Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

blakout posted:

I'm almost done with Gone Baby Gone by Dennis LeHaye and its a great great bit of detective fiction. Kinsey and Genaro are a great partnership and the way the case gets under everyone's skin like a creeping sort of cancer is very well done. It is pretty dark though.
That's book 4 out of a book 6 series. It starts out very strong but I think that the last one, Moonlight Mile is noticeably weaker than the rest (plot ends in anticlimax and Angie Gennaro is missing for large parts of the book). I have to say that the first three are really excellent though. They are A Drink Before the War, Darkness Take My Hand and Sacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

OilSlick posted:

I've been meaning to read Gone Baby Gone. I understand it's the fourth book in a series about a pair of private investigators. Do I need to read the first 3? Are they any good?
The first three are very good (and arguably the stronger half of the series).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

blakout posted:

The first one is 90s as all hell that's either a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.
Yeah, it's really goddamn 90s (but then, it was written in the 90s).

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Pink Robot Army posted:

Just finished Bankok 8 by John Burdett and it really kind of blew me away. Definitely has a modern hardboiled feel (instead of existential anti-hero, it's got an outsider buddhist), really filled me with that same sense of mystery and dread. Just picked up A Drink Before the War, so hoping for good things from that.
The first few books were pretty good, but the last one went off the rails in a big way.

• Locked thread