Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've read a couple McBains but they honestly really meld together in my mind. They're functional and decently written, but don't expect anything groundbreaking or even particularly good. It's probably symbolic of the police work described - competent, but routine, don't expect to be amazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

I finally got around to this. It was quite surprising, but I enjoyed it.
Really? I liked it, but my main gripe was with how predictable the ending was.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been really enjoying the Easy Rawlins series. Black protagonist is a really interesting way to reinvent period noir (esp. Given the recent news articles that Sam Spade may have been based on a black P.I., etc.)
Really? I loved the first one, snoozed through the second and didn't bother finishing the third; I thought Mosley stopped writing a story and went full on social critique by that point.
e: Might be because I'm not American and thus rather disconnected from that part of history, but as detective stories, the second and third book just didn't do it for me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 1, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Danger posted:

Big Nowhere is my favorite though.
Same here. It's a shame it's the one that gets the least recognition, people usually rant about Black Dahlia and LA Confidential.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Speaking of off-template hardboiled, I really liked Mieville's The City &The City and Chabon 's Yiddish Policemens Union.
I'll add Club Dumas to that. Not a traditional detective story but a pretty fantastic read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

This sounds fascinating, thanks for the write up!
They're for the most part utterly fantastic, although very much cozy mysteries; detective books don't get much more soft-boiled than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Same here. I kind of wonder why is The Big Nowhere the one that usually gets glazed over - Black Dahlia and LA Confidential are famous and White Jazz gets infamy for the almost comprehensible style it's written in. But I think that as a story, TBN is easily the best of the bunch.

• Locked thread