Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on this about seven episodes in (not that it was bad, just couldn't really be fussed to carry on) and then was shown the last two episodes of s1 a few days ago and freaking adored them. Excited for this to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We don't want Korra in this thread either thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really disappointed the thread title isn't "Back to the Shack".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the premiere and it was awesome, not seen the second one yet though. Occ you are nuts that episode was just as funny as a lot of s1 episodes and far funnier than some, and you're just 100% wrong about the mysteries, okay bye

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That dude is wrong about it being hastily wrapped up though. They announced when it would end three years in advance. Shouldn't the fact they then had three years to wrap it up prove that the story presented actually was the one they wanted to make?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man you're right actually I totally forgot that the mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved how in season 1 they introduced all sorts of wacky townspeople and how they organically added to the humor on a level almost on par with classic Simpsons. In season 2 they were practically going off a checklist, naming background characters and giving them time to deliver a catchphrase before moving on to the next person to show off.

It was the season premiere of a show that hadn't been on for literally a year. I'm fine with them taking a little time to remind us about everyone. It wasn't the best but it didn't take up that much of the episode overall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would be inclined to agree just from this and AT alone. Stevie Universe still has pretty mediocre storytelling despite the amazing visuals/music and I have no idea what Wander Over Yonder is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What does it mean that he owns a lot of dragon dicks? I'm confused by this.

The arrangement of the theme was nice, though.

edit: VVVVV WHYYYYYY THE gently caress DID I GOOGLE THAT

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 8, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a perfectly fine post. What a weird thing to get angry about.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

A perfectly fine post.

I mean....yeah? He gets a bit excited but so what?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"The way you post about cartoons on the internet is worse than the way I post about cartoons on the internet!" is never an acceptable sentence unless the former person is actually posting about the characters boning or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that episode was fantastic. Wasn't really feeling it until the little golf dudes showed up, but everything from then onwards was hilarious. Glad Pacifica has a little more depth now because she was the most one-note stereotype character by a long way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

The bit where the W-neck flops over had me in stitched because, for some reason, I didn't realize that would happen.

Same. The placement and timing of that gag was perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People in a thread for a cartoon being elitist about a different thread for a cartoon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Livestream hosed up (likely to having thousands of other viewers) so I'm relegated to desperately searching for versions in 25 minutes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Change "season and a half" to "for the rest of this season" and I agree with you. Not about the two episodes themselves, which I loved (I totally bought the Stan/Ford split), but with the way the status quo they set up means they can ignore Ford when they want to do other things and not have to use Simmons very much, and that that is a cheap way to go about things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Imagine a different version of gravity falls season 2 where instead of the lovely red herrings to cap off every episode to further the serialized arc it was just a series of flashbacks detailing Stan and fords life up to the present day, so their reunion episode had been this huge moment that the show had super earned by seeding it throughout the season

tbf this is what I and I believe the fandom in general thought we were gonna get and although I still thought A Tale of Two Stans was a success (can't really explain it better other than I believed it all where you just didn't, I'm sure not looking through a cynical lens helped though) this clearly would have been the better way to go about things

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw his attitude is "the entire Gravity Falls thread is wrong and full of stupid idiots and I'm right and great" so don't expect any kind of decent replies

e: VVVV owned

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was just couch chat. And while I don't want to ruin the meme which does still amuse me I still say that line works if you replace "mysteries" with "supernatural monster things of the week" which is obv what he was going for. Not that I agree because I do think this show does serialisation well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best part about this is it's like 19 days until the next episode so this can carry on for weeks!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He doesn't like Over the Garden Wall either. He was bloody horrible about it on twitter!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 16, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uh now I (kinda sorta) feel bad because I was kind of messing around and those tweets are obvious jokes. yell at him for being a wrong dumbass about this show for sure but not these aha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oxx why don't you want to play Splatoon with me :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It scares me that you know that about Korra.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

it scares you that someone in a thread about a y7 show knows who voiced a character on another y7 that nearly everyone has watched?

this is not a good place to be on a high horse.

jokes are tough as poo poo, yo. it's like, someone says something they're not totally serious about? on the internet?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy about this as far as the show won't get stale and all that but it does mean when you look at the show as a whole it has some of the most bizarre pacing of all time. Like a 31-episode first act with the latter two crammed into 9. And I imagine ultrafans who figured everything out after episode 1 will be disappointed there was never more to unpack, but that's not really an issue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The second people in cartoon threads learn to ignore all Lamps posts the better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man Mabel has a really selective memory

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to check timezones, this starts in just over half an hour and finishes in 90 mins, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why is this not online yet

what the gently caress

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That finale was near-perfect, with the only major complaint I could possibly have being echoing that guys thing about Stan shoulda stayed amnesia'd. I know it's a kids show but storytelling is storytelling and all that and I never ever like when shows do a big sacrifice moment only to immediately reverse it. Also speaking of it was insane when I heard "time to go turn some children into corpses" on the Disney Channel.

Goodbye, Gravity Falls. You were never as good as the amazing shows on CN but as far as Western animation for children in this decade goes you're an extremely comfortable third place

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I realised by focusing on the memory loss thing earlier I didn't truly put enough attention into how much the episode owned

because the episode absolutely owned

I mean almost totally perfect in every way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Having the consequences of a heroic sacrifice just evaporate for no reason robs the actions of their impact which can piss people off.

This is kind of how I feel, except I'm nowhere near 'pissed off'. My opinion on it is that it's a negative element of the episode, but not anywhere near enough to affect my enjoyment.

For me, kids show or not, storytelling is storytelling, and having a character make a heroic sacrifice as part of the big finale only to reverse it immediately is a little cheap and lessens the impact of the sacrifice scene (which was, at least when it happened, by far my favourite scene in the finale). This isn't the first time I've not liked it in a piece of media. However, I do get that it's a kids show and could have been too dark and potentially not fit with the themes. But I still find it a little cheap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally found it to be a pretty hilarious episode. Especially Toby's lines.

"it's called.....Deathball."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would agree with that, Ditocoaf.

Hey, as someone who never really kept up with the fan theorising and Internet detective stuff, was the symbol circle actually mentioned that much in the show proper besides showing up during brief flashes and in the background? Because at least for me, having not pored over this stuff, it really seemed to come out of nowhere. It's an effective red herring if successfully built up earlier on (I think I'm using that term right but please correct me if not) but otherwise it was just kind of a weird way to spin wheels for a bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha remember when people used to genuinely throw around the term "nerd minstrel show"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

A really obvious one was a dropped Pacifica arc. Her season 2 episodes felt more like the start of character development, not the end of it.

But he already knew when he started on season 2 that it would be the last one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best selling Film and TV Book and already out of stock on Amazon UK. My housemate's birthday is in a month and this would be the perfect present for him, so hopefully they get it back in soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It came back in stock on Amazon UK, dispatch date is 3-5 weeks and the latest arrival date is one day after my housemate's birthday so screw it

• Locked thread