likely to re-watch on purpose.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Mortanis posted:

Is this the first anomalous thing that's not from Gravity Falls? I mean, it's not like they say where it was programmed, and it'd be a little odd if it was made overseas and somehow coincidentally wound up in a shop in a town that happens to have all this crazy crap going on, but it seemed like it was the first thing that wasn't directly tied to the fact that Gravity Falls seems to be the hotspot for all this weird crap. We haven't really seen much evidence that the rest of the world has the same sort of supernatural shenanigans.

- Mermando was captured in the Gulf of Mexico (IIRC?) and brought to Gravity Falls by creepy fishermen. According to him, anyway.
- All of the crazy secret US history in Irrational Treasure is a nationwide thing.
- Time Baby/the Paradox Enforcement squad/etc.
- Fight Fighters was presumably manufactured elsewhere, though it could have been "modified" in Gravity Falls.
- Sev'ral Timez were on tour, meaning they were first cloned somewhere else.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Episode blurb for "Little Gift Shop of Horrors" (timg'd in case anyone doesn't want to read it):

Ahhhh it's gonna be a proper "Treehouse of Horror" homage! :swoon:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Oh poo poo you guys. The synopsis of episode 7 is out ("Little Gift Shop of Horrors" is episode 6), and it is VERY SPOILERY, be warned:

SUPER MEGA SPOILERS posted:

2x07 "Society of the Blind Eye" - Oct 27, 2014, Monday (8:30 PM - 9:00 PM ET/PT) on DISNEY XD

The kids, along with Old Man McGucket's help, discover there is a secret society in Gravity Falls.

October 27. The plottiest plot episode possible. Depending on how it plays out, that synopsis suggests that most of the outstanding mysteries will be resolved in episode 7, which is exciting because THEN WE GET NEW MYSTERIES! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
You kids don't know how good you have it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Surprised at the lukewarm reactions here, this episode's gags were amazing. I guess there were a few minutes of downtime here and there, but there were some great background gags, especially in the first bit. Witches Be Trippin'

• Locked thread