Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

pksage posted:

Some specific evidence that backs up this fan theory (which is probably the most smoking-gun, "R+L=J" fan theory for this show):

Also in Dreamscaperers, when Bill reflects on the name "Stan Pines", he's clearly thinking of the wrong Stan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pksage posted:

I thought that the symbol that appears in his rage-filled eye was Stanford's tattoo?

Not that part, this part. Where Gideon says "I need you to enter the mind of Stanford Pines and steal the code to his safe," and Bill turns around and says "Stan Pines..." to himself.

:nws: to prevent SALR auto-expanding image link.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pksage posted:

Isn't that Stanford, though? It looks like the regular straight-rimmed glasses. Is the hair supposed to be the distinguishing feature?

I'm not sure exactly but I thought it was determined that was Stanley.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pksage posted:

There are some reports of episodes 1 AND 2 being available right now via some cable providers' On Demand! AHHHHHHHH! If you manage to watch the episodes before 9 PM EDT, please use spoiler tags as necessary.

Yeah, apparently codes from both episodes have not only been leaked, but already decoded.

drat the internet is fast.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Aerox posted:

I just went back and grabbed one for you/us:

Link goes directly to the image -- consider it a spoiler.

Edit: Added the ones from both episodes

Scary-oke: http://i.imgur.com/Iz3i4PD.png

Into the Bunker: http://i.imgur.com/ohWU36p.png

THE MAN DOWNSTAIRS IS VERY CLEVER

CAN HE HIDE HIS PLANS FOREVER

and

IMPROPER USE OF MACHINERY COULD

LEAD TO UTTER CATASTROPHE

(I didn't decode them, I found those.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Has anyone decoded the bit of text on the Lepricorn page yet?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Just did it.
zdwfk rxw = watch out
nloo ph sohdvh = kill me please

Nice! How about the ones at the ends of the credits (before the full-screen things?)

SMOFZQA JDFV

and

OOIY DMEV VN IBWRKAMW BRUWLL.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Each episode has a key for those. The key for the first is widdle and the key for the second is shifter. There's websites that'll decode it.

Edit: There's also this one at the corner of Dipper's cork board. It's a bit hard to make out but the missing letters can be filled in by context. tev fp tbkav pl mbocbzq

Ooh, I overlooked that. Thanks!

Edit: For the corkboard one, using the decoder at themysteryofgravityfalls.com, ATBASH, then CAESAR-3, then ATBASH decodes it. Stumbled on that one by luck my first try.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 2, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Or you do a +3 Caesar and do the same thing. The letter shift is Exactly the same.

Yeah I know next to nothing about cyphers, especially by name. The site does have a +3 decode mode which does it on its own.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

So that whole theory on 3 or 4 fingers on a hand isn't really anything is it? Cause it just looks like adults have 4 fingers and kids have 3, but then also sometimes Gideon has 4.

If I remember correctly, throughout the first season Gideon had 4 fingers, but in the one brief shot of him in the S2 opener he has 3.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Zorglorfian posted:

P.S. Can someone help me make this Bill Cypher floating thing my avatar? Please? http://searchfortheblindeye.com/bill.gif

Not perfect, but here's a resize/crop I knocked out in a few minutes.

Someone else could probably do better.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Stan's lawyer is just Stan in a different suit and a fake mustache or something, c'mon. Why would he PAY for misrepresentation when he can do it himself?

FTFY

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the cipher key in this episode - it's unusual in that it's spread out over 3 seconds in the background rather than in a single shot like every previous episode this season. It's hidden in the background while Mabel is running in the part where she finds the spray bottle top for the anti-love potion.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Marzipan's Answering Machine is one of the most underrated sections in Homestar Runner.

If I remember correctly there are a couple answering machines that can be found that aren't actually in the "answering machine" toons list as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

FuriousMagician posted:

I watched all of Over the Garden Wall because of this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I have to try convincing all my friends to watch it. Thanks Alan!

Because of recommendations in this thread and elsewhere, I decided to give Over The Garden Wall a try. I don't really like the setting, but I do really like the characters. It took a while for them to grow on me though - I almost gave up because of the setting with the third episode, but I stuck it out for one more and that hooked me to the end.

Also having Christopher Lloyd as one of the voices helped.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I forget how to decode the browned paper things flashed at the end. This one has this three times:

5-4-23-10-15-5-10-9-4-1-16-23-4-16-19-5-19-19-11-5

Edit: Found it on reddit, apparently it's STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS but we all pretty much knew that already, and it seems to refer to the next episode's title.

Also, the credits code:

PYOL YS QH LLFJDW:
UAH DNCVFW ZTCKW XKG WFFWWKNLLMRP?
WISAGCXJ AR WKUISW! DPX WDSUKXR: KKH UBFO

edit:
NEXT UP ON UTBAHC:
DID ALIENS WRITE THE CONSTITUTION?
CRAWDADS IN TIBRAS! AND FLORIDA: THE SHOW

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 17, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

One more thing people have pointed out - this is from episode 2 of this season (it's the shapeshifter), and this is from this episode (spoilers.) May or may not be a coincidence.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Between the last episode and this one, I managed to watch all of Adventure Time, and after this episode I realized that Candy has the same voice actress as BMO (only without an electronic voice filter.)

Also Mabel and Jake Jr. have the same VA, but I figured that out after like Jake Jr's second speaking appearance.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Chances are, despite the Society's actions, a lot of people still knew supernatural stuff was going on - the Northwests knew the ghost was coming, and not just because of actual hauntings.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

one is stan, one is the brother

But the brother Stan has both the glasses and the six fingers.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hopefully someone can find the posts where stuff is answered and link them directly, for those of us who can't be arsed to search 3000+ posts.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

don Jaime posted:

My childhood!

That's Mr. M, Munching Mouth. My first week of kindergarten we listened to a record of him singing about things that started with M that he liked to eat, and there was a little book that went with it. And an inflatable Mr. M. These were the Letter People, one for every letter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letter_People

Consonants were male, vowels were female, all were a little hosed up. I didn't realize there was a puppet show too. Here's Mr. M singing his song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS8GTWOSA60

I guess a living cypher would be obsessed with Letter People. Weird to see them again after 35 years.

I remember the puppet show, but I didn't know there was any other form of Letter People. And that Mr. M video takes me WAY back.

Edit: Apparently there was a series remake in the 90's where they ditched the 'female vowels' concept and instead made half the letters female.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 3, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

derekcooper posted:

The plot thickens

Unless he's just stirring the pot again, like he did with the fake McGucket picture.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alex Hirsch posted:

Every mystery has a beginning. "A Tale Of Two Stans" premieres July 13th on DisneyXD! #GravityFalls #TheShackIsBack

Finally, a date!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Here's the thing they flash at the end.

http://i.imgur.com/CWiHkkB.jpg

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

So how many episodes until we catch Dipper sneaking down to the basement to grill Ford?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

The only disappointing thing about this is that now the show has gone all Adventure Time with having a large complex metanarrative in play instead of just being summer fun with a few dumb kids.

What do you mean "now"?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

It was something about predicting Bill Cipher's arrival and saying it would doom the town.

From the wiki:

quote:

After Young Fiddleford stuck his head through the Portal, he says YROO XRKSVI GIRZMTOV backwards. Once this Atbash cryptogram is decoded, this reads BILL CIPHER TRIANGLE. (Old Man McGucket said this previously in one of his memories in "Society of the Blind Eye.")

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I don't know that it actually means anything, but the WHOIS says it's registered to someone in New Zealand, so it's probably just a fan thing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nah, it's listed in the StanPines4Mayor twitter account linked earlier.

Is it? Huh, I didn't see it.

Edit: Oh, duh, it's the website link in the sidebar.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 22, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

drat, these four (so far) episodes are the closest together we've had episodes in like a year.

AND WE'RE STILL ON THE SAME loving SEASON. :argh: DISNEY!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does anyone have a picture of the end cards put together?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for trying, but it's missing three of them. I count 11 when there are 14 episodes out right now.

Huh, my mistake, I just posted the first one I found on /r/gravityfalls. This one seems to be complete, though it also has the projected faces on it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Welp, there goes the rest of the series.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Grenda was great as always, and I liked Dipper ending up at least becoming better friends with Mabel's friends.

Here's all the crap decoded for those who don't want to figure it out themselves.

End card: (Current Puzzle)

CARLA MCCORKLE RETURNED ALL HIS FLOWERS

MARILYN DIVORCED HIM AFTER ONLY SIX HOURS

BEATRICE SLAPPED HIM FOR BEING A CAD

OLD GOLDIE'S THE BEST GIRLFRIEND STAN EVER HAD

Credits Cipher:

SOOS, LIKE A NOBLE GOLDEN RETRIEVER, EVENTUALLY FOUND HIS WAY HOMEWARD, AND BEFRIENDED A TALKING BULLDOG AND SASSY CAT ALONG THE WAY.

Keyword is DOPPER, and the guy who found it just guessed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Holy poo poo this episode.

The end card cipher says:

THE PROPHECY SEEMED FAR AWAY
BUT FINALLY WE'VE REACHED THE DAY
GIVE UP THE PAST EMBRACE THE STRANGE
EVERYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT WILL CHANGE

And the credits cipher says:

"Did you miss me?" with the key of 'blue book'

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, same. I would've thought the thing would be more durable than the average egg.

And if it was that fragile, why the gently caress was Dipper carrying it around in his backpack? It should have been in one of Ford's sealed cabinets, and they could just take the alien glue back to it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Red Oktober posted:

That said, I always assumed that was for the connivence of the viewer, as no-one ever reacts to it. But it's possible that Mabel did, and not just to the laughter.

Nope, it's in-world. Remember when Dipper thought Bill had possessed Ford? Ford told him to "look at his eyes" to verify that he wasn't.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Hey whatever happened to Blendin.

Blendin clearly went back to the future to become the new Time Baby. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Soup du Jour posted:

"what could have been"

It could have not taken four loving years to get through 40 episodes.

• Locked thread