Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It feels like an eternity, but I'm glad they're dedicated to quality control. Thank god for the shorts though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

If I get any more excited about a TV show I am going to barf.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The new episodes were both a great start, and drat they went hardcore on the monsters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree these episodes weren't as "funny" and I missed the laugh-a-minute of some of the other episodes, but they were still incredibly strong and I think set a superb opening for season 2, which I'm sure will have many episodes with different tones, just like Season 1.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Disney really does want to keep it, because this show must be funded to the loving hilt. The animation in Gravity Falls is feature animation quality. Not necessarily Disney feature animation quality, e.g. Princess and the Frog, but it's absolutely comparable to feature animation that has come out of other studios.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeah. How did someone with a reg date of 2009 think it was a good idea to post his Tumblr here?

Well, usually the threads for popular media are chill compared to the rest of the forums.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

That was an amazing episode. Dipper had some great lines, Mabel was awesome and I want to know how they got away with that miner scene.

I guess cutting something even worse, like the zombie joke!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wiener castle :haw:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved the Zoobooks reference, those magazines rock. Also, such respect that it wasn't even ironic, it was just a Zoobooks rack :3:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, the timer is counting down far faster than realtime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mercury Hat posted:

Overall I liked the episode, and I liked that Melody wasn't some hot woman who inexplicably liked Soos's immature ways (like the woman in any Adam sandler movie).

I appreciated that as well. Melody seems to be a compatible kind of person with Soos, someone who loves whimsy and can really get behind a job that most people think isn't important.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dipper V. Manliness is my least favorite episode also.

It works to be that Giffany is one-dimensional because her entire point was "REAL women are awful and unpredictable and gross, so date an ideal!" (I forget the line but she says almost exactly that) and she's abundantly wrong about it and that's an evil point of view. In a way, Giffany isn't really a female character, and she's even trying to exempt herself from that category.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the voice-cracking mixtape was that episode, but it was actually the incredible bottomless pit episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc5D1UulGM

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't like it when a property that is oriented towards children [i]stops[i] being for them and becomes for adults (especially if people see that as the "logical" outcome of a kid's media property being high-quality). However, I think Gravity Falls has been pretty consistent about who it is for, with the exception of the last episode, which I liked but I think was far more strongly oriented at an adult audience than usual. Kids like this sort of thing, and it's been popular with kids, so I think it's doing a good job.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not to mention it's the mascot of OSU, and the official state nickname is the "Beaver state". Sorry that among some people it immediately means "vagina", in Oregon and in reference to Oregon it usually refers to an animal known as the "beaver" which was its original economic foundation due to hunting and trapping.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Adventure Time has very good animation, but Gravity Falls' is almost impossibly good, almost a prestige product. It's cinema-quality. Sure, not Disney cinema quality, but easily on part with other legitimate productions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can tell that was a composition decision. The composition on the shots is always really loving crazy good. Look at how it leads you from pointing Dipper (why's he pointing?) the footprint (that's why!) to Stan (how's he feel about this?) to the larger toes (oh my gosh, it's another footprint!)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's amazing :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wasn't too hot on this one either, but I loved the integrated stop-motion, especially the animation jokes.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess it also felt odd because they'd just done a lot of short films (between-season) which were all really good and felt tighter.

However, "Nooo, where's the heaaart?!" is one of my favorite lines from the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Candy speaks Korean when she talks about the sock puppet man.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a proportion of total cast, I don't think it's that bad, and it's getting better. You definitely don't want to go by the real numbers--the USA is 72% white in total, with Oregon at 83%, and even higher in rural areas. That said, it's not unreasonable to assume you're going to have fewer black characters in Gravity Falls than you would in Sesame Street. Blubs, Candy, Tambry, Rich, Soos, recurring bouncer, Lolph, Reginald, and various background models represent more diversity than actual rural Oregon, but it would be nice to see it revised upwards or for those characters to get more attention. The demographics are also a little affected by the main three characters being related, and given that it's based on Hirsch and his family, very possibly Jewish.

If you look at not even totally rural Oregon, like Burns or Myrtle Creek, you're talking 92%+ white with the rest almost entirely native American and Hispanic. I don't know if we have any NA characters yet, do we? That one actually feels pretty conspicuous.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 11, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Friends Are Evil posted:

There's a fan theory going around that Stan's notebook and coffee mug fall from the stargate into an alternate world in Rick and Morty.

I just checked and yep, that's legit. :stare:

e: My dad likes both shows and was quite amused by this also.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 28, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

By the way, the other "important tubes" were labeled Preston Northwest Memories and Jeffrey Cannock Memories. There's one for Mrs. Gleeful and one for Pacifica in one of the random piles.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For all they know, that laptop only had information regarding the creation of the shape-shifter. It could have helped them a ton or not much, no way to tell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's likely to have been a faked leak.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Especially given animation turnaround, if it were real, it'd have shown by now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was really impressed how this episode seemed like it would be a by-the-book tournament episode, but actually the "tournament" is like two minutes and the rest is excellent character development.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

Anyone else think that the reason Soos hated his birthday was going to be that Dipper and Mabel ruined it themselves somehow?

Yes, they avoided a lot of predictable plotlines, I was really happy with this one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cloks posted:

I think that's less important than the episode establishing how important the cast is to Soos. Such a good episode.

Why, when summer's over, they might even send him a postcard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The great thing is it probably affected very few kids, just spoiler-hungry internet dweebs like us :unsmith:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
... he did say "scrabdoodle" :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What if it were all a dream? But, like, a bad dream? Dipper's in a coma, Mabel died of a heroin overdose. It makes sense...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

Sure, I once read a huge essay about how Ash is in a coma and the entire Pokemon series is his coma dreams. I guess that's in the same category as "Squall is dead?"

What kind of loser gets his rear end kicked in his own coma

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Caught The Love God on on-demand with a friend, has some of the absolutely dirtiest jokes I've ever seen. :haw:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was a little on-the-nose about Portland/hipster culture, which is totally true but I don't know, those jokes get old.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't agree with that, except that Grunkle Stan seems really stuck in the C-plots lately. Funny as they are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The more I think about it, season 2 has had some of the highest highs and most boring lows (and in my mind, "boring" is the low for GF). I think Blendin's Game was about as good as it gets, Sock Opera as well, but the non-canon chapter episode was a bit dull. I'd still put Love God above that.

• Locked thread