Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Finally got around to reading The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain and I thought it was fairly enjoyable, if a bit brief. It was refreshing to read a hard-boiled book from the criminal's point of view. Can't say I liked it more than anything of Chandler's but it was good enough to induce buying the rest of his bibliography. Also the most recent editions of Cain's books have some great noir inspired cover art that looks great on the shelf.

I also caved and bought L.A. Confidential but I've heard really mixed opinions on Ellroy. If it's half as good as the movie I'll be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

I finished L.A. Confidential a week ago or so, and the fact that they turned that book into a cogent two hour movie is pretty incredible. I liked both versions but probably prefer the movie. But holy poo poo when Ed kills the Nite Owl Suspects in cold blood I was really freaking surprised. My only problem was there was such a huge cast I kept forgetting who people were. One of those character cheat sheets in Russian novels would have helped out. Still, the book was pretty much impossible to put down so Elroy is doing something right.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Xotl posted:

While I liked LA Confidential, I also found it overstuffed and overall enjoyed The Big Nowhere a lot more. The Black Dahlia and White Jazz, the series bookends, I actively disliked.

Oh I can definitely see L.A. Confidential as overstuffed. The whole like serial killer subplot and Vincennes backstory added like at least a hundred paged to an already packed book. I think I'll check out his other works just because of how engrossing L.A. Confidential was.

• Locked thread